PDA

View Full Version : Please Help, Brown Spot Under Fingernail

Carlh
13-03-15, 10:57
Hello Everyone.

I have a painful brown spot under my nail, it has a very faint line running from this towards my finger.

Would melanoma be painful to touch, as though I had banged the nail?

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 10:57 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

htt p://postimg . org/image/f1z0tu2z9/

Join together for pic

MyNameIsTerry
13-03-15, 10:59
Hi Carl and welcome to NMP :welcome:

I don't know about melanoma but I do get things like this under my toenails because I do a lot of walking on a daily basis. I've had them for months at a time and they have been because of how my toes have banged against the inside of my boots or due to continued rubbing and even due to slightly too small boots once that also took half my big toe nail off.

They can be a mixture of dried blood hence taking forever to go when they are deep under nails and I find mine are a mixture of red and brown.

So, have you had an bangs or stubbed it or done anything that involves any impact or rubbing maybe?

Carlh
13-03-15, 11:56
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply, i'm unaware of any bangs to the nail, although I doubt it would be something I remember unless it was a severe bang.

The worrying part of this, is the faint line from the spot going down into my finger..

Carl.

MyNameIsTerry
13-03-15, 12:06
I'm not sure on that to be honest so hopefully someone else can shed some light on it but a possible damaged minor blood vessel (if trauma occureed) springs to mind. If it is, these are nothing to worry about as the blood supply is rerouted through others until it is repaired.

Carlh
13-03-15, 13:12
Thanks again Terry. On closer inspection, when I turn my hand, under certain light it looks like a mini hole under the nail rather than a brown spot.

I have an appointment booked in for Wednesday anyway.

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-15, 05:12
Only a doctor can say but looking at the image the line you say is running from it has a similiar one further along that is not connected. It could be the image though. Maybe that was there before and the spot or mini hole has appeared and there is no connection? I've had a couple of yellowish spots underneath my fingernails in the past and they heal on their own. Sometimes they have been typically filled spots and sometimes they looked more part of the nail than the skin.

It would be very easy to create something that small from impact. Typically, you would expect a larger area with impact that you feel so it follows that one that small may have not been noticed at the time.