PDA

View Full Version : I've had a few panic attacks but I didnt know before

SammiP
28-03-15, 00:10
I'm 17 and the other day I had my first full blown panic attack. I didn't know what was going on at first because I didn't know that what I was experiencing was a panic attack. My friend, who was there at the time, asked if I was having one and when I said I didn't know, she identified that I was having an attack. (she used to get them)
Previous times I've just felt terrified of I have no idea what and just curled up in a ball in my room. I thought it might have been a hormonal thing. However after my most recent attack I didn't calm down for about 20 hours. I don't know what triggered it, I just felt very scared and felt like crying and being on my own. I was shaking and couldn't really do anything. My friend helped me through it.
I don't know what could have caused it. The only thing I can think of is that I'm scared of coming out to my parents as bisexual. But I've identified as Bi for over 6 months now and never felt anxious about it. Over the past few months I get odd nights where I feel terrified of something, and I cant concentrate on anything.
Do I need to see a doctor about it? What could they do to help? What medication would help and how?
Thanks.

Dan Wales
28-03-15, 15:51
You should see a doctor. Maybe anti depressants may help. You should talk to some one about your bisexuality, there may be some groups in your area you can join

anthrokid
28-03-15, 23:28
Hey Sammi,

The first step would be to let someone know what you are experiencing so you feel a bit more supported. It sounds like your friend has been really supportive which is great for you.

Often someone's first panic attack is very frightening because they don't understand that it is a panic attack and interpret it to be something really life threatening. A panic attack generally occurs because your body interprets something as dangerous/life threatening. There might not actually be anything dangerous or life-threatening about a situation, but for some reason your body has made a mistake and got itself in a bit of a fright. Sometimes after experiencing a panic attack people can become scared of having another one, which can increase anxiety and bring on further panic attacks. Sometimes you don't need something to be anxious about in particular, you can just get an overwhelming sense of fear and dread.

I agree with Dan, it would definitely be a good idea to visit your doctor. They will be able to help you understand the panic attacks more and will be able to figure out what will best help you. Options will vary, but usually it will be either therapy (CBT) or medication, or both.

SammiP
30-03-15, 00:36
Thanks guys, the support is really great. Have you any tips on how to talk to my parents about it? Its just I thought I had depression for a while but it was actually just the dreading feeling of exams (I told my folks and they said it was just exams). That's all over now and life is great apart from this anxiety that's been getting to me lately. I'm just worried that they might dismiss it.
Any/all comments are helpful.
Thankyou

Emilym80
02-04-15, 14:29
Hi Sammi,

First of all, I'm bi, too, so if you'd like to talk about that, feel free to PM me. It definitely caused me a LOT of anxiety when I first realised, as does the prospect of telling certain people.

As for your anxiety, I would try and explain exactly how you feel to your parents, how long it's been going on for and how it impacts on your life. You could try finding an article or resource on anxiety/panic; my parents did not understand my anxiety at all and used to get very frustrated with me as they couldn't relate. I found a website that explains GAD (what I have) and I showed it to my parents and they're now very understanding and supportive. If
you're still worried they won't believe you, could you talk to a GP first? Maybe if you come home saying that your doctor's said you've been having panic attacks/anxiety and that you feel that you are, too, I imagine they'd be less inclined to scepticism.

Panic attacks can come on with no warning, I think. You may also be stressed/worried about something and not realise. If it transpires that you have anxiety I would recommend therapy like CBT instead of going straight to medication.

Best of luck :)