PDA

View Full Version : Tesco

Lee2475
26-03-15, 20:36
Don't Laugh :roflmao:

I had a moment in tesco once and I avoid it now, Not the thing to do I know but I have exepted its a no go area for me during the day, However I can manage it at nite.

But i can walk around currys or something like maplins all day.

Im just a weirdo :scared15:

venusbluejeans
26-03-15, 23:18
Sorry I laughed :/

Do it a bit at a time..... go look at something close to the front of the store and walk back out again.... then maybe next time go in and pay for something that is close to the front of the store.... and then make your trips in there bigger and longer each time.... before you know it you will be walking round tesco's all day too (but I wouldn't suggest it, it would be very very boring lol)

xBettyBoopx
27-03-15, 03:17
Of course you're not a weirdo :):)

You had a 'turn' in Tesco and now you think it will always happen when you go in there so you avoid it. That's kinda ok coz there are plenty of other superstores. But I suggest the same as Venus, 'baby steps':winks:

Els
xxx

MyNameIsTerry
27-03-15, 06:21
I've had my issues with supermarkets as when my GAD takes me to rock bottom, I would struggle even going out so these places become another hurdle to get over.

The first time I went through all this I would go out walking but always outisde. This made it harder to get back into places like this.

When I relapsed, I made a point of getting into these places very early on and it did make it easier. It was still hard, but it was more manageable than the first time. I first started going into B&Q because its spread out, quiet and has an outdoor section that would allow for a break from the store but still being in somewhere. Then I pushed on to Tesco. Later on I was in busy CBD's and coped well with it. You may also find you have the odd wobble as well even after you think you have conquered it and this is common and can often be because of something else e.g. lack of sleep, other physical symptoms prior to even going in, other worries playing on your mind, etc.

Do it small. You know you can go in there so start a ladder approach to it and incorporate areas you would normally shop in when within in. Play around with the times as well because I'm assuming that its about how busy it is, so don't go straight for peak times but look for times its busier than it is right now and go from there.

Its not weird, you will find threads in here with lots of people saying the same. Its a confidence issue, and anxiety is well known for badly damaging that. I can see this in my case because hitting rock bottom means having to rebuild all those things that people take for granted.

Lee2475
27-03-15, 09:27
Thanks for the comments.
A wobble is exactly what I get now, Once im outside Im ok, To be honest im not great in alot of shops, Unless it's something im interested in then all seems ok.
You hit the nail on th head with B&Q I do go in there and i have been in the garden part outside to recover, Ive been having issues like this for years.
Why is it you start feeling dizzy and light headed in these places?
In all honesty you wouldnt think that anxiety really could do this but it obviously does.
Im having some issues at the moment with various pills to try and help me out, I seem to be having bad side affects from them all and having to work with them is getting impossible.
I drive alot and I worry about this.:weep:

MyNameIsTerry
27-03-15, 09:53
Hi Lee,

I think its about being overwhelmed but there are various elements to this e.g. people, noise, if its busy, indecisiveness over what you are buying/too much choice, bright lighting, sense of how enourmous the space is, etc.

I found it hard for all of that plus the fact I had my first anxiety attack at work in a large open plan office so I guess that was in my thoughts too.

Thats why I was able to tolerate B&Q easier because its much more easy going. Supermarkets are all about "rush, rush, rush" and people can be whizzing past you and some people become flustered by this. Then you have queues, things go wrong, knackered tills and you need help, etc. It all adds to it.

Its one of those things that will come back to you as you expose yourself to it.

I would think its all much worse with side effects so I wouldn't judge it too much right now because that can be stopping you moving forward until you pass the end of them.

Lee2475
27-03-15, 11:45
Well it's good too know that, I work fixing photocopiers and im in and out of offices all say, When i first started the job I had to do 3 months training 5-6 years ago, Well I paid a visit to the doctor and explained that i was pleased i got the job but wasnt sure how i would cope with going in and out of offices ect.

He gave me a weak dose of diazapam, and I will be honest
I didnt take them unless i needed it as there addictive.

Problem is it seems it's the only thing that works for me.

I have alot of neck pain due to ankylosing spondylitis and its constant pain, It's an immune disorder.
I think over time this has worn me down and its come out, Had a few personal problems as well, Relationship issues, And work can be very stressful somedays.
Just seems worse over the last few months, Lost abit of weight to start with that worried me, now Ive been on Imipramine I cant stop eating.

Think it's a rut, some days I worry im really not well but others I feel ok.
Not good today as im off for a ECG in abit as hearts all over the place.

Even more so now :unsure:
Im a very nervous person always on edge and if im going to be honest with you i need counselling now, I will mention this in abit.
Thanks for your time.

Magic
27-03-15, 15:58
Our local B&Q is a nice spaced out shop, but they have no toilets.:huh:

MyNameIsTerry
28-03-15, 08:03
Don't Laugh :roflmao:

I had a moment in tesco once and I avoid it now, Not the thing to do I know but I have exepted its a no go area for me during the day, However I can manage it at nite.

But i can walk around currys or something like maplins all day.

I remember reading that panic attacks can occur in the same places as they have previously even if there is little anxiety leading up to it. It makes sense because the area of the brain that deals with this, the right Amygdala (the fear centre) is known to store memories as well as emotional reactiopns and the stronger the reaction, the more likely it is to see something as significant.

ERP is the way to resolve that issue though as given in some examples already by a couple of us.

---------- Post added at 08:02 ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 ----------

Well it's good too know that, I work fixing photocopiers and im in and out of offices all say, When i first started the job I had to do 3 months training 5-6 years ago, Well I paid a visit to the doctor and explained that i was pleased i got the job but wasnt sure how i would cope with going in and out of offices ect.

He gave me a weak dose of diazapam, and I will be honest
I didnt take them unless i needed it as there addictive.

Problem is it seems it's the only thing that works for me.

I have alot of neck pain due to ankylosing spondylitis and its constant pain, It's an immune disorder.
I think over time this has worn me down and its come out, Had a few personal problems as well, Relationship issues, And work can be very stressful somedays.
Just seems worse over the last few months, Lost abit of weight to start with that worried me, now Ive been on Imipramine I cant stop eating.

Think it's a rut, some days I worry im really not well but others I feel ok.
Not good today as im off for a ECG in abit as hearts all over the place.

Even more so now :unsure:
Im a very nervous person always on edge and if im going to be honest with you i need counselling now, I will mention this in abit.
Thanks for your time.

Arrghhhh, I used to hate office photocopiers!!! I didn't mind the slightly older tower style ones but these newer ones with loads of functions are a real pain in the rear entrance! Paper jams weren't too bad as you get used to the crevices it gets into but toner issues were a pain.

Maybe its the size of open plan places, how busy they are, alien environments & uncertainty or that you feel you are under pressure because all eyes are on you but you can get past this stage. I found this was always when I was hitting riock bottom and building my confidence really helped along with exposure.

I always say that recovery from such as GAD is like learning all the things we learnt as children except with a force fighting against you this time making it ten times harder.

---------- Post added at 08:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 ----------

Our local B&Q is a nice spaced out shop, but they have no toilets.:huh:

Its the same at mine but they do have a lot of nice sheds outside quite far away from the doors...:whistles::winks::D

Magic
28-03-15, 14:13
Ha! ha! Terry, Well,the other week I was looking for paint and I could not make my mind up about the colour. There is a vast range of paint believe me. My husband bless him wanted the loo. I ought to have sent him outside:whistles::wacko::winks: