PDA

View Full Version : HA is back - Dementia obsession!

Lu88
24-03-15, 18:55
Hey Guys,

So, I have had really good month with no worries over my health, however yesterday I was giving a vocal lesson and couldn't for the life of me remember the word I needed, once my student used it in a sentance I thought, "aha, that's the word I needed!". Later on that evening I couldn't remember the word for hot water bottle - I did a few seconds later but I had a memory lapse.

This morning I woke up obsessing over this, forgetting twice in one day concerned me, am I being over dramatic? Also earlier I was going over to the cabinet to get a plate and started thinking about something totally unrelated, I started faffing about in the kitchen and thought "did I get a bowl before?" I didn't check, instead I went to get a plate, and realised as I placed it on the food counter I had got one already when I initially went to the cabinet but my mind had drifted so I got it on auto piolot but didn't realise.

I am only 26, turning 27 next week - and my grandmother has vascular dementia - I have googled (bad, I know) and it seems my memory loss is normal memory loss and I think because I am obsessing, I have become hyper sensitive about it and I am noticing what is normal forgetfulness almost too much and assuming the worse!!

I keep testing myself too - seeing if I can remember car reg plates etc.

Please help me - I feel crazy!! My "symptoms" haven't even been that bad!! Very minor but I just feel weird. Today I have felt unattached all day. These little forgetful moments yesterday and today have triggered off my HA something rotten.

What is the likelyhood of getting dementia at 27? I feel ridiculous.

popejoan
24-03-15, 20:25
You know yourself that 27 is too young for dementia. Early onset dementia is extremely rare. Trust me, I've been there as I thought I had memory loss but it's all anxiety. You can't focus on other things cause you're anxious. I think you need to stop thinking about it and enjoy your young years :)

JMA
24-03-15, 21:15
am I being over dramatic?

You probably know the answer to that, as most of your post rationalises what happened in class. You just need to reinforce that thought, rather than the negative one.

Easier said, I know.