PDA

View Full Version : Continued thread

Zaker
27-03-15, 22:23
Hi folks,

I'm starting a new thread as I stopped getting replies on my other one and I could do with some more advice and support.

It's been 6 weeks in total on venlafaxine (2 weeks 37.5mg / 4 weeks 75mg) and it has lifted my depression so I'm confident it's working for that and that it is having a positive effect in general.

My issue is with anxiety. Lots of anxiety in social situations even with close family members, not knowing what to say, clouded thoughts and judgement, having to leave situations due to anxiety, retreating home when it gets tough. Those type of things.

I have the doc again on Tuesday, can anyone give some advice on how to pitch our conversation?

Nicola1980 you mentioned 150mg being an optimum dose for anxiety, can I ask is this based on your experience or go advice or a combo?

I'm thinking ask for it to be increased. I'm going back to work the middle of April, I've been off for 4 months and I feel it is detrimental for me to stay at home any longer.

Can anyone offer up some pointers please? I'd appreciate it

Thanks

spawn
27-03-15, 22:44
Hi, I suffered social anxiety when I was Ven, even though I never had before in my life.
6 weeks is not along time for Ven to work in my experience, the anxiety will get better but it can be a rocky road. I felt crushed with anxiety and no way out, but I did come out the other side. Diazepam can help you in high anxiety situations also. I'm afraid there is no quick fix, I went up to 150mg but felt the side effects were to much for me so settled on 75mg. But it could be much better for you? I would say talk it through with gp, try an increase, you can always drop down if not for you? Gav

Zaker
27-03-15, 22:55
I'm not really sure if I want to bring diazepam into the mix to be honest, I've heard it can be addictive and given I've just quit drinking (5 months) I'd like to avoid any more addictive substances.

I understand what you're saying, there are no quick fixes, I took citalopram for 8 weeks before this and I was gutted it didn't work because I'd been on that one before , and it had quelled my symptoms to a manageable level for over 2 years. I tapered off after this period , and enjoyed 8 months without any meds. Then crashed.

I'd just like to gauge feedback so I can attend my GP appointment with some background info

aprilmoon
27-03-15, 23:00
Hi
I've been on Ven for years at varying levels,but after a bad period of depression and crippling anxiety last year it was increased to 185mg taken as one dose in the morning coupled with a low dose of Olanzapine (5mg) which proved to be a lifesaver for me in dealing with anxiety.
The very next day after taking it I felt a difference,and that has continued.
These were prescribed for me through seeing a psychiatrist, which is something you might like to consider discussing with your doc.

nicola1980
28-03-15, 05:30
Hi Zaker, this was based on my physc's advice, the usual starting dose of ven is 75mg so your not really on a high dose at all, if i was you I would ask for a small increase and see how you feel from there, i didn't start to see a proper improvement until I was on 150mg and even then I needed an extra increase of 37.5mg. Have a good chat with your Gp about it XX

spawn
28-03-15, 08:52
Hi Zaker
I was on Ven around 18 months, got myself back to a pretty normal level so asked to withdraw, doctor wasn't to keen but did agree. 9 months later med free I crashed big time,
Tried to get through it with propanolol but a few months later I'm now on Sertraline.
Everyone's different and it's all about small steps. I understand your worrys about diazepam, but it really is like a safety net. I only take it on a as and when basis.
Good luck.

Zaker
28-03-15, 09:50
Delighted with all the feedback and sharing of experiences guys, I feel a bit better with a little more information.

Thanks for your help everyone

SADnomore
28-03-15, 21:55
Hi Zaker!
Please keep us posted on how you did with the doc, and how you make out. I'm now taking trazodone for sleep, along with my ven, which I just straight-swapped from zopiclone. I have had dependency on benzodiazapenes myself, so I was leery with the rebound insomnia I got every time I didn't take the zop. I understand both what Gav is saying and how you feel. I wish it weren 't true, but I have to agree that those of us who have had addictions have got to stay away from the substances that are likely to cause a relapse. Nature of the beast, sad to say.

Personally I admit I am anxious, moreso than before the ven, but on the other hand, my depression has lifted, a little bit with each increase. This was my primary illness, and its treatment is what has made it possible to function and get through the winter here.

Aprilmoon's olanzapine is said to have no addictive properties, and yes, be very effective as an anti-anxiety medication, as well as good for sleep. Once again with her helpful advice I am considering asking the doctor for one more switch. I had been considering olanzapine or mirtazapine earlier. Truth to tell, I was really afraid about not being able to come off the zopiclone, but am more confident now that trazodone has worked so well. It helps to the extent that even as it takes somewhat longer to work, I feel calm during this time.

Aprilmoon, do you still take the olanzapine at night, has there been any problems with that? Have you found that the sleep aid benefits reduced over time? My doc won't prescribe more than two psych meds at a time, and so I will need to give up the trazodone to commence with it. I feel as though I could benefit from a stronger anti-anxiety, and it sounds as though the olanzapine could meet both needs, would you agree? I might be able to augment with trazodone for occasional insomnia, but I doubt he would be happy with that third med.

Good luck all!
Marie xx