PDA

View Full Version : no sleep on mirtazapine

jane2011
16-03-15, 15:54
Am I the only person this hasn't helped sleep? Helped for three nights gradually getting less now nothing does not help at does not even make me drowsy urgghh so tired and fed up

A Nervous Nigel
16-03-15, 21:19
You hear people say its knocked them out! I had my first tablet and stayed up three hours watching telly! However when I do sleep it normally feels good quality and feel refreshed mentally. Until recently! Why dose you on?

jane2011
16-03-15, 22:24
15mg Nigel. Helped for three nights that's it nothing now don't even feel sleepy.

A Nervous Nigel
16-03-15, 22:32
Are you prescribed this just for sleep or depression as well? Because some people find 7.5mg so half a tablet, more sedating. This is because at higher doseages it affects other receptors which activate its antidepressant qualities but in result make it less sedating. I definitely found 30mg less sedating than 15mg. However, I haven't tried 7.5mg because I need it for depression as well. But some people say 7.5mg gets them to sleep better.

jane2011
17-03-15, 08:13
Hi was prescribed 30mg for insomnia causing anxiety but doc said take half. I dont have depression. Might try 7.5. Had two glasses of wine last night that helped.

hanshan
17-03-15, 09:45
There's nothing wrong with a small glass or two of wine around bedtime if it helps initiate sleep (be careful - some glasses hold half a bottle!) The effect of the wine will quickly wear off, but hopefully the mirtazapine will maintain sleep through the night.

jane2011
17-03-15, 10:00
Yes I am going to have a glass or two tonight. I usually have a couple most nights but stopped when this insomnia started incase it was the cause but tbh I think it made it worse will see how we go tonight. It's horrible wonderingredients if you are going to sleep or not. I look at my lazy cats fast asleep most of the day....jealous is not the word. Lucky buggers.

SmilingAlbert
17-03-15, 10:21
You could experiment and try taking 7.5mg at bedtime, and see how you do.

If sleep is the target, and D is not an issue, that I think might be worth a try.

The wine will definitely help short term, though don't make a habit of it...

keggsy
17-03-15, 18:53
Mirt has not really aided my sleep, at any dose.

I too have resorted to a glass of wine each evening. Not a road I want to go down but it is helping at the mo. If the effects wear off I am determined I won't be increasing the alcohol intake as that will only be problematic.

jane2011
18-03-15, 09:46
Glass of wine didn't help last night no sleep off to docs today again . Feeling really worried there is something wrong with my brain now .

hanshan
18-03-15, 12:59
Hi Jane,

Did you try the 30 mg? I take 45 mg and it works fine for me - we all react differently. If you are waking with anxiety symptoms then you most likely have anxiety - it doesn't need to have an explicit cause.

jane2011
19-03-15, 15:46
Hi no I don't have anxiety symptoms just can't get past stage one sleep every time I nod off its like being pulled back on rewind awake over an over again horrible. Still on 15mg mirtazapine doc said try 3.75 zopiclone but just tried a few valerian an hop drops last night if mri comes back clear off to the sleep clinic. I have also been hearing things x

SmilingAlbert
19-03-15, 21:56
I hate to say it Jane but insomnia is a classic symptom of anxiety.

It can also cause anxiety in itself, which is why it can make for a horrid cycle. Sleeping pills can indeed bring short-term relief but can be habit forming and bring other problems down the road, and mixing them with alcohol, for example, can be dangerous.

Sleep clinic sounds like a great idea...

