PDA

View Full Version : UTI - High Pulse and Fever

MagicMadjeski
16-03-15, 13:30
Hi All,

Hope you're all well, I used this site once before for support during some heart trouble and found you all very helpful and wanted to see if anyone can help me again with my current symptoms...

Symptoms - High/Moderate fever 38.5C - 38.9C / 101.3F - 102.02f fast heart rate between 120 - 170 Bpm at the worst point. Aches and pains like a really bad flu and some lower abdomen discomfort.

Situation - I woke up this morning at 3am feeling awful with a fever and very high pulse rate even when sitting, called NHS Direct who advised me to visit my local A&E but not call an ambulance. White coat syndrome got the better of me and my pulse was 144 Bpm and BP 135/75 they did and ECG, put me on a drip and took blood/urine. After a few hours the fever had gone back down to 37.5C / 99.5F and my pulse rate dropped to around 95-105Bpm. They said I had elevated white blood cells (115 rather than usual 110 I think) and a Urinary Tract Infection and sent me home with Antibiotics (Trimethoprim 200Mg 2 times a day for 7 days).

I got home and went back to bed after calling work and woke up at Noon with another fever and elevated pulse rate when laying down of around 130 Bpm which has taken an hour to drop to 110 Bpm. I called NHS Direct again and they said I have to visit my GP within 6 hours which they will see me at 18:30 today.

History - The last few weeks I have had a tooth infection which I had 5 days of Amoxicillin 500Mg 3 times a day, followed by 400Mg Metronidazole 3 times a day for 5 days and another Amoxicillin course which ended last Friday (13th Mar) the tooth had a root canal at a private endodontist last Wednesday (11th Mar) and seemed to be successful just a little tender but seems like the infection has gone...

Help - So really need help with people who have had UTI's before and whether they also had racing heart rates and a fever? I'm really worried that it is some sort of sepsis after the root canal as I feel just awful... I'm not getting out of breath and can move around okay but it does elevate my pulse.

Please help me!!! :)

MagicMadjeski
17-03-15, 01:25
So doctors are still convinced this is only a UTI and not related to my root canal but I'm still worrying about blood infections spreading to my heart. I'm laying in bed now as calm as can be with pulse rate of 120 and fever of 38.1 C any advicentre on cooling down or why my pulse is so high would be good.

Fishmanpa
17-03-15, 01:58
You're panicking over a normal physiological response to an infection. You doctor diagnosed you and you're on medication. What that means is you're physically ill. Yes, it's uncomfortable but it's not sinister. Take your meds, drink plenty of fluids and in a few days you'll start to feel better.

Positive thoughts

Davit
01-04-15, 15:38
Sepsis can happen after a root canal. Staph is the common infection. It can become chronic and last years. It can do harm to your heart valves and is nothing to shrug off.
All the symptoms point to this. Your pulse is too high even for anxiety and you should be on something to get it down till you are better. Possibly valium. If valium doesn't work then you have a pretty serious infection. UTI's usually clear up in a few days.
Sepsis calls for IV therapy. I got it with knee replacements and still have it after almost ten years. It is under control but that is all.

wubu
02-04-15, 10:57
Hope your well now!!

If you still had the infection on your last post in this thread it would have been due to infection.

bartin
07-04-15, 16:04
Intermittent fever could actually be a symptom of sepsis and tooth infection can cause kidney problems.

MagicMadjeski
21-04-15, 12:06
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay but seem to be on the mend now. After several weeks of antibiotics, D-Manoose, Cranberry Extract supplements and drinking enough water to sink the titanic most of the symptoms have gone.

Just an occasional bout of discomfort. Thank you all for the help. :)