PDA

View Full Version : GP's not helping

Yorkshire born
16-03-15, 19:02
Having a panic right now thanks to my GP's. Went in last week to talk about my test results and my anexiety. The doctor however was only concerned with the blood test results, which were fine, and was dismissive of the anexiety. In the end I did manage to get him to agree to a follow up apointment in two weeks, after explaining to him just how badly the anexiety was affecting me.

Then after I had left I get a phone call from the doctors office telling me I needed to book some more blood tests. The GP now wanted me to come back in a week for more blood tests after telling me 20mins earlier they were fine. This ofcourse made my anexiety go through the roof. I wanted to turn around and go straight back to the doctors to find out why I needed more tests.

I'd just about got over the anexiety that the new tests caused when today, a day before the blood test, I get another call from the doctors office telling be i need to make a telephone apointment with another of the surgerys GP's. When I asked if this was instead of the follow up they told me that they didn't know what it was for and they would have to contact the doctor to find out.

At a time when I'm suffering from HA, this is the last thing I need! Unexplained tests and being asked to call the doctor with no reason given. I've had a really tough day with my anexiety and this isn't helping. Trying to stay rational right now and hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this tomorrow. :unsure:

yaman
16-03-15, 21:44
That's very poor by your Dr if they know you suffer from HA and have done that
I hope you get it sorted

Yorkshire born
16-03-15, 23:48
Thanks. Feeling calmer right now but I'm so angry at my GP's. They have in my notes that i'm suffering from anexiety right now, this is not the way they should be dealing with me. Don't they have any common sense?

Mindknot
17-03-15, 09:36
Sadly not all GPs (like not all patients) are terribly clued up on how anxiety affects you - and certainly the system doesn't handle it terribly well either. Fact is, your receptionist cannot tell you anything because they are not allowed to.
It could just be that you have been referred to this other GP to talk about your anxiety - perhaps it's a subject that this other one is particularly interested in, or more experienced with. I very much doubt it's about your blood test anyway.... & the recall blood test may have been ordered by the new GP, because they want to do particular checks to see if your anxiety may be caused by other things like vitamin or hormone levels (these things can affect anxiety levels and aren't always routinely tested). It's very unlikely to be anything sinister, especially if your first was clear.

yaman
17-03-15, 12:22
Did you sort it out?

Yorkshire born
17-03-15, 23:28
Turns out the request for a phone consultation was an error. My last GP failed to note that he had discussed my test results with me so another GP picked them up.

My blood tests today were fine, the nurse explained that they were exploring the vitamin D deficiency they found last time. The GP previously told me that he thought it needed no further investigation but seems he changed his mind after I had left. Perhapse he thought further tests will reassure me, but I would have been a lot happier if he had discussed this with me rather than have the office phone me after I'd left and put me in a panic.

Going to just wait for the results now and avoid Google.

MyNameIsTerry
18-03-15, 10:10
I think you are right, you have been messed about due to incompetence. Whilst a minor issue to the 2 GP's, nurse & receptionist, they just don't understand the impact it has on your health.

At least now you can rationalise it.

I think you need to work on this GP about your anxiety and see if things change. If not, maybe seeing a different one is worth a try?