Good luck

jane2011
20-03-15, 09:56
I have had insomnia and anxiety before this is so ooo different. I am unable to get past stage 1 sleep keep being pulled back awake along with hearing things as I drift off it scary. Mirtazapine has stopped me worrying about it but this happened out of the blue slept one night and then just couldn't sleep it's driving me mad. 15 mg of mirtazapine and 3.75 of zopiclone and awake all night literally all night. I have four kids and a hubby and dogs to walk I am slowly sinking.

hanshan
20-03-15, 10:26
Are you awake all night or continually awakening? They are two quite different things.

jane2011
20-03-15, 11:05
Sometimes I manage to nod off for a bit others not at all. So night before last was a good night 4 hours just took ages to get off with waking every time I nod off and hearing things woke to imagine phone noise. Last night none at all the longest night ever. I would normally of got up but the mirtazapine made me feel calm so just a night full of constantly being woken as I drift off to sleep or hearing things as I drift off pretty miserable really.

keggsy
20-03-15, 17:03
It certainly makes for a grim existence.
We will and have to sleep eventually, but life is no fun waiting for sheer exhaustion to set in each time.
Anxiety and preoccupation with sleep are insomnia biggest allies.

jane2011
20-03-15, 17:48
Yes keggsy you are most certainly right it is an ever decreasing circle not easy to get off once you start spiralling down .

keggsy
21-03-15, 07:34
You will improve Jane. Could be a rollercoaster type journey but don't give up.

hanshan
21-03-15, 11:38
Hearing imagined phones ringing, doorbells, beeps from the alarm clock and so on happen to me very infrequently, and usually do so when I am in a keyed-up state about something or other. The imagined sound is very real-sounding and occurs either while I am drifting off or waking up in the morning. Basically, I try just to let them come and go.

jane2011
21-03-15, 13:35
Thank goodness hanshan thought I was going as mad as a box of frogs.

Crystalhiggs
21-03-15, 16:44
How was last night Jane? Xx

jane2011
21-03-15, 19:31
Hi last night was ok. Had 15mg of mirtazapine and some valerian about an hour later went to bed at 11pm slept till 440am. And I suppose I should of got up then but had what I can only describe as a mirtazapine induced doze on and off till 7. Seems to be a pattern one good night one shocking night. Am wonderING if it's either to do with how much I've eaten in the evening if I've not slept I don't have much of an appetite or my mirtazapine are 30mg and I have been cutting them in half I am wonderING if one half is bigger than other sometimes. Who knows. Lets see what tonight brings. Thank you so much for asking. Howas are you doing? Xxx

Crystalhiggs
22-03-15, 20:16
Hi Jane, I'm not getting much relief from the trazodone. Plus I'm having horrible side effects. The zopiclone gives me a few hours but I'm wondering if mirtazapine might be better for me. Have you had any side effects from it? Glad you got a better night lets hope it becomes a bit more consistent! X

jane2011
22-03-15, 20:29
Hi sorry you are still having a hard time. I would recomend asking your doc about mirtazapine. Although my sleep is still somewhat hit an miss I am feeling better overall. I am on 15mg about an hour before bed. Side effects. I am hungrier but just try to eat healthy snacks. Do feel chemically induced stupor/calmness bit dizzy bit spaced out and groggy but a fair trade as I don't feel anxious. So if I don't sleep I can cope better. No waking my poor hubby in hysterics I can just be still quiet and calm. think people say side effects wear off so am going to stick with it. And you put on weight but I walk for about 3 hours a day as I have dogs an don't drive so not too worried about that. Good luck fingers crossed we both have a good night tonight xx

hanshan
23-03-15, 03:42
Hi Jane,

Good to hear that you are getting better sleep some nights - still a bummer about the other nights, but hopefully things will continue to improve.

jane2011
23-03-15, 10:15
i have had a good couple of nights, last night was ok must for got about 3 to 4 hours which at least leaves you feeling functional. i am just trying to practice staying calm about it which is not always easy and hope it passes.

