PDA

View Full Version : Terrified I have Rheumatoid Arthritis - anyone else?

charlottemelrose
01-04-15, 16:42
Has anyone else had stiff ankles and feet in the morning and not had Rheumatoid Arthritis?

I had a baby 8 weeks ago and for a couple of weeks I have had very achy stiff ankles in the morning and when I get up after sitting down. I also developped Carpal Tunnel Syndrome towards the end of my pregnancy which is better but it hasn't gone away. I had an epidural and very swollen ankles after I have birth that have now gone down. I don't have any visible swelling in my joints and they aren't red.

I mentioned it to my GP at my 6 weekly test and she ordered a blood test for Rheumatoid Arthritis. This is not a disease I have worried about in the past. I used to be convinced I had HIV, MS and Schizophrenia among others. I haven't developped any of those conditions in reality, even though I believed I had the symptoms at the time.

It's the fact that Rheumatoid Arthritis is a disease my doctor suggested I am tested for that is really worrying me. A few days after my blood test, a nurse rang to say I was 'borderline' for the Liver Function Test and I have to go back and have another test in 3/4 months time. I don't know what I am borderline for! I asked her if I was clear for all the other tests (including testing for the The Rheumatoid Factor) and she said she thought the rest must be clear, otherwise the doctor wouldn't have asked to call me about repeating the Liver Function Test.

I have visions of me not being able to keep my job, ending up in a wheelchair, losing my hair and not being able to cope.

I'm trying to get to speak to my GP to find out which part of the Liver Function Test was borderline but I can't get an appointment until next week!

This is really scaring me. Anyone else had stiff ankles after pregnancy that weren't arthritis?

PS, to everyone worried about HIV, MS and Schizophrenia - at one time I was convinced I had these conditions but it was 100% definitely health anxiety.

charlottemelrose
02-04-15, 22:44
An update to my post above.

I managed to speak to a doctor today who said none of my tests came back as positive for Rheumatoid Arthritis. She said it's very unlikely I have it or will develop it.

Strangely my symptoms have almost gone away today. I can't believe how convincing symptoms can be and then suddenly disappear! Amazing.

Toronto girl
02-04-15, 23:04
Glad to hear it. I know all these symptoms can be horrifying. I have three knuckles that get tight during the night. I can't bend them for at least a minute in the morning. Ugh!!