PDA

View Full Version : citalopram to mirtazapine

Miaya
26-03-15, 17:41
I was on citalopram quite happily for 8 years for anxiety but last summer it began to affect my stomach - indigestion, nausea, constant coughing, gas - so decided it was time to 'go it alone'.
I have done 8 months med free, ups and downs but of late the downs are more prevalent and the anxiety is exhausting and interfering more significantly with sleeping and daily life.
My gp has prescribed mirtazapine but I am very nervous of this medication because I don't want to sleep the clock round also I do not want to out on any more weight as I am trying to lose weight.
Alternatively I could go back on citalopram with omeprazole to help with the stomach issues. I took one tablet and felt so sick within hours.
Ant comments/advice/recommendations welcome.

hanshan
27-03-15, 08:47
Hi Miaya,

Pregabalin has fewer digestive issues than some other ADs. One of its effects is as an anti-emetic, which may be helpful. You may be able to get coated tablets which don't dissolve immediately, and lower the possibility of any stomach problems.

Usually the daytime sleepiness goes within one to two weeks, but it can be a bother at first.

You do need a bit of extra vigilance to maintain your weight, but weight gain is not automatic and doesn't affect everyone. I initially gained weight (although I was also eating in response to anxiety). However, in the past two and a half years I've managed to lose around ten kilos and maintain that weight, so it is possible to lose weight while taking mirtazapine. But even maintaining my weight means that I have to be a bit more careful than I was before.