PDA

View Full Version : Scared again?? Does my mum have cancer??

Toby2000
13-03-15, 21:24
Hi,

So atm I'm so scared my mum has throat cancer! Her symptoms are:

Hoarse Voice

This doesn't happen all the time. It's only when she doesn't speak for a long time. It's like her voice goes under tone and croaky, which goes away when she clears her throat.

Dry Ticky cough

She has also had a dry ticky cough for at least 7-8 months now. It's that kinda cough that makes you have the urge to clear your throat a lot, with no phlegm being produced. Not chesty.

She says that she's not out of breath, not lost her appetite, doesn't have trouble swallowing, doesn't have any pain swallowing, clear phlegm, doesn't have a lump in her neck, no earrache. The symptoms listed above are her only symptoms.

I'm really trying hard not to worry about this. I worried that she had lung cancer once and it turned out that she hadn't got it. Do you think I need to worry about this? Please can you give me your opinion, I don't care what it is I just need some form of reassurance, fact or whatever. I've expressed my worries to her and she says that there's no need to worry.

Do you think she has cancer? :unsure:

Toby

wnsos
13-03-15, 22:21
We really aren't qualified to answer questions like this because only doctors can really say, however, judging by your state of high anxiety I'd say it's more likely it's that making you think too much about it. Some people with HA end up projecting their worries about their own body on to people they love.

anthrokid
13-03-15, 23:10
As wnsos said, and as I have mentioned before, no one on the site is an expert in the medical field. We cannot advise on medical issues. Most people, however, are experts on anxiety due to their own experiences. The more likely scenario is probably that you are very anxious at the moment and you are interpreting harmless symptoms as something dangerous and life threatening. The problem at the moment is not your physical health, not the physical health of your mother, the problem is your anxiety. Anxiety can do crazy things to people and can make you experience symptoms that aren't necessarily health related. When you treat the anxiety and learn to manage your symptoms, your health concerns will resolve.