PDA

View Full Version : Really stressing about my endoscopy tomorrow...

KayeS
15-03-15, 15:01
It's at 7am... I can't have sedation due to anxiety over taking medications like that, and it's not even so much the procedure that I'm worried about, but more about what they will find.

I haven't Googled anything and I've tried so hard to remain positive but my symptoms just aren't easing off and it's coming up to 7 weeks of it now. Part of me is just convinced that it's something terrible and at least right now I don't know either way. But tomorrow they will see for sure. I'm in quite a panic.

swgrl09
15-03-15, 15:26
Wow, major credit is due to you for not googling. I would have googled left right and center by now. I am not familiar with what you have been going through, but I hope you get some answers and some relief tomorrow. Maybe you will find out it is something with a simple fix. Either way, hope you have some more information.

This time tomorrow it will be over. Let us know how it goes!

KayeS
15-03-15, 15:35
Thank you. I Googled things for years but I had to train myself to stop because the panic I would get myself into was life stopping. It consumed everything. So I've just spoken to doctors and that's it. Although every now and then I've stumbled upon things I didn't want to see, including on here with people posting information they've Googled... and I'm just absolutely fearing the worst. :(

Anonybrit
15-03-15, 17:01
I felt the same after about 3-4 weeks of my bowel symptoms. At my age (26) they aren't entertaining the thought of cancer it seems, so I was mainly worried about inflammatory bowel disease, so I had blood tests done as well as the new faecal calprotectin stool test, both were normal and the latter being normal they consider to "rule out" IBD.

But despite all this my anxiety has been bouncing up and down.

There's something about bowel issues that really stokes anxiety, so I really empathise. You can have an eyelid twitch and it's annoying, you can have a headache and it can get your worried from time to time, but nothing quite ruins your day from the get go that "yet another" bad stool of some kind of another. There's just something about it that really gets under your skin.

I don't know what your symptoms are but as a general rule just remember that there are a huge number of bowel conditions and the majority of the time it's nothing serious at all. 1 in 5 people get eg. IBS which can mimic most conditions you're probably worried about, and there are others too.

Fingers crossed for you, just try and stay as relaxed as possible until then because worrying about it does nothing to help (easier said than done).

KayeS
15-03-15, 17:16
Mine is more to do with the oesophagus. Pain in my back and chest when swallowing, like it is constantly trapped there. The gastroenterologist listed a few possible things he thinks it could be, and like you said, was not even entertaining the idea of something like cancer but I just have a bad feeling.

popejoan
15-03-15, 20:16
Hi SteveKaye, just wanted to tell you that I was worried about having stomach/esophageal cancer and had an endoscopy back in November. I wasn't sedated either, it took 5 mins, didn't hurt, I just felt a little pressure when they checked the opening of my small bowel. The nurses were very helpful, they held my hand and whispered in my ear how well I'm doing and it is all okay. They didn't find anything, they took biopsies but nothing came up. Interestingly, my symptoms mostly disappeared after I got the all clear. Good luck, you are going to be fine. Just relax and let us know how it goes.

KayeS
15-03-15, 20:34
Thanks for the reassurance. How did it feel when they inserted the camera? Also once it's sort of past the top of the throat is it easier? I don't think I'll be too bad with it if I'm honest although I gag when I'm brushing my teeth sometimes lol :/

gordie1
15-03-15, 20:45
I was terrified before I went for mine and backed out twice at the last minute but I did eventually go and I honestly thought I had cancer of the oesophagus and I had been googling like mad it was fine it turned out to be a hiatus hernia I have little recollection of the procedure I took the sedation and it was totally fine

popejoan
15-03-15, 20:53
Well, I was nervous because I didn't know what was coming but they sprayed my throat first so I didn't feel any pain. They make you take a big gulp and then the camera goes down, it's kind of like you know when you eat spagetti, sometimes you swallow half of it and another half stays in your mouth. It's kinda like that. No big deal at all and I didn't gag at all either. The only disturbing part is the lube around the camera, you kinda have to spit it after the procedure is done. That's it.

