PDA

View Full Version : Bronchitis blood in phlegm

pinky260
17-03-15, 11:25
Hi :) not been in here for ages I have been feeling great until today!

I have had a cold for a few days & felt rubbish yesterday I feel like it has gone on my chest, lots of coughing & feeling 'chesty'. Today I had a big coughing fit & coughed up some green/ yellow phlegm mixed with blood. Well you can imagine my anxiety is back right where I was a few months ago. Seen the Dr already, he said its bronchitis & given me amoxicillin. He said its unlikely to be anything bad as I'm 31& a non smoker but to go back if the antibiotic don't stop it.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had anything similar to try & calm me a bit x

roxy90
17-03-15, 15:20
I usually have blood in my phlegm when I have a cold/chest infection. It doesnt freak me out anymore x

pinky260
17-03-15, 16:47
Thank you. I mentioned it to my friend she said the same. I wish I could stop worrying x

Toby2000
17-03-15, 21:06
Excessive coughing can burst blood vessels, hence the bleeding in some cases.

Hope that helped.

Toby :hugs:

Yorkshire born
17-03-15, 23:40
I had this too a few years back. Alway best to get it checked out with the doctor but I had no ill effects. Interestingly it didn't trigger my HA at the time. Right now I'm stressing out over much less obvious symptoms.

Poppy1963
18-03-15, 00:37
My husband had the same thing on Boxing Day. I saw the blood and rushed him to the out of hours doctor. The doctor said that it often happens if you have a bad coughing fit, you can burst some of the small blood vessels and it's normal. However, I understand, it is scary when it happens.

Hope you feel better very soon.

pinky260
18-03-15, 16:30
Thank you all. I feel much better today, had 4 of the amoxicillin & been coughing much less. So far no more blood! I hope it stays that way :)

Lemondrizzle
19-03-15, 22:17
This happened to me today I went to the doctors he listened to my chest he gave me a amoxicillin and sent for a chest x-ray also blood test came back all clear don't worry

pinky260
20-03-15, 10:33
Thank you. I had a coughing & sneezing fit this morning & blew my nose & there was blood in it (sorry tmi) then coughed a tiny bit of blood tinged stuff up again but logic tells me it was from my nose but still worrying x