Crystalhiggs
23-03-15, 14:51
Hi Jane, when did you start mirtazapine? I need to put on weight so thinking it might be a good option for me! Do most people sleep well on it or is yours a normal scenario? X

jane2011
23-03-15, 20:35
Hi Crystal, I will of been on it two weeks on Wednesday so still very early days and I am hoping it will keep improving. I think you only hear about extremes when people write about them generally and I am sure there are thousands of people who fall between. From what I have read it seems to help more with sleep, if insomnia is caused by depression and anxiety. My insomnia came out of nowhere and has a definite difference to it from when I have had it before, I would not of said i was anxious or depressed. We had however just moved home and a fraught sale and purchase it was, hubby had op before christmas and all my children have moved back home and I am looking after my grandchild full time so it could be stress. Why not have a chat to your doctor, I have looked through previous threads on mirtazapine on here and found that really useful too. Good luck I didnt have such a good night last night 4 hours so functional but not great lets hope for better tonight, hope you have a good one tooxxx

Crystalhiggs
23-03-15, 20:52
Ok thank you I'll speak to my doctor about it on Thursday. I'm sorry it's not giving you the relief you want/need. It does sound like there might be some subconscious stress going on for you that maybe you weren't aware of? I had an op last year and was back in hospital in January having all kinds of horrible tests and I know that's what's done it for me. I'm so fed up of this whole business, I hate that I'm popping pills to do something that is so natural! I hope one day we can look back and be glad all this is over! Here's to a good nights sleep all round!!! Xx

hanshan
24-03-15, 03:40
Hi Jane,

It does seem that stress might be a factor, but the good news is that some of it is now behind you (though the effects linger).

jane2011
24-03-15, 09:08
Thanks hashan awful night last night hearing things and being pulled back awake every time I nodded off finally sleep about 330 alarm at 6am feel so tired today feeling slight mad .x

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Hi I am taking my mirtazapine 15mg at 10pm going to bed at 11pm but haven't slept great for a couple of nights should I take it earlier or later just trying to think of anything that may make a difference. I just need this sleep thing sorted.

hanshan
24-03-15, 09:53
If you have been prescribed 30 mg a day, I would try 15 mg around dinner time, then another 15 mg about two hours before bedtime.

jane2011
24-03-15, 11:42
Hello Hanshan

Yes I may well try that tonight, its difficult one doctor told me 30mg and another told me to snap it in half as it would make me sleepier at 15mg, another thing I am wondering and is as I snap them in half they are not always exactly equal. Do you think a small difference in the half size would make a difference to sleep.

keggsy
24-03-15, 17:50
Can't think it would make too much difference.
You may be more knackered tonight after a poor night last night.
Hope you sleep well.

jane2011
24-03-15, 18:09
thanks keggsy x

hanshan
25-03-15, 04:11
I'm a bit dubious about the "less will make you sleepier" line. Breaking the tablet in half will reduce the antihistamine effect, so half will make you less sleepy and more alert, and not the reverse.

So why do they say "less will make you more sleepy"? It's because at higher doses the antidepressant effect is supposed to kick in and counteract the antihistamine effect.

Well, maybe. It's fairly theoretical and seems to be true for some people and not others. My advice would be to try taking different doses within the 30 mg prescribed by your doctor and see what works best for you - we are all different.

jane2011
25-03-15, 08:52
Hi Hanshan
I only have 30mg tablets at the moment which the doctor told me to break in half but I am going to see her next week and ask for some 15mg one so I dont have the job of breaking them and then spending five minutes on the kitchen floor looking for the half that has vanished whilst cutting. On the positive front I slept all night did not wake once first time in 4 weeks, I know one swallow does not make a summer but looking back over my sleep diary although I have had a couple of really crappy nights the last 7 nights have been better than a few weeks ago. :))

hanshan
25-03-15, 09:41
Hi Jane,

I don't know what shape your tablets are, but the best advice I have for breaking tablets in half is to place them on a hard surface like a table or bench top, and then press down on opposite sides. If there is a score line, make sure it is in the middle.

Don't worry too much about the halves not being exactly equal - the effect is minor. Depending on the half-life of of a medication, its concentration in the body will vary considerably over the course of a day - much more than the minuscule difference between broken tablets.

