PDA

View Full Version : New to Panic

macdaddy
18-01-07, 17:56
Hello All:

I never even heard about a panic attack until a few months ago when I was traveling for business in Europe. When I arrived at the hotel desk to check-in, suddenly out of nowhere I felt like I was going to pass out then my heart started to race. It was a sudden fear that I was going to die right there. I collected myself went to my room where it finally passed. I quickly forgot about it and attributed to lack of sleep on the plane though the whold week I felt drugged or foggy in my head. Several weeks later when I returned to the office it happened again, so I immediately went to the doctor who did an ekg, lab work all of which came back normal. Then a few days later, I was talking to a friend on the phone and suddenly I felt pressure in my throat and could not finish my sentence and my heart raced. I thought for sure I was having a stroke, so I went to the ER and thought I would die right there. But after a while every test came back fine, x-rays, blood, heart, urine etc.
My doc put me on Lorazapam and it seemed to help some. No more sudden attacks, but milder sensations or waves of something moving through my head at certain times. Recently my doc decreased my dosage of Lorazapam and put me on Citloperm. He said that the citloperm takes a week or so to be effective. One day I did not take the Lorazapam and had a bad attack. Again while talking, I felt a sudden sick feeling or pressure in my throat and I couldn't finish my sentence. I lost my train of thought for a moment and my chest area had a hot sensation. It passed, but I am still feeling foggy at times. My legs and arms sometimes feel weak. I have an appointment with a neurologist just to rule out anything there, but know I'm worried about having MS, brain tumor which is fueling even more anxiety and it will be a month before i can see this neurologist. Does this sound like panic. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

darkangel
18-01-07, 18:20
Hi Mark

Firstly let me welcome you to the site where you will find lots of info and get support and advice from others.

After reading through your message, it would sound like it was panic attacks and you can reassure yourself knowing that you have had certain tests done. Having a panic attack out the blue is very frightening and can feel like you are going to die. It is very common for our thoughts to think about other life threatening conditions and it is important to try and break that thought pattern.

Can I ask you Mark, have you been under any stress recently or any changes in diet, etc?

Hope this has maybe helped a little

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

nomorepanic
18-01-07, 19:10
Hi Mark

Lovely to see you here so welcome aboard and hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Lindalou64
18-01-07, 19:24
hi mark
welcome im sure you will find lots of support and info and people with the same symptoms,,,,,,,,,,i wish ya the best take care.........linda[8D]

macdaddy
18-01-07, 19:41
[Hi Darkangel, thanks for the reply. Well I have had a lot of changes recently in my life. Mostly at work. But I don't feel stressed on the outside. I workout a lot and stick to a relatively healthy diet. Though the ER nurse said that with guys the stress can be internal even though we don't feel it in our emotions. I thought I could deal with any kind of stress, but guess I have learned otherwise. I'm glad to find this site and hear of similar experiences and how to deal with them]Hi Mark

Firstly let me welcome you to the site where you will find lots of info and get support and advice from others.

After reading through your message, it would sound like it was panic attacks and you can reassure yourself knowing that you have had certain tests done. Having a panic attack out the blue is very frightening and can feel like you are going to die. It is very common for our thoughts to think about other life threatening conditions and it is important to try and break that thought pattern.

Can I ask you Mark, have you been under any stress recently or any changes in diet, etc?

Hope this has maybe helped a little

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

<div align="right">Originally posted by darkangel - 18 January 2007 : 18:20:13</div id="right">
[/quote]