PDA

View Full Version : Parkinson's

pb
28-03-15, 11:59
Hands keep shaking.
This morning I was holding mobile phone and my hand started to shake.
Now scared I have Parkinson's.
Has anyone had shaken hands and been ok.
Thanks

Magic
28-03-15, 14:04
pb. My husbands hands shake like that all the time. He has what you call a benign tremor. He has had it for years. If it continues see your GP

wooodyp
30-04-15, 20:15
Was diagnosed with Parkinson's 2011, was able to walk fine, dress myself no problem, get out of a chair. Within 1.5 years I went right down hill. Could hardly dress myself, bumping into walls from balance loss, and could not even get out of a chair. Wow really went downhill fast. I never had the shakes though. Never, and thats one of the common symptoms. Everyone is different. Thank heavens for Levodopa. Within one month of starting 250/25 levodopa/carbidopa, it was nothing short of a miracle. I could get out of chair no problem, dress myself, no more balance problems. Been on it for about 1.5 years now, and am still doing good. And still no shake.

countrygirl
30-04-15, 20:52
This is not foolproof by any means but one distinction with benign tremor and parkinsons is that the tremor of parkinsons is worst at rest whereas the tremor of benign tremor is worst when you use your hands.

I have a few family members with parkinsons and I have been very accurate in spotting it even before the Dr because eveyr one has had a certain way of walking. I saw one friend of mine walking and straight ways thought parkinsons but knew that he had not been diagnosed with it so was in a quandary about what to say. He did not have any tremor at all just the parkinsons shuffle. I eventually asked him if he had mentioned his changed gait to his Dr and he said no so I encouraged him to mention it and he was subsequently diagnosed with parkinsons.

Benign tremor is incredibly common as is tremor due to anxiety whereas parkinsons is uncommon and you don't have any other symptoms.

Emilym80
01-05-15, 03:53
I've had tremors since I was a kid. I always get them when I'm tired.

Maybe your arm was just tired from holding your phone? I also noticed that my teacher once had tremors so badly, he could hardly hand out work, etc. I actually asked him about it because we had a good relationship and I'd known him for ages (probably still a bit intrusive lol) and he said they were benign.

He had anxiety, too. I'm fairly certain anxiety itself can cause them :)