PDA

View Full Version : Tiny red dots on skin - how many is normal?

Anonybrit
17-03-15, 09:33
You know those small little dots of blood vessels you get on your skin? Sometimes very very small, like a pin prick, other times a little larger like a very small blotch of blood vessels? Telangiectasias.

I know they are associated with a bunch of conditions but I also know that having a few is normal.

I have just "noticed" that I have ~5-6 and many of them I don't recall having before, but can't be sure, I've gone into hypervigiliance mode and analysed my skin to find them all which I obviously haven't done before.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this health anxiety before and what your discovered? I'm trying to avoid Dr Google.

I also wonder if this is related to me going to a tanning bed a few times recently but I can't find much info on this.

MrAndy
17-03-15, 09:55
im covered in those red dots some itch and are sore.I have had them all my life and never worried about it ,they are benign so harmless

wnsos
17-03-15, 12:38
I have lots of them too, always have had. Lots more than that too! Think nothing of them x :)

dittarco
17-03-15, 13:35
i had the same fear a few years ago... and i noticed the fear returns when winter ends and now i'm wearing clothes that expose my skin. then i start to see more then last year.

sadly, they pop up over time - sun exposure, etc. I asked my dermatologist. very benign and PS - very unnoticeable. Only you will see them... unless your friends and family inspect you :-)

So do not worry.. promise.

Anonybrit
17-03-15, 13:44
i had the same fear a few years ago... and i noticed the fear returns when winter ends and now i'm wearing clothes that expose my skin. then i start to see more then last year.

sadly, they pop up over time - sun exposure, etc. I asked my dermatologist. very benign and PS - very unnoticeable. Only you will see them... unless your friends and family inspect you :-)

So do not worry.. promise.

Thanks, yet again it's more hyper vigilance about things most people wouldn't think twice about, made a bit worse by the fact that I'm a junior doctor. A little knowledge is a bad thing, I know that "telangiectasia is associated with x y z conditions" but I have no content or experience to put that into context so I just see a couple and instantly think of those conditions.

They might have been there for years and I just never thought about them, or maybe it's the subbed, but on reflection the conditions that are associated with them cause hundreds and even then, it's common for people to have that for no good reason anyway..

Toby2000
17-03-15, 20:36
I have loads scattered on my legs and idk why.

Just try to ignore them :)

Emilym80
18-03-15, 15:03
I saw my doctor about these as I noticed a bunch had appeared out of nowhere, seemingly overnight. She wasn't bothered at all- she looked at then all through the dermoscope thing and said they were not concerning and could be caused/made more prominent by hot weather/heat etc (so maybe the tanning bed!). She also said that having anxiety means things like that are much more obvious to one (being constantly aware and in search of signs of illness) than to another individual who might have such spots and not even realise.

KeeKee
18-03-15, 16:19
I'm sure they are cherry Angioma and they are completely harmless.
I have about 40 - 50 and mine also seemingly appeared overnight. I do not expose my skin to the sun so have no idea where they came from but I've mentioned them to my doctor before and they are harmless.

Toby2000
18-03-15, 17:44
I'm sure they are cherry Angioma and they are completely harmless.
I have about 40 - 50 and mine also seemingly appeared overnight. I do not expose my skin to the sun so have no idea where they came from but I've mentioned them to my doctor before and they are harmless.

Cherry Angiomas are raised, whereas petechiae is literally under your skin and is completely flat.

KeeKee
18-03-15, 18:33
Cherry Angiomas are raised, whereas petechiae is literally under your skin and is completely flat.

Aah I see, however they are definitely not petechiae my doctor specifically told me that.

Lemondrizzle
19-03-15, 22:15
I had some appear after reaching and throwin up round my eyes