Crystalhiggs
28-03-15, 17:28
Hi Jane, just wondered how you're getting on now? Are you managing to sleep a bit more? Hope you're ok xx

jane2011
28-03-15, 17:42
Hi crystal I am ok thank you. My sleep is up an down but more up than down. I am finding the mirtazapine useful some nights it works better than others but it has stopped me worrying. I think when I look back over the last six months I have been stressed if not slightly depressed. As I feel much better now. I do feel they are masking the problem of hearing an seeing things and jolting awake as I try to sleep but maybe that is all that can be done an maybe it will pass in time. I have recognised that I may of been a bit mad an overly anxious and have asked my Gp If I can stay on these awhile. Hope you are ok too . Are you gettING anymore sleep? Take care x

Crystalhiggs
28-03-15, 18:00
Hi Jane, that's really good news! I'm so pleased for you, you sound so much calmer now. :) I'm not doing quite so well sadly. I need to come off the trazodone as its just making me so anxious but I'm not really sleeping now as I'm reducing it. Even the zopiclone is losing its effect so I'm exhausted :( would you say mirtazapine makes you more anxious at first or has it been ok? Xx

jane2011
28-03-15, 18:14
I would say the mirtazapine has completely chilled me out. As good if not better than diazepam for me. I am sorry you are not doing too well. Are you going back to your Gp have they suggested anything else? Xx

Crystalhiggs
28-03-15, 18:24
I'm going back on Thursday. She did suggest coming off traz and onto mirtazapine so I'll see when I come off the Trazodone. Just never been so tired in my life but still can't fall asleep naturally. :( anyway, you sound in a much better place. That gives me hope! Xx

jane2011
28-03-15, 18:42
Good luck crystal. Hope you can get a little sleep. Its so frustrating being so tired and unable to sleep it is just awful. I remember sitting on my sofa in the early hours everyone else fast asleep even the bloody cats and dogs And you just think why can't I just fall asleep like that. It's absolutely horrible. Take care an hope Gp can help. I have never had much luck with anti depressants in the past and was sceptical about mirtazapine but it has really helped not perfect but better xx

Hipha
29-03-15, 20:13
I agree with all replies suggesting lower doses help with sleep. I am now on 45 mg and compared to 15mg there is a significant difference in helping with sleep. 15mg asleep within 2 minutes; 45mg usually asleep within 30 minutes although once asleep I stay asleep. I think that once you get into a vicious circle of no sleep and worrying about not sleeping the dose becomes less important. If you can get into a consistent rhythm of sleep where you trust you will go to sleep this is more important than the drug and the dose. Easy for me to say I know!

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Hi Jane, I'm not getting much relief from the trazodone. Plus I'm having horrible side effects. The zopiclone gives me a few hours but I'm wondering if mirtazapine might be better for me. Have you had any side effects from it? Glad you got a better night lets hope it becomes a bit more consistent! X

Crystalhiggs- what dose of Trazadone are you taking? I was on 50mg for 2 months and it was very good for sleep. However anxiety appeared and as I increased the dose eventually to 200mg of Trazadone anxiety also increased hence. I then moved to Mirtazapine which has been very good for sleep but anxiety still a growing issue as the dose is increased (now on 45mg). Everybody reacts differently to these meds. One thing I have learned is to not think about it too much...just go with it and accept the symptoms and accept it will take time and sadly often many attempts.

jane2011
30-03-15, 09:11
I would of completely agreed with you hipha until last night. I had been having quite a good run of sleep just as I wad trusting it last night awful kept being jolted awake just as I drifted off again an again got about two hours sleep in the end. Think I may ask to be referred to the sleep clinic definitely feel mirtazapine sleep is masking my sleep problem. Which is being woken as soon as I fall asleep and hearing and seeing things as I fall asleep or wake. Definitely feel like I am going mad.