PDA

View Full Version : Gluten - How Many Times Do You Need Telling!!

shakey1961
22-03-15, 13:41
I've posted on here numerous times about how I've been cured by going on a gluten free diet. Why won't you try it?

Here is a post from a Coeliacs FB page...

"Oh that's interesting! They diagnosed me with depression. most of those symptoms went once I ditched the gluten! high anxiety, panics etc.. so not just me then?"

Do you believe me now?

pulisa
22-03-15, 19:59
Do you honestly think that it is as simple as that? Great that shunning gluten has really helped you but I don't think it's helpful to post such comments, especially as vulnerable new members may be clutching at any straws for help

shakey1961
22-03-15, 20:36
For some people, YES, I do believe it's as simple as that. I had panic attacks, anxiety, breathlessness, heart pounding, low blood sugar, feeling weak, thought my mind was going crazy, derealisation, etc etc etc. I've had the lot.

All cured now. OK I still have the remnants of the confidence issues and I get anxious at the thought of "what if" when I attempt something I've not been able to do in the past, but I seem to be able to come through it with flying colours.

All this, and at my worst I couldn't walk down the road! All gone.

A gluten free diet will be the cure for some, but I firmly believe that just by trying the diet, it could at least help people to cope.

What have you got to lose? If it categorically doesn't work, then you're no worse off, disappointed maybe, but if it does work you've everything to gain. It doesn't involve drugs or anything medical. OK it will hit your pocket harder as it's more expensive.

venusbluejeans
22-03-15, 21:50
Why won't you try it?

how do you know no one has tried it??

shakey1961
22-03-15, 23:46
Well, I have to admit I don't know, perhaps I should do a thread and ask.

MyNameIsTerry
23-03-15, 07:14
It is a possibility to explore, but thats all along with lactose, candida overgrowth, etc.

I don't find eating gluten triggers me. I eat the same foods and some weeks I'm bad and others I'm fine which doesn't seem like I have an issue with gluten.

There have been others on here who have gone gluten free and I can see one mentioning it on the HA board at the moment in Skippy's thread.

I guess just be reasonable about it, its a possibility for some.

Magic
23-03-15, 14:23
This is what I think. I personally cannot be bothered to look at food contents.
I try to eat healthy things. That's all. I eat dark chocolate sometimes though.
I know some one who has a gluten allergy. It must be a nightmare for them doing food shopping.
The sooner I am out of the super market the better.

JMA
23-03-15, 14:44
I would love to try it.

So if the OP can do all my food shopping for me, subsidising the extra costs of course, then that would be just fabulous.

Cheers!

Sunflower2
23-03-15, 19:38
Given that I went through I rough patch where I ate very little of anything and my anxiety got 10 x worse, I don't think gluten has any effect on me. I actually feel much better eating a balanced diet, including a lot of gluten containing foods. And I know what food has an effect on me, I'm very very aware! Although I'd love to think that cutting out a food group would cure me, I know that my anxiety is caused by my strangely wired brain rather than a reaction to food. In any case, the first thing I'd be cutting out would be the tonnes of sugar that probably make me jittery! Just love chocolate too much...

PanchoGoz
23-03-15, 19:55
I don't know why shakey but your post makes me feel like I want to try it less. Out of rebellion.

Sam100322
23-03-15, 20:03
Yeah this post definately came across in the wrong way. How many times do I have to tell you? Great it's worked for you it's not working going to work for others

pulisa
24-03-15, 08:54
20 years ago some doctor announced that going gluten-free could cure autism. Guess what, it doesn't but countless desperate parents tried the diet.

I think you should calm down about this, shakey. I know you are passionate about trying to spread the word but it's not helpful to most sufferers.

MyNameIsTerry
24-03-15, 09:59
20 years ago some doctor announced that going gluten-free could cure autism. Guess what, it doesn't but countless desperate parents tried the diet.

I think you should calm down about this, shakey. I know you are passionate about trying to spread the word but it's not helpful to most sufferers.

Paleo seems to be getting spouted around thesedays which I find interesting because there is scientific evidence that the paleo diet doesn't match to what they have found was eaten in the paleolithic era, so its built on incorrect facts!! :doh::doh::doh:

You even get paleo style workouts thesedays! And my personal favourite seen in mags, animal movements...yeah, because we have the same physiology afterall don't we! There is so much fad stuff out there that it can be hard understanding what to try. Gluten free might help some, just like the cases of thyroid issues where people have suffered misdiagnosed anxiety disorders for decades, but its just one to rule out and gluten is at least an easy one by the sounds of it.

Mart0310
24-03-15, 10:14
Ineteresting topic, I guess my view has always been that Anxiety works i very specific pattern .. i.e. normal day to day stress causing the initial reaction by pushing the blood chemistry out of synch and causing a fight or flight reaction and subsequent attacks are thought based as result of fearing further anxiety attack might happen.

I struggle to see a relationship with food?

MyNameIsTerry
24-03-15, 10:22
Anxiety is learny behaviour Mart, so it requires a period of consolidation in order to keep making associations between neurons, hence why it gets stronger. The same process that creates, resolves it - neuroplasticity.

Anxiety can be triggered by thoughts, feelings, sensations or emotions which I was taught in CBT. Therapists only concentrate on this area rather than take a holistic approach to determine what other factors may be causing it or ocntributing to it, hence people like Shakey who find out on their own. I read of a women who was misdiagnosed for decades and hers turned out to be food intolerance and now she is fine and has charities set up to educate & support people about this.

However, various medications, physical illnesses and food intolerances can also cause it. Remove the issue, the anxiety should go. I guess this could depend on how much of it has become your thoughts though, but it certainly removes a big trigger.

