PDA

View Full Version : Is it hereditary?

kareem
19-03-15, 07:59
Being a long life suferer of GAD, would my kids Inherit the same illness?

The reason I am asking is that I noticed that my 15 years old kid showing symptoms of being tense, shy and not forthcoming

Your input would be most valuable.

Thanks

MyNameIsTerry
19-03-15, 08:34
Hi Kareem,

I'm not sure that science has got that far yet but from my own reading about this, and from discussions I've seen on here, there are genetic markers for it.

However, I read about epigenetics recently and this explains that whilst a gene may exist, it has to be 'activated'. This is interesting because epigenetics has been well invested in in terms of research as its part of the cancer process. The activation in terms of cancer is well explained however the activation for conditions such as ours seems unclear but I did read references to creating an environment conducive to the formation of an anxiety disorder so and there was mention of poor gut health, B12 defiencieny, magnesium deficiency, etc.

It concluded that if you avoid the creation of such an environment, then the gene may remain in a non activated manner regardless of it coming from a parent gene. The advice was the same as for the everyone wishing to avoid these disorders e.g. proper diet, exercise, social interaction and various healthy behaviours.

There are books on this subject and various papers out there which it would be worth reading if you are interested in this area.

I would have to check my source but it did also mention that parent genes are only active over so many generations so if you recover, its possible that it is no longer there to be passed on.

It makes sense to me because my dad suffered from depression at a similiar age to me. I have a brother & sister and neither have any of this. Between them being born, as they are within a year of each other, and me as I was born much later...the depression occurred. So, I wonder whether that is a link but its all guessing right now.

kareem
19-03-15, 09:39
Very interesting reading, thanks very much
Yes, I would be interested in reading more about it if you can send me any link

Thanks again

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-15, 06:37
This is along the same lines although its not anxiety based like the one I read http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/11/epigenetic-vs-determinism.aspx. The on I read is available online but its in a magazine so you would have to sign up and sadly the article required paid membership so if you wanted it, you would have to briefly sign up but what I can do is try and scan it from my copy because I think we can PM images...if so, I can get it to you.

Otherwise, look for methylation which is the activation process for instance https://www.anxiety.org/methylation-biomarker-anxiety and http://www.nature.com/tp/journal/v4/n9/full/tp201483a.html

kareem
23-03-15, 10:32
Thanks very much
I will do

Emilym80
23-03-15, 12:08
I think a predisposition to anxiety can be hereditary, but it needs to be set off, so to speak. For instance, I have anxiety on both sides of my family and it's therefore very likely that I was predisposed, but my health anxiety was triggered by health scares/hospital visits when I was young.

Take care :)

MrAndy
23-03-15, 12:27
Hi Kareem
I often ask myself this question but I think its more of a learnt behaviour than hereditary
My mother suffered a nervous breakdown and my auntie and cousin both suffered from depression and were on meds.Even so I still think its a learnt behaviour,I have to be very careful around my 3 year old daughter as I dont want to pass on any bad vibes when I am feeling ill.Hopefully she wont pick up on my anxiety and will live a carefree and happy life,she is certainly a happy little thing now :)

kareem
24-03-15, 07:37
Hi Andy,

You really made me laugh on your footer "dont panic put the kettle on"
Indeed, I wish it was so easy as putting the kettle on

Anyways, I hope your children grow up to be normal and successful.