PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety, panic and paranoia or bipolar

Jennabell
13-03-15, 18:08
I have had anxiety and panic attacks for years, but recently have lost touch with reality two times. In other words, its starts off as that on-edge feeling, high anxiety, and a panic attack that seems to go on for two weeks... in those two weeks, I feel very nervous, racing intrusive thoughts, paranoid and frightened of everything and think im a bad person, criminal etc and cant seem to calm down. from the outside, I look slow moving and depressed, but on the inside, im racing and very paranoid. I have a lot of stressors in life right now, mainly being alone with my two kids in a strange town while my husband works two states away and I try to sell the house. Well, my GP put me on generic celexa to help with the anxiety and panic, and its only been two weeks, and I haven't noticed much... UNTIL, I realized that im not as nervous about things. For example, when my phone rings, I normally get my heart in my throat, weak in the knees, and think, "OMG whos calling? I bet it my sons school, he got hurt in gym, hes bleeding in the brain!" and its instant panic until I look at the caller id and see how nuts I was. Now, when the phone rings, I think, "oh, the phones ringing." this may sound ridiculous, but it is helping tremendously. However, I also see a psychologist, who fears that these two times I lost touch with reality may have been my first manic episodes, thus possibly leaning towards a bipolar diagnosis (mixed agitation). The thing is, the citalopram is an antidepressant which can aggravate bipolar, whereas if used for anxiety and panic can help it. I guess what im asking is, do you think this will turn on me? did I go manic? or can these paranoid thoughts be part of extreme anxiety and panic disorder manifesting in an awful way? ive only been on the celexa for two weeks and feel a sense of calm that I haven't had in years. is this too good to be true? thanks for any help, it is a lot easier to "talk" about this online to strangers that share some insight than it is to admit this in person.