PDA

View Full Version : Afriad of having MS

happy2b
31-03-15, 02:58
I can't stop worrying that I might have multiple sclerosis. I get small twitches all over my body even when I don't feel anxious. Just recently the twitching has gotten worse and sometimes even my whole neck twitches a little. I also have weird sensations in my feet. It sometimes feels like a numb patch or a pinching feeling that usually lasts a minute or so. About 3-4 times a day I also get a small black spot at a random location in my vision that lasts for a second. It is about 1 square cm in size at about 3 meters distance. I am not sure if this is caused by anxiety, but I have a suspicion it is. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

LauraWoo84
31-03-15, 05:56
I can't stop worrying that I might have multiple sclerosis. I get small twitches all over my body even when I don't feel anxious. Just recently the twitching has gotten worse and sometimes even my whole neck twitches a little. I also have weird sensations in my feet. It sometimes feels like a numb patch or a pinching feeling that usually lasts a minute or so. About 3-4 times a day I also get a small black spot at a random location in my vision that lasts for a second. It is about 1 square cm in size at about 3 meters distance. I am not sure if this is caused by anxiety, but I have a suspicion it is. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

Hi there, I like you have twitching which occurs all over my body, I often get puns and needles in my hands and it's extremely upsetting which I know will not help the muscle twitches. I don't have the small dots in my vision but I can relate to you with the twitching

Emilym80
31-03-15, 12:34
When I get anxiety, I twitch all the time. It's really pretty common.

Conversely, my aunt has MS (don't read on if you think it'll make your fears worse, but basically her symptoms were far more extreme than twitching). She woke up one morning and basically couldn't walk or use her hands and was almost blind, as well as numbness in some parts of her body. I don't even think she had twitching! And she did turn out to have MS; now she takes injections every day an doesn't even have symptoms a vast majority of the time apart from the occasional, mild flare-up.

But regardless of that, twitching is very common with anxiety and not a cause for concern. I find that taking magnesium supplements (chelated), drinking plenty of water and doing at least 30-40 minutes of exercise a day help with twitching and, of course, alleviating the anxiety itself will help in the long run.

Best wishes :)

Edit: I have also had the vision disturbances. I saw an optometrist for them a couple of times (she dilated my pupils etc and had a good look at my eyes) and said they were either due to stress or some muscle tension/irritation I had in my neck at the time. She said that visual disturbances caused by neurological problems tend to appear and last for quite a while, 30 mins for instance.

Serenity1990
01-04-15, 19:10
Since when was twitching an MS symptom?

To paraphrase one of the diagnostic manuals for MS (yes I did used to be that much of a healthphobe, and please don't go searching for these as they'll seriously screw you up), "the presence of fasciculations strongly points away from the possibility of MS".