KayeS
15-03-15, 21:12
I was terrified before I went for mine and backed out twice at the last minute but I did eventually go and I honestly thought I had cancer of the oesophagus and I had been googling like mad it was fine it turned out to be a hiatus hernia I have little recollection of the procedure I took the sedation and it was totally fine

What symptoms did you have if you don't mind me asking?

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

Well, I was nervous because I didn't know what was coming but they sprayed my throat first so I didn't feel any pain. They make you take a big gulp and then the camera goes down, it's kind of like you know when you eat spagetti, sometimes you swallow half of it and another half stays in your mouth. It's kinda like that. No big deal at all and I didn't gag at all either. The only disturbing part is the lube around the camera, you kinda have to spit it after the procedure is done. That's it.

See when that happens with spaghetti I go into a mini swallowing panic lol. I think I'll be ok though... it's not so much the procedure that bothers me, more what they find :/

popejoan
15-03-15, 21:29
They will not find anything :) I was experiencing horrible symptoms and I was surprised that they didn't even found GERD. It was all down to anxiety. At least the best part is that you will know right after the procedure. You won't have to wait for the results. If you're a bit like me, you'll be better at the hospital. I worry a lot until it's time for another test and I'm calm once at the hospital.

KayeS
15-03-15, 21:39
They will not find anything :) I was experiencing horrible symptoms and I was surprised that they didn't even found GERD. It was all down to anxiety. At least the best part is that you will know right after the procedure. You won't have to wait for the results. If you're a bit like me, you'll be better at the hospital. I worry a lot until it's time for another test and I'm calm once at the hospital.

I really hope they find nothing... I mean the gastroenterologist said he thinks it's either inflammation from acid reflux or something to do with the cells in my oesophagus or a problem with the peristalsis action...

Do they tell you right away then? I know they are taking a biopsy so I won't know the results of that instantly but otherwise they tell you if they can see anything obvious?

Yeah I tend to be better once at the hospital... procedures don't bother me too much. I had retinal holes sealed via the cryopexy method last year which usually requires a general anaesthetic but I demanded a local as I have a fear of being put to sleep... so I was awake during the whole thing and it didn't bother me lol.

popejoan
15-03-15, 22:38
Well the thing is, they told me because they found nothing, they did take biopsies but the practitioner nurse said it will come back negative. They also took a biopsy to test for H. Pylori and they give you the results in 5 mins. They know what they see so you will definitely get some answers yesterday. What time is it? Have you started not eating yet? I found that the hardest :)

KayeS
15-03-15, 23:02
Well the thing is, they told me because they found nothing, they did take biopsies but the practitioner nurse said it will come back negative. They also take a biopsy to test for H. Pylori and they give you the results in 5 mins. They know what they see so you will definitely get some answers yesterday. What time is it? Have you started not eating yet? I found that the hardest :)

7:30am... It says on my form that the last time I'm allowed to eat is 2am so I'm ok with that lol.

popejoan
15-03-15, 23:05
That's very early :S Well, at least you'll be able to have breakfast after the procedure. Mine was at 1 pm so I suffered from hunger a lot that day :) Is there anyone coming with you? A company is always helpful.

KayeS
16-03-15, 00:35
That's very early :S Well, at least you'll be able to have breakfast after the procedure. Mine was at 1 pm so I suffered from hunger a lot that day :) Is there anyone coming with you? A company is always helpful.

Naa I'm going by myself. I actually prefer doing these things alone. I cope better by myself lol.

KayeS
16-03-15, 10:26
Well I had it!

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Was by no means pleasant but nothing awful. Was told everything looked normal but have to wait a week for the biopsy results. Glad it's over!

swgrl09
16-03-15, 11:03
Happy for you that it's over and everything looked ok!

popejoan
16-03-15, 12:12
There you go! Congratulations. Now it's time to relax and work on your anxiety.

KayeS
16-03-15, 12:59
Thanks guys x

Toby2000
16-03-15, 19:43
It'll be fine, seriously there's absolutely no reason to worry. People with HA convince themselves of having all of these illnesses. You'd be a medical anomaly if you really did have about every single illness you've convinced yourself of having. I'm 99.9% sure that they won't find a thing!

Don't lose sleep over it, just get in there and get it over with :hugs:

Toby :)