Mart0310
24-03-15, 11:29
Interesting stuff! I was just wondering how possible it would be that we strive for an answer and wether that answer be right or wrong the fact that we believe it resolves the anxiety?

Are there usually physical symptoms of this intolerance that would not usually be associated with Anx?

blue moon
24-03-15, 11:33
This is what I think. I personally cannot be bothered to look at food contents.
I try to eat healthy things. That's all. I eat dark chocolate sometimes though.
I know some one who has a gluten allergy. It must be a nightmare for them doing food shopping.
The sooner I am out of the super market the better.

I agree Helen:D dark chocolate is OK to eat I was look at rice in the store today and noticed that 1brand had on packet "gluten free" as far as I know there is no gluten in rice,also it was more expensive,:)

Mindknot
24-03-15, 13:16
Anxiety can be triggered by thoughts, feelings, sensations or emotions which I was taught in CBT. Therapists only concentrate on this area rather than take a holistic approach to determine what other factors may be causing it or ocntributing to it, hence people like Shakey who find out on their own. I read of a women who was misdiagnosed for decades and hers turned out to be food intolerance and now she is fine and has charities set up to educate & support people about this.

However, various medications, physical illnesses and food intolerances can also cause it. Remove the issue, the anxiety should go. I guess this could depend on how much of it has become your thoughts though, but it certainly removes a big trigger.

Absolutely - although I don't always think those things are necessarily always large triggers, and each person really has to figure out what theirs are for themselves. For me it was a combination of a lot of things, and as I worked on each of those physical stresses, my overall level of anxiety has improved. I know I still have work to do on fixing my negative thinking, but generally I feel healthier for it already. So, I've been working on a few things - fitness level, posture, improving diet and cutting down on the booze... Now, I'm getting down to pure head stuff :D

In general response to this topic - I do think that changing your diet can sometimes help but I would strongly urge people not to dive headfirst into a dietary change without researching how best to do it first - especially as a sudden change in diet can be another 'stress'. We live in a quick-fix culture i know, but it's really not the best way to approach it, keep a food diary for a while, monitor whether any foods make you feel more uncomfortable/bloated/anxious and after a time learn how to moderate those not avoid.

This is what I've done, and I have discovered that actually a lot of gluten things I have no/little problem with... overly processed foods tend to cause some problems, certain dairy products, and generally sugary foods... also just plain eating too much of anything causes me anxiety! - I suspect it's more to do with managing the peaks and troughs of blood sugar levels tbh (not even related to diabetes, just biology), but I'm no medic... I've by no means found the perfect balance yet, but the point is that everyone's different, don't just blanket cut out a food because it works for some... please take your time to work out if it's the right choice for you first.

Also, if you are seriously concerned that gluten may be causing you issues, go to your doctor and get tested for celiac disease before you do anything else, they are the only one who can really tell you whether you should be avoiding gluten...

rooby
24-03-15, 14:16
I am a coeliac been on a gluten free diet for 17 years. My anxiety and depression started 10 years ago. I think it is a bit rude and opinionated to state that gluten is the cause when for some of us it obviously isn't

mikewales
24-03-15, 19:48
Glad it helped you, but there are so many types of anxiety and causes of it that going gluten free would probably only help a very small percentage of people.

Mart0310
24-03-15, 21:14
I guess it can also depend on how much you believe in any particular 'cure'? In much the same way as telling yourself you will feel anxious in situation X, Y or Z (and of course because of that you do) wouldnt the same apply in reverse? If you told yourself and genuinely believed that it was no longer possible to feel anxious because you had removed Gluten from the diet, wouldnt it be likely that you wouldnt feel anxious ... you have told yourself its not possible?

teez
24-03-15, 22:42
ive been wheat and gluten free for years now,, and apart from its helped my stomach ,,my nerves are still very much the same

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-15, 09:34
Interesting stuff! I was just wondering how possible it would be that we strive for an answer and wether that answer be right or wrong the fact that we believe it resolves the anxiety?

Are there usually physical symptoms of this intolerance that would not usually be associated with Anx?

I guess it can also depend on how much you believe in any particular 'cure'? In much the same way as telling yourself you will feel anxious in situation X, Y or Z (and of course because of that you do) wouldnt the same apply in reverse? If you told yourself and genuinely believed that it was no longer possible to feel anxious because you had removed Gluten from the diet, wouldnt it be likely that you wouldnt feel anxious ... you have told yourself its not possible?

It depends on the issue Mart because with certain other medical triggers you probably will e.g. distended stomach is one I think I've seen somewhere (maybve Candida overgrowth).

If you have a genuine intolerance or medical issue causing it, you can use CBT techniques to limit their effect on you but they will still cause anxiety. CBT is used in cancer treatment but its only for pain tolerance, it can't treat cancer. So, the same could apply here.

Having said that, food has been a trigger issue for me since my relapse but more because eating does cause sensation changes in the body e.g. Thermal Effect of Food (TEF) and I have found, wehn I'm at my worst, that I'm so sensitive that I translate this to anxiety symptoms.

You can definately make anything a trigger.

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Glad it helped you, but there are so many types of anxiety and causes of it that going gluten free would probably only help a very small percentage of people.

I agree and the thing to notice about your post is the use of "many" types of anxiety and causes", especially the causes. We have to rule them out and no amount of CBT is going to resolve an issue that has a physical element e.g. diabetes.

Mart0310
25-03-15, 11:15
The nature of the beast I spose, there is never a certainty because of its broad spectrum. Ultimately, if it works, it works :yesyes:

blue moon
25-03-15, 11:18
You can definately make anything a trigger.[COLOR="blue"]

I agree with that Terry.:yesyes: