PDA

View Full Version : Recently started having panic attacks - looking for reasons?

austin01
15-03-15, 10:30
Hi,

This is the first time that I've used a forum like this, but was hoping to communicate with others who have/are experiencing the same problems that I am.
I am a 38-year old man who is normally quite healthy and who doesn't have a history of anxiety or depression. I am a mature student who is just about to finish my final year of doing a law degree at university. I am quite excited at finishing my degree and getting into work in the legal profession, even though it will be another 3 years before I am fully qualified.
I am also part of a civil claim against my local council with 105 ex-pupils from the boarding school that I attended for physical abuse by the teachers and child care staff. Before the civil case can be dealt with, there is 2 criminal cases going on (1 against the ex-headmaster which is currently in court, and the other against 4 teachers/child care staff which starts in 4 weeks time). Even though these trials are bringing back bad memories, I feel positive about them as we will hopefully get some closure.

I had my 1st panic attack 5 weeks ago while driving alone, and this was followed by another 2 weeks later. I went and saw my GP who prescribed me diazapam and told me to take them when I have an attack. I didn't feel the need to take any but felt reassured that I had them with me just incase.
Last Wednesday I had a severe attack at home and took a tablet but it didn't help. I felt that I had no control over my body and was extremely aggitated and was having problems getting my breathing under control, and it got to the stage where my wife called an ambulance. The paramedics came round and were here for about an hour and helped to calm me down.
I have since been back to my GP who has prescribed me beta-blockers. I have been taking them but at times have still felt that a panic attack is building.

I am not somebody who particularly likes taking tablets, and I don't want to become dependent on taking them. However, I feel that this is causing problems for me and my family. I don't feel comfortable being left alone, and I am really struggling with concentrating on my university work (not ideal when I have my final exams coming up). My children are also concerned with seeing their dad being ill as they have never seen this.
I feel like I am becoming a burden on my wife, and that it is affecting my families day-to-day lives at a time when everything else is so positive. Over the last 3 days I have been feeling continually aggitated, lethargic, and had a loss of appetite (even though I usually love my food).
My wife, who has been very supportive but cannot relate to the attacks as she has never had them, has contacted a counsellor who believes she may be able to help with a combination of CBT and hypnotheropy.

I just wanted to post on here to a) make sure that I wasn't going insane, b) see if anybody had any suggestions on how to deal with the build-up to an attack without using medication, and c) ask for peoples thoughts on using a counsellor for help?

Thanks your your time

susiet04
15-03-15, 15:27
Hi, I had my forst panic attack 13 years ago and I the same thought I was dying or going insane. My doc put me on meds although like you did not want to rely on meds but trying it without was lethal so I had to give in. I did go for cbt therapy and Itreally really helped me. Since then I have been diagnosed with panic disorder as they keep occurring and the cbt helped me deal with them as and when they came.I like you could not find any reason for this happening but since then I have discovered that mine are delayed fo instance my dad ended up in hospital 3 weeks aga and although he is fine I am in a state of panic and have been for the last week , really go and see a counseller and try it x

Steve1964
15-03-15, 20:07
Absolutely, go and see the counsellor. I don't like taking meds, and I have actually found that this site, and some of the self help CBT have helped. Different strokes for different people.

A word about the wife and family. You are not a burden. Hopefully they love you enough to help you in the same manner my lovely wife does with me.

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-15, 07:07
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

It sounds like all the stress you have been under has pushed the button and kicked off the disorder. This happened to me. I was always working in high pressure environments and I love it but I didn't notice that there were some warnings signs over 6 months and bang, one day it just hit me and I couldn't be in work anymore.

I would see a therapist but be careful that you ensure they are experienced enough to help you. This is an unregulated sector until the current Bill of Parliament is passed and anyone can study online without ever seeing a client and set themselves up as a professional with letters after their name and memberships to associations, many of which are aligned to training colleges.

My therapist advised to use the BACP register as their requirements are based on strict training and minimum supervised client exposure to even join them and then they have to keep this ongoing to remain listed. The BACP are well recognised by the NHS as a leader.

Other organisations exist such as BABCP and BPS.

I suggest you review the NHS guidance on this and MIND's because its a minefield. The BACP should be safe, but I know of a few on their that are not using evidence based therapies which they insist on to be a member.

Hypnotherapy has no recognised evidence to treat mental health disorders. However, some years back there was no accepted evidence at all and now the NHS & NICE recommend it for IBS as an effective treatment. So, just because something isn't evidence based doesn't mean it can't work, just that not enough has been provided to justify it. So, look at the qualifications of the person your wife has picked out.