PDA

View Full Version : I've got to get 3 fillings at the dentist terrified isn't the word

Lockey1995
25-03-15, 22:30
Hey,

This dental phobia started when I was young and had a terrible experience with the injection it's stopped me going because I know it will happen again, basically when the nurse administered the shot it burned and was horrible. About 6 months ago I noticed a hole on my molar I left it but lately it's been giving me a bit of jip. I took one step and had a check up I need 3 fillings I agreed to do them all in one sitting but I don't think that's wise and might ring up and say I'll do them in 2. What do you think? Anyway when I came out I was terrified crying, couldn't breath, major panic attacks
Literally paralysed by the fear of having this done next Thursday and it's all I'm thinking about they said they can use a gel on the gum
But I know it will still hurt :(.

Any advice?

Steve1964
25-03-15, 22:45
Well, I certainly would not do all three in one sitting. That's one hell of a shift!

I used to have a deep fear and loathing of dentists, but my present one is excellent, and really reassuring. They are used to people who fear them, so talk to him/her. Also, the advances in dentistry even in the last ten years have been phenomenal. Acute pain during surgery is now a thing of the past with a decent dentist, and the injection to numb the gum really is nothing more than a little scratch.

I hope this is reassuring.

Pipkin
25-03-15, 23:20
Personally, I'd get them all out of the way at once so that I didn't have to have it hanging over me for longer than necessary. One visit, one lot of injections and a bit longer in the chair sounds better than completing one round of treatment and then waiting a week for another.

Each to their own though.

Pip

23fish
25-03-15, 23:35
I think it depends on where they are. If they are in the same area you may be able to have them done with one injection. It's not very nice having both sides of your mouth numb at once.

Remember dental treatment has come on a long way since we were children. You may be able to have some sort of anaesthetic gel to numb your gum before the injection. Also, I always tell myself that the injection is the worst bit and that it's not as bad as childbirth! It is uncomfortable but not for long.

Have you told your dentist how you feel? You could discuss e.g. whether you want them to talk through what they are doing or to just get on with it. They will have come across many other patients who feel as you do and you may be reassured by telling them how scared you are.

Good luck - you can do it!

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Sorry, just read back and realised you've mentioned the gel.

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

Could you take somebody with you to talk to you while you are waiting to go in, or even when you are being treated?

Lockey1995
25-03-15, 23:48
Yeah I'll do it in 2 seperate ones and id need 2 injections for all 3, I have talked it through but still scared

wooodyp
28-04-15, 02:47
Hi Lockey

I know what you are going through. When I was a young kid around 8 years old I had to have 4 teeth pulled at one sitting. The worst part was the 8 needles I had to have with no prefreezing. I did not go back to the dentist until I was 33. I went back because one of my bottom wisdoms was half eaten away. I went to the right dentist. He understood and explained that they use prefreezing now. He also told me to imagine I was on the most beautiful beach in the world. Imagine I am there and do not think about where you are now. He had a very calm voice and I was able to use my imagination. In went the needle and I did not feel it or when he pulled the tooth. Now, every time I go to the dentist I use my imagination and go to the beach. Works every time. The mind is a very powerful tool.

Emilym80
01-05-15, 05:36
Hi Lockey,

All good advice here :) I've had to have something like 16 baby teeth pulled, as well as numerous fillings and a few surgical procedures on my gums. I'm no stranger to those kinds of injections!

I can tell you that, with the gel on beforehand, they're honestly not too bad at all. I know pain is subjective but I don't think I have the highest pain tolerance necessarily, but they weren't too bad for me. In fact, I usually find them surprisingly easy, given how intimidating the syringe itself looks!

I personally would prefer to have them done in 2 sittings, but it'll depend on how much work needs doing for each one. If they're small, try and do them all in one sitting; then you don't need to go through the whole ordeal more than once, for now.

As the others have said, do your best to keep your mind occupied. I feel relieved once the injections themselves are over, as I can sit back and 'relax', lol. I would also tell your dentist beforehand that you're nervous about the injections, as they can give the gel longer to set in and maybe be a little more gentle and slow with the injections than they would be otherwise.

Best of luck :) good on you for getting the teeth seen to.