PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Knows Best?

cpe1978
18-03-15, 19:24
For any of those interested, a quick thought piece about developing a positive relationship with your GP.

https://healthanxietyrecovery.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/doctor-knows-best/

MyNameIsTerry
19-03-15, 10:30
Thats a great article!

I know you have stated some of this in the past on here but this seems a more comprehensive version and I think it will serve as a good guide to others.

Something I noticed was that the GP you finally accessed was young. This is something I have noticed outside of mental health, that a young doctor is often more open minded and that older doctors seem to find their way to a conclusion more easily without considering all the facts. Obviously, this is not always the case but I think as you become a bit of a veteran in a subject, your hunches are often accurate but this can blind you to the reality because you also get those odd occasions where you make a mistake and in this sector a mistake is not something you can afford. Being inexperienced is less of a drawback when you know the steps needed to analyse the issue., it just means you may get there slower as you haven't learnt the shortcuts.

I also liked how you agreed with your GP to not allow tests for reassurance. I've seen this mentioned a few times where GP's just won't take the chance but I question this. I wonder whether there is a divide between the HA sufferer and the other disorders because the HA sufferer is going to be far more demanding and when you have the other disorders, you don't have the tunnel vision telling you its all bad so you have a more open discussion over what something may be and the right course of action. I think part of the GP's responsibility is to conduct tests when they are required because they have to consider the cost and the delays to other patients.

The view of the NHS that all care should be equal is sadly only a statement at this time as mental health services are far behind although as the government keep saying they will invest more, we can hope but I doubt it will ever get to equality.

Making your care a partnership is something that has been lacking for a long time and whilst this view is there, it really is going to need patients to take ownership. Not too ma ny years ago if you dared to complain about your GP services you could find yourself 'struck off' and this view is still there today when you talk to older people who are afraid of complaining. More is needed in this area and I believe that you have to manage your GP's service through this relationship so that you get access to the services that are out there because not all GP's are as open about what they can provide.

There is also an issue with how the coldface, the GP's, don't seem to echo this view as some take the old fashioned approach of a senior relationship to the patient. Again, you don't tend to feel this with a younger GP.

I have always had double appointments with my GP, at his request, to enable a longer discussion. Sadly, this means they are 10 minutes instead of 5! When I used to attend the walk-in groups this was common and I only came across one guy who was really happy with his GP because he gave him 30 minutes. Years ago we used to have a ticket based system at my surgery and we would frequently be waiting as the doctors were so far behind. Now we havce rigid time slots and things drift less. Sadly, this means we now feel like we are in a conveyor belt in a factory whereas before a GP would spend much longer dealing with you. This reallty needs addressing as its contributing to the problem but I guess there is the issue of resources in play too.

I always write things down. I've found that you can be flustered under pressure in therapy sessions or at your GP's. This means you lose valuable time and sessions can drift. I would bullet point key issues for discussion, just like any business meeting really so that they get covered. What I would say is write down what your GP says too. This is your evidence that your thoughts are irrational and by doing this, you can use a Thought Record to capture the issue. Then refer back to it when things are nagging at you and maybe even review them to see your patterns of behaviour.

MyNameIsTerry
08-05-15, 07:34
Bump

MyNameIsTerry
10-05-15, 06:30
Bump