PDA

View Full Version : Big challenge - don't know if I can cope

Elle-Kay
17-03-15, 23:34
I have to go to another town for an important interview tomorrow. I need to drive across a toll bridge & along a route that I know is very busy, at rush hour. I'm dreading it, and the more I think about it the more I just don't think I can. But if I can't do it, I'll damage my career (not to mention my confidence). I don't know what to do :(

I've been having a few unexpected panics lately - they've crept up on me & caught me unawares, so they've been quite strong - and even while I've been driving which has never happened before. I'm just convinced that it's going to happen tomorrow & I'll get a huge surge of panic/nausea/desperation to get home during the interview, then get stuck in traffic & not be able to drive.

I've wanted to get to this point in my career for years, but now I'm here I wish I'd never applied. I can't keep putting myself through these feelings :(

23fish
17-03-15, 23:57
I feel for you - I have on many occasions wished for a something to happen to cancel an event I've been dreading. It's rarely as bad as the anticipation. Have you thought about some of the following?

1. Get everything ready so you don't have to think about it in the morning
2. Remember you got the interview so you are already way ahead of many
applicants
3. Listen to the radio while you're driving - help distract your thoughts
4. Visualise yourself being calm and confident at the interview
5. Have something small in your bag to eat, or Glucose tablets if you can't
face food
6. Plan a treat for when you get back, even if it's a ready meal and a hot bath

Good luck. You can do it! Picture how proud of yourself you will feel when you've done it x

---------- Post added at 23:53 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

By the way, I always find unfamiliar routes better when it's busy as everyone has to go more slowly, so you have a tiny bit more thinking time.

---------- Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:53 ----------

If you have a panic attack remember IT WILL PASS. It might feel horrible but it will always pass. Acknowledge that you are having one and remind yourself that you have had them before and they are scary but harmless

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Sorry - have to keep going back to your post to see what I've forgotten to write!
My final thought is - when you wake up spend a few minutes doing breathing exercises or meditation. Don't do what I do and stay in bed hoping the feelings of anxiety will subside, just get out of bed and get going!
Let us all know how you get on tomorrow.

Elle-Kay
18-03-15, 13:54
Thanks for your input. I have to leave in an hour, and am feeling pretty tense, anxious and nervous now. I haven't been able to eat all day, so my side hurts. I'm feeling tired, and just want to start to wind down for the day, not psyche myself up for the interview. I've been staring at traffic maps on Google for the last hour, trying to find a route for my journey home that will avoid the slow traffic areas (this is my "If I can't do it and need to turn round and get home ASAP, I need an escape route" behaviour).

23fish
18-03-15, 14:21
I think once you're on your way home you will feel calmer anyway, so try not to think about the quickest route - it may not turn out to be the quickest anyway! Good luck - you can do it!
I'm feeling tense at the thought of going to the doctor's this afternoon - what if she won't sign me off any longer? Can't face going back to work yet.

Elle-Kay
18-03-15, 18:20
I failed :( When I got there they were running nearly an hour behind & all of a sudden it was going to be a group interview, which I hadn't prepared for. I had a panic attack & had to apologise & leave.
I won't ever get over this illness now.

23fish
18-03-15, 19:12
You haven't failed - you turned up! Maybe this wasn't the job for you (I believe things happen for a reason). You won't always feel like this - hold on to the good times and be proud of what you have achieved x