PDA

View Full Version : GERD

violet33
20-03-15, 12:40
I have GERD with NO burning. It's not pain but pressure that radiates to upper back. Does anyone else get this or even heard of this? Because every time I hear or read of gerd it says heartburn which I dont get. Dr says gerd can be without burn. It's just I don't know of anyone with gerd without burning. thank you

Dazza123
20-03-15, 13:25
I have had it for 12 years. I take 40mg Esomeprazole a day, plus ranitidine, gaviscon advance and metaclopromide when needed. The metaclopromide is good for relieving the pressure I find, but yes, I do get burning, but not always. A lot of the time its just pressure in my chest and back.

violet33
20-03-15, 14:28
Thank You for your response! Very helpful!

KayeS
20-03-15, 15:47
I've been experiencing this for the last 7 weeks. Recently had an endoscopy which saw nothing wrong but I have the same as you. No burning, but pressure in my upper back. Try cutting down on any foods that you find aggravate it. Coffee, spicy foods etc...

stacyct
22-03-15, 15:11
Yes!! I had the only symptom of chest pressure and tightness. No burning although my doctor insisted it was GERD. I had taken an antibiotic for an infection and one of its biggest side effects was actually ulcers in the esophagus. I told my doctor that I didn't have any heartburn sensations, no burning or pain, just pressure and tightness that felt like it radiated through my chest/back. I could take a deep breath but felt like I couldnt ...if that makes sense! After normal EKG, heart monitor, ultrasound, bloodsork, X-ray and MRI he prescribed me Prilosec. I was really stubborn and reluctant to take it because I refused to believe this was caused by something as common and simple as heartburn. I put it off but eventually decided what's the harm in trying? The morning after my first dose I was a new person. Didn't wake up with that heaviness or pressure. You can buy Prilosec or a similar drug OTC. There are really no side effects so it wouldn't hurt to try!

Two weeks after taking this I was symptom free. Good luck :) feel better and no worries!

violet33
22-03-15, 18:15
Thank You for all these responses! I take nexiun which is like Prilosec. I live in New York USA, & some medications are different between the two countries but very similar. The nexium helps but I still have to watch what I'm eating as I also have mild hiatal hernia & ibs with the gerd, I've been told these conditions many times are together but not always. Yes we do have Prilosec here too. Thank You!

wcb123
15-06-15, 03:36
i had gerd for over a year before i started getting any burning which is why i didnt believe the doctors diagnosis.. On hindsight it was all the symptoms of gerd which kickstarted my Health Anxiety disorder.

TracyL
02-07-15, 03:23
Hi

Has anyone been on Nexium long term? I have been on it for a few years now but recently found out that there may be issues being on it long term! Now I'm confused. If I stop taking it, my Gerd is terrible.

Thanks guys

Beckeroo79
06-04-16, 19:28
Hi Guys

I know this is an old thread but I have been struggling for two months with chest and back pressure which the doctors feel is reflux/gerd. I was wondering do others relate to this symptom?

For me it is just on the left side really and worse when I sit at certain angles. I have been worrying myself sick, which I'm sure isn't helping.

They did blood tests, H Pylori, chest X Ray and ultrasound, all were clear so the doctors seem to be exhausted by me keeping going back.

I was prescribed omeprazole but it really ramped up my anxiety and did not help with the symptoms. I have now been prescribed Ranitidine.

This is making me so miserable and ruining my relationship because I feel I am slipping in to a deep depression due to the worry. I have two children who rely on me solely and I am struggling right now to parent adequately.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. ��

Pastycakes
07-04-16, 00:02
I'm diagnosed with GERD too. I get a lot of discomfort in my ribs and back. It just makes me feel so uncomfortable and yucky. I've been on Nexium for a year now and it was a life saver for a while, but now it's not working as well. I've heard taking it long term can cause issues and deficiencies. I'm super anemic now and the iron I'm taking is making me miserable.

My discomfort is also more on the left, but that's because I have gallstones. Did they specifically check your gallbladder?

Omeprazole is prilosec, right? I tried switching to that recently and it was horrible. Didn't work at all for me.

I have to have a colonoscopy and an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to see if I have bleeding that's causing the anemia. Maybe it would be worth asking your doctor if you should have an endoscopy? I wouldn't back down, you deserve to feel better.