PDA

View Full Version : Visable stomach vein?

JustJoe25
12-03-15, 20:57
Okay you might of read the post about my veins showing, doctor said its normal but I noticed this small blue dot like thing on my stomach. I am assuming it's a vein but I'm not sure and it's had me really worried. I know it's hard to see but here it is. You might have to zoom in some. I'm not sure if it's always been there and is something I'm more aware of or something new that I should be concerned about. Here is the link. You might have to copy and paste if clicking doesn't work.

http://imgur.com/0nrT1ko

Light_Bringer777
13-03-15, 14:42
99.99% sure that's a vein, yes. Looks like nothing to worry about in my opinion, especially if a doctor said it was normal too! I get these apparent, slightly bulging veins all over, not on the stomach personally but I'll blame my belly fat for that.

It's probably something like the small cousin of a varicose vein (like the veins on older people's legs often), something like that. Just a vein that's dilated over time and now appears bigger and more visible. Some people have veins much closer to the skin in certain areas too, making these more probable.

Chances are it wasn't always there or wasn't always as apparent, and it might evolve slightly over the years, but it's nothing to worry about :)

Double "http://" on your link btw.

JustJoe25
13-03-15, 17:01
Thanks for the reply. I didn't ask the doctor about this vein just the ones in my arms and legs which she said was normal. I think you are right though I just got worried and wasn't sure why I was noticing this vein and why it seemed so little.

JustJoe25
13-03-15, 21:34
Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I know I shouldn't of but I googled dilated vein in stomach and that was a bad idea because all it did was terrify me. BTW the link has been fixed.

Fishmanpa
13-03-15, 22:05
With all due respect, this is an irrational fear, especially in light of a medical professional giving you the all clear. Seeing veins is normal and how visible they are varies depending on body fat content, skin tone etc. There was nothing at all in that photo that would raise a red flag IMO.

When I was into body building many years ago, you could see bulging veins to the Nth degree all over my body, especially right after a workout.

I would look into getting help with your anxiety above all else. To be fixated and worried by such a normal aspect of the human anatomy indicates an abnormally high anxiety issue.... That, and the fact you're posting on an anxiety forum... if you know what I mean ;)

Positive thoughts

JustJoe25
13-03-15, 22:12
Thanks for the reply Fishman. I do believe I need to get help with my anxiety, but the doctor didn't take a look at that vein, in fact I didn't even think to ask her. I showed her my arms and legs, she took a quick look and said that's normal and didn't give it a second thought. My skin is pale but my stomach isn't small by any means. The vein is also always noticeable not just during a workout, though I usually have to look closely for it.

Fishmanpa
13-03-15, 22:21
I usually have to look closely for it.

And there it is!!.... You just not seeing the forest for the trees. If you weren't obsessively self examining (OCD and HA are closely related) and fixated on a benign and normal aspect of your anatomy, you wouldn't even give it a second thought. You're behavior is classic HA.

Do what you want, say what you will. You can continue on this spiral or decide to stop it in it's tracks. If you find it difficult to do so, seek help from a professional.

Good luck and positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-15, 06:14
It’s an 'ab' just kidding! :D

I used to lift a fair bit and I agree with FMP. Not only do your veins show more because they are pumped but the the bloodflow is improved overall due to being fitter and changes in muscle will cause veins to be lifted or moved slightly even if you are not ripped. I've put on weight (need to get back on the iron!!!) and I can still see veins all over my body. Not in my stomach though as I've put more on there but I can easily see them in my chest.

Women often have them visible in their chest too and that is a fatty area as opposed to more muscular in men (sorry ladies, I just mean higher fat to muscle ratio, not that any of you are fat if you can see a vein!). Believe me, I've done some close investigation of this fact in the past...:winks::D

I think you are focussing on something that was there already or has appeared probably due to a physical change such as your lifting and your anxiety is leading you to believe it is something it is not. The fact that it started with the arms & legs which was checked by a GP and now its this, does suggest the HA cycle and you have the phrases such as FMP mentioned e.g. needing to zoom in, look closely, etc.

---------- Post added at 06:14 ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 ----------

When I was into body building many years ago, you could see bulging veins to the Nth degree all over my body, especially right after a workout.

Only after a workout? :winks::D

JustJoe25
16-03-15, 04:47
Thanks for the reply Terry. I'm sure you are right and it's nothing to be concerned about. I was just scared because when I googled (bad idea) all I could find was about abdomen veins that had to do with liver cirrosis Obviously nothing like what I have as those were full veins where this is just like a dot. It certainly didn't help my HA any. I'm glad everyone who has replied so far doesn't think it's anything to worry about. It does help.