PDA

View Full Version : new guy.

rotary_x7
18-01-07, 03:07
Hey all.. I'm new to the forum just thought I'd introduce myself and give a background. I'm a 17 y/o guy diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) and depression. In the past i have been diagnosed with separation anxiety. I have pretty much battled anxiety my entire life, I have been on medication for separation anxiety in the past. I was on Celexa for about a year, and decided i was "cured" and stopped pretty much cold turkey with no side effects. I have been medication free and relatively anxiety free for about 2 years.

Until recently.. on December 22nd my aunt passed away suddenly. At first i was fine.. i mean i was upset but I handled it fairly well, we weren't extremely close you could say.. instead of dealing with how i felt about it though i guess i sub-consciously decided i would focus on making sure everyone around me was okay especially my mother (her sister was the one who passed). So through the whole process (funeral etc..) i was okay.

But then on January 2nd, i was hit with a full blown panic attack, one like I've never experienced before in my life.. i ended up having to get rushed to the hospital at 4am because i pretty much thought i was gonna die. I guess all the emotions that i bottled up while making sure my mom was okay just exploded.

Now unfortunately the repercussions of that panic attack have been that my anxiety has returned in the form of just GAD and now i am fully depressed. I have had no motivation to do anything, I've had brief thoughts of suicide (which scares the crap out of me), constant thoughts of death/fear of dying and no enjoyment in pretty much anything.

I am an avid musician i play guitar/drums/bass and i sing, and at times even these activities don't give me enjoyment. I went to my family doctor and she said it would be a good idea to start my Celexa again.. 10mg once a day. I started it last week. AND I FELT HORRIBLE!!! i felt like i was losing my mind, i couldn't sleep, i was waking up 4-5 times a night. no appetite, when i was awake i was experiencing horrible depersonalization. I felt terrible.. fully detached from life. After 4 days i said screw it and stopped taking it. But the depression continued.

I returned to my family doctor now in a desperate state. She immediately told me that i needed to be seen by a psychiatrist/psychologist because she was un-sure as to what the next step should be. Long story short.. I have been told to try the Celexa again this time starting at 5mg and then after a follow up appointment increase to 10mg.

The funny thing is.. I'm feeling relatively back to normal now.. even thought i haven't started the medication again yet, (knock on wood). Anyways thats my story so far.. I'll probably be posting around.

thanks.

pat.

Lindalou64
18-01-07, 03:21
WELCOME PAT,
FIRST SO SORRY TO HEAR YOUR LOSS THAT CAN BE HARD ON SOMEONE EVEN IF THE PERSON WASNT AS CLOSE TO YOU BUT SHE WAS TO YOUR MOM YOU ARE SO YOUNG AND SOUND SO MATURE....I THINK ITS AWSOME YOU WERE BLESSED WITH YOUR MUSIC DEFENTLEY CONTINUE THAT.......JUST REMEMBER PAT ITS JUST AN AWFUL FEELING AND IT WILL SUBSIDE YOUR SO YOUNG YOUR GONNA BEAT THIS I KNOW YA CAN I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST,STAY POSITIVE AND JUST DONT LET IT BEAT YOU ...............LET US KNOW HOW YA DOING OK..................LINDA[8D]

russ
18-01-07, 08:20
Hi rotary_x7,

I have a story much like yours. While I don't have any history medically of anxiety, the loss of my dad and nan, both of whom i was close to, caused a similar reaction I think.

I'm at the stage where after 8 doctors and A&E visits they have said anxiety is the issue, I return to my GP over that tomorrow.

I didn't think the grief was affecting me, yet others said it was. I ignored it, now have these physical symptoms which I honestly didn't know anxiety was a cause of.

While I think I can get help via medication and talking, I just think it is time and a slow return to doing normal things that I need and for my body to return to normal.

Take care, my thoughts are with you.

manmoor
18-01-07, 11:36
Hi Pat,

A big warm welcome to you.

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

yorkylover
18-01-07, 12:24
Hi Pat and welcome.Sorry to hear of your loss.
The meds usually give you horrid side affects,but they do settle after a while.

Ellen XX

trac67
18-01-07, 12:57
Hi Pat,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends,

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

wobily_lin
18-01-07, 13:33
elo,

Very sorry to hear of ur loss..

A big welcome to de site..you will get great support here n make some gud friends...i agree with ross..time..give it time re ur loss...so glad ta hav ye onboard tc x

Take care,

Lin.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

tommythomson
18-01-07, 18:29
Hi Pat

Sorry for your loss! Welcome to nmp and i hope you find the support and advice given here as helpful as i have.

Take care

T

honeybee3939
18-01-07, 18:31
Hi Pat

And a BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

Take a look at the first Step pages you may find them of interest also.
First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

nomorepanic
18-01-07, 19:05
Hi Pat

Lovely to see you here so welcome aboard and hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

kittykat
18-01-07, 20:27
Hi there ,

Welcome to the site, it's a great help and support.

Take care

shirley xx

'' I am an optimist, but I'm an optimist who carries a raincoat. '' - Harold Wilson