PDA

View Full Version : Does my sister have cancer?

Toby2000
14-03-15, 20:10
Okay, hi.

The thing is at the moment is that my 9 year old sister is quite ill, and surprise-surprise; I'm scared that she has leukemia!

This all started after she came home from her friends house after swimming:

Her symptoms:

Sore throat
Fatigue (she's in bed and is all grouchy)
Fever
Headache

She's also had a couple of stomach bugs in the past 1 1/2 months too, which makes me think that she's having frequent illnesses.

I'm probably being irrational, but what do you think?

Thanks
Toby :unsure:

RoseEve
14-03-15, 20:26
Are there more than usual leukemia threads or am I imagining it? The only way to know for sure is a blood test. How old are you? Talk to your parents if you are concerned about your sister. They will know what to do. That being said it sounds to me like she has a cold.

wnsos
14-03-15, 21:04
Didn't you just post yesterday asking if your mum might have it? Think about it. HA is awful and can get us in a right tizzy, what you need to do is see your pattern and go from there. Hopefully this makes sense.

Toby2000
14-03-15, 21:48
I know, HA is horrible. I do notice the pattern, but it's just a horrible worry I have atm and I'm really quite scared. :ohmy:

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

I have what feels like a twisted ankle now, even though not having done any physical activity! Here we go.... :lac:

anthrokid
14-03-15, 23:35
The problem at the moment isn't that anyone is unwell, it is that your anxiety is out of control. You are so scared of cancer and leukemia that you've started interpreting symptoms (even things you wouldn't normally notice, or things that are relatively harmless) as something serious. Think about it - you are worried about yourself having leukemia, you are worried about your mum having cancer, and now you are worried about your sister having leukemia - what are the actual odds that you would ALL have a form of cancer at the same time? Pretty close to zero I would think :)

Toby2000
14-03-15, 23:47
My older sister had a huge stomach tumor when she was younger and she was going to die if it wasn't removed, so that plays a pretty big part in my anxiety of my family becoming ill. Whenever she goes for her check up scans I feel really scared that the tumor may come back.

My mums voice can go all hoarse a lot, which I read is an early symptom of throat cancer and I can't think of it as being harmless. Using logic, I'd imagine she'd have what feels like a lump in her throat etc. which she says she doesn't have. But I'm scared she's just saying that for my peace of mind!

anthrokid
14-03-15, 23:58
Given that your older sister had a tumor, and that is was quite serious, it isn't surprising that you are dealing with this type of anxiety. It must have been quite a frightening experience to go through, and I understand how you could be concerned about other family members o yourself suffering from cancer. However, it would still be super duper improbable for you, your mother and your younger sister to have cancer all at the same time. I am really hoping that you can see your doctor or nurse at school very soon so you can discuss this and work on your anxiety about it. You are obviously quite distressed by it and this is really impacting on your life. Hopefully you'll have some extra support soon and you'll be able to work past it :)

Toby2000
15-03-15, 00:47
Thanks. Sorry if I'm getting annoying haha :)

wnsos
15-03-15, 12:00
My older sister had a huge stomach tumor when she was younger and she was going to die if it wasn't removed, so that plays a pretty big part in my anxiety of my family becoming ill. Whenever she goes for her check up scans I feel really scared that the tumor may come back.

My mums voice can go all hoarse a lot, which I read is an early symptom of throat cancer and I can't think of it as being harmless. Using logic, I'd imagine she'd have what feels like a lump in her throat etc. which she says she doesn't have. But I'm scared she's just saying that for my peace of mind!

So sorry to hear about your sister :hugs: no wonder your HA is through the roof! Anyone's would be. It's so so hard since when it's at its worst, HA can beat down even the most logical of people (I'm a Virgo and always am a bit too logical for my own good but when I had HA I was out of control and I remember being like "why can't I be logical?? Because it's REAL.) but cling to it best you can xx

Lee2475
15-03-15, 13:07
Anyway why are you reading up on the Internet?
Just because your mum's voice hoarses doesn't mean it's an early sign of throat cancer, mine does sometimes,, stress can cause this, integestion can do this as well, a cold can cause this.
Your reading into it too much and using Google is the worst possible thing you could be doing.
Everything you punch in on google seems to come up with the worst, I've done it myself now I don't as it will freak me out, and if I'm worried I go doctors, he told me don't use the Internet.
If I Google what things I felt sometimes I would be in some serious trouble.
I know what it's like, I'm not having ago, sounds like you need to visit your doctor and get this all sorted out asap.

Toby2000
15-03-15, 19:14
So sorry to hear about your sister :hugs: no wonder your HA is through the roof! Anyone's would be. It's so so hard since when it's at its worst, HA can beat down even the most logical of people (I'm a Virgo and always am a bit too logical for my own good but when I had HA I was out of control and I remember being like "why can't I be logical?? Because it's REAL.) but cling to it best you can xx

Thanks for your reply, she's completely cleared now. :)

I'm a virgo too, so I can relate

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Anyway why are you reading up on the Internet?
Just because your mum's voice hoarses doesn't mean it's an early sign of throat cancer, mine does sometimes,, stress can cause this, integestion can do this as well, a cold can cause this.
Your reading into it too much and using Google is the worst possible thing you could be doing.
Everything you punch in on google seems to come up with the worst, I've done it myself now I don't as it will freak me out, and if I'm worried I go doctors, he told me don't use the Internet.
If I Google what things I felt sometimes I would be in some serious trouble.
I know what it's like, I'm not having ago, sounds like you need to visit your doctor and get this all sorted out asap.

Thanks this made me feel much better! :)

I just always assume the worse :(

MyNameIsTerry
16-03-15, 05:01
Thanks this made me feel much better! :)

I just always assume the worse :(

Toby, there is assuming the worst and then there is Cognitive Distortions found in anxiety disorders where you can't see outside of your own narrow viewpoint. Some anxiety disorders, particular HA, have a cycle that involves intense worry with short lived relief from reassurance and across the last few threads you have found some reassurance from what others have said and explained you feel better but then you are creating another thread about similiar worries.

Many people go through this and its understandable so people will be patient and try to advise you but there is a pattern there that people on here can see and they've been through it so they remember how horrible it is and they want you to see this so that you take the steps needed to get help.

In therapy they will help you by showing you how to recognise these thoughts & patterns and give you tools & techniques that help you to break them. Its going to be hard work, but wouldn't it be nice if you didn't assume the worst and don't panic over things like this?

My mum had been coughing for months. Did she worry? No. She enventually asked her GP to look into it and it was just excess fluid on her lungs caused by one of her medications. Easily resolved. But the advert "coughing for weeks?" jumps straight to cancer to provoke people into taking action but the majority of them are going to be finding its something simple. There are 2 other adverts I've seen where cancer is stated but there are many reasons for the symptoms but you will see people on here panicking over those very symptoms.

Right now you can access CAMHS who will help you and then you can work on recovery and have a better standard of living. Its worth it!