PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried

Maisonsmum123
28-03-15, 12:22
Hi I'm new here and I just want to introduce myself and ask a question. I've been diagnosed with depression and was put on 15mg of mirtizapine, which was then changed to 30mg just over a month ago but I'm getting myself into a panic as I've noticed my ankles are swelling slightly and I'm becoming more anxious thinking I'm going to have a heart attack or something because of this and with it being the weekend my gp is closed. Has anyone else experienced this and should I be worried and go to a&e or is this normal and I won't die

nomorepanic
28-03-15, 12:27
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

MyNameIsTerry
28-03-15, 12:54
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Swelling is listed as a less common side effect that you should make your GP aware of, however with it being over a month it seems less likely it could be a side effect as you would expect to have been seeking it within that first month when the onset side effect window occurs.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/mirtazapine-side-effects.html

One thing I can tell you from checking side effect information on several medications in the past is that if there is a serious risk, it will say so on the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) that you get in the box and one Drugs.com's website. For instance, with some SSRI's they mention Serotoin Syndrome (often in sections about taking other medicatoins together) which is very serious and they are very clear about pointing this out and what you should do to seek immediate emergency assistance. (don't worry about Serotonin Syndrome either, it's very rare and I've only used it to show you what they would state with something that was potentially serious)

So, consider that for perspective. If swelling was serious, they would instruct you to contact emergency services, not mention it to your GP as it would be too late by then.

If you want to be safe about it, you could contact NHS Direct and they will advise you.