PDA

View Full Version : Panic again

nigela
11-03-15, 15:41
Hi
I have been able to control my anxiety and not had a panic attack whilst out for a while. I was shocked last week out walking my dog-as usually ok when not on own-the feeling of not being bale to move and get back home was over whelming and my heart thumped like it was coming out of my chest. The same thing happened a week on-I had thought oh o I hope I don't feel like that agin-then wham it happened. I cannot top thinking about it. I had been feeling a bit fed up a few days before it kicked off again. I am waiting to go for an MRI scan for a back problem and wanted to use the open scanner -however I have been told I must try the tube enclosed one first(crazy when the open side one was invented for folk like us!)-this has been playing on my mind. gave me nightmares in fact! Could this have triggered me to have a panic attack when out again. feels like 10 steps forward and 20 back now.I am 4 years into meno and getting hot flushes again so may be hormone related. I cannot take HRT tho. Going to try some herbs. Any advice as this has really upset me as I thought I could stop it happening and I could not!
Help!
Nigela

nigela
19-03-15, 11:14
hello anyone there/!

Dazza123
19-03-15, 12:47
The scan is on your mind so of course its going to build up inside you, and have the potential to bring on a panic attack. We are all the same arent we, we think we are handling something but our brains decide we are not and hit us when we least expect it.

I am sure the scan will be fine, because you can handle it. Imagine in your mind the scan, what will happen, and when happens when its over, ie you get out and all is well. So instead of seeing the worst case scenario, of you not being able to handle it, picture yourself doing it and coming out ok at the other end, just use some mind control. Nothing in the scanner is going to hurt you, you will not become trapped, its a simple process that happens ever day and goes extremely well for everyone, including you :)

I can't comment on the hormone stuff, but Im sure that is making you very up and down also, just try to relax and tell yourself you will be ok, because you will be :)

nigela
22-03-15, 12:09
Thank you for your very positive reply! that is just what I needed! I know you are right!
Thanks again
Nigela

nigela
23-03-15, 11:32
Thank you for your very positive reply! that is just what I needed! I know you are right!
Thanks again
Nigela
x

Deepthinker
23-03-15, 14:17
hi, nigela! i hope you are feeling better.:hugs: i agree with dazza as well. thinking about something that is about to happen and that you are dreading is fertile ground for a panic attack and i'm sure that is what caused it; but, just like we have the ability to scare ourselves silly with fearful thoughts, we also have the ability to calm ourselves with our thoughts. this is not easy, i know, but if you will talk to yourself in a positive way it will help. when or if those panicky thoughts come, acknowledge them and tell yourself that "this is panic and i don't like it but i recognize it for what it is. i know i am going to be okay and that this a routine procedure that is performed everyday on thousands of people all over the world." remind yourself that you will not get stuck because no one has ever been permanently stuck in an mri machine. talk to yourself as you would talk to a friend, family member, or child who is frightened. comfort yourself as you would them. you might even eventually learn to laugh at some of the things that once frightened you. i chuckle now at some of the things that i once imagined happening. i wish you the very best and i know all will be well. let us know how it all goes. blessings!

nigela
24-03-15, 10:38
Thank you so much for your reply
I will try to remember these things!
it was helpful
Nigela xx

PanicAttackGurl
24-03-15, 15:53
For the hormones, I am Peri-menopausal and I use a cool down cloth made by Poise called hot flash cool down cloth. It really helps with the hot flashes. If I don't have a package in my purse while out, I grab paper towels from the ladies room and wet them with cold water and apply to my neck. I've found that placing under earlobes really helps. Could just be my reaction, but the cold right behind my ears seems to stop the hot flash quickly. I hope this helps.

nigela
25-03-15, 14:50
thanks I will try this! wish could stop the panic as fast tho!
Nigela