PDA

View Full Version : pregabalin started

Sober2000june
01-04-15, 17:31
I picked up my prescription this morning and had 1st 25mg at 10 . 30. Had a few moments upbeat even a bit a giggling at my desk. On train home not so fabby. Think I'llhave my ssecond tab about 8. Here's hoping.

Kind regards,
Paul

lior
01-04-15, 18:21
Good luck Paul!

Sober2000june
01-04-15, 18:59
Many thanks Lior:D

SarahH
01-04-15, 19:07
You'll be fine:Dthe giggly/chatty thing is a side effect that passes in a few days.

Sarah

Logan_Five
01-04-15, 20:52
Hoping to get this when I visit my GP tomorrow, too. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck to you, Paul. :)

Sober2000june
01-04-15, 23:28
Thanks my friend. Take care

hanshan
02-04-15, 08:01
Good luck Paul. You are still on a very low dose, so you can increase it if necessary.

Logan_Five
02-04-15, 11:21
GP has refused to get me on this. Disappointed although she said I need to give the Citalopram more time to kick in.

hanshan
02-04-15, 11:52
Hi Logan,

Sorry to hear about the doctor. I don't know how long you have been taking citalopram, but you should give it enough time to work. If there is no improvement after around eight weeks you can consider alternatives. The benzos are basically short-term stop-gaps.

Logan_Five
02-04-15, 11:59
Hanshan - I think I'm about 5 or 6 weeks into the Citalopram, so hopefully it should start kicking in soon (properly)

Sober2000june
02-04-15, 17:34
Day 2, felt nor too bad again. Now the early evening heeby jeebies. Out a walk with my fiend last felt a bit spaced. To be expected Spose.
Good's luck with the citalopram. Logan 5.
Cool.name, unfortunately all the distopian movies of my childhood seem to be coming to fruition

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

dystopian

bloody phone

Logan_Five
02-04-15, 18:11
Cheers, Sober. :) Best of luck to you as well.

Sober2000june
03-04-15, 08:08
Day 3. Tired, wired, bit spacey. See how day pans out.
Take care folks:hugs:

hanshan
03-04-15, 10:03
Hi Sober2000june,

Stick with it - it's early days yet.

Sober2000june
03-04-15, 20:00
was an angry chappie this evening flying off handle very quickly hope this is just bedding in cus not very calming for the home environment:wacko:.

better take my 2nd 25mg dose.

happy travels folks:hugs:

hanshan
04-04-15, 05:00
A roller-coaster effect of changing mood is common when starting or changing a dose. It can take a while for the dose to level out and the body get used to it.

Sober2000june
05-04-15, 14:11
Day 4 not much too report, still very reactive. Wondering if 50mgper day is going to cut it?
Any hoo, hope everyone enjoying weather.
:hugs:
Paul

hanshan
06-04-15, 04:54
Hi Paul,

If it's your only medication, 50 mg per day is a very low dose. There are people taking less than 100 mg, but usually in conjunction with another medication.

By itself, somewhere in the range 100 mg to 400 mg per day would be usual, with the possibility of going a little higher. If you have had no response at 400 mg, it's probably not going to work, but you seem to have had some response at 50 mg (albeit patchy). I would talk to the doctor about gradually increasing the dose until you find what works for you. As long as you are within the prescription range there is little to worry about abuse potential.

Sober2000june
06-04-15, 19:48
Thanks,

My shrink mentioned starting on 150mg/day. unfortunately the doc on;y gace me 28 25mg so ill have to ask for another script thin ill see about 50mgs this time to get up to 100:).

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Hanshan,

also noticed the half life is on about 6 hrs?

should it be 3 doses per day?

hanshan
07-04-15, 03:13
Ideally it would be three doses a day, especially when starting out or changing the level of a dose. However, in real life, patient compliance with three doses a day tends to be low, so they go for two doses a day.

Remember, half life means that there is half the previous dose still active. If you take pregabalin every twelve hours, it means the previous dose is down to a quarter strength by the time you take the next dose (but there is still some from earlier doses circulating). Also, half life can vary considerably from person to person.

If you think it is doing you some good and side effects aren't problematic, it's probably good to take the psychiatrist's advice and go up to 150 mg per day. Even then, the dose could be increased if necessary. Good luck.

Sober2000june
07-04-15, 20:33
Start 75 mg tomorrow. Mixed feelings about going up as starting to get nausea and headache a bit.
How's everyone?
Peace and serenity, Paul:hugs:

Sober2000june
08-04-15, 10:27
Day 8.
Up at 4am - ibs going bonkers. Nausea starting to getA on nerves a bit. Also give tract issues becoming a pain. Oh and daily Headaches.
Suppose to be on 75 mg today. Starting to have 2nd thoughts. Any encouragement greatly appreciated.
Take care,
Paul
:hugs:

hanshan
08-04-15, 11:59
Day 8 is still early. Give it three to four weeks to settle in.

Sober2000june
08-04-15, 20:22
Thanks again hanshan, just took my 2nd 25mg tab and third will follow this evening. Feeling better than this morning.
Take care

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

really starting to struggle now hope this starts to subside soon as my head is just telling i am not for medication. this is med no 10 in 3.5 yrs so starting to get a bit despondent :weep:.

please, please hope this works.

Sorry for poor me but just sharing my journey.

take care,

Paul

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

calming down a bit now:)

SarahH
08-04-15, 21:04
Keep going Paul:hugs:

Dazza123
08-04-15, 21:17
In the past I have felt euphoric, and literally 10 minutes later wanting to kill someone (not really kill, but you know what I mean) Its an odd medication, but it does work after a while. Your dose is pretty low. I am taking 150mg in the morning and another at night. I feel pretty anxious lately, but it will settle. I do strongly believe that after a while, another medication should be added, like a proper antidepressant if symptoms are anxiety and depression. I will get onto sertraline again at some point, but not yet ready for it.

I get various problems with this medication and its my fourth attempt with them, I have had some amazing panic attacks in the past week or so, but deep down I know I am generally better on them than off them, so I have promised myself I will keep taking them, and told the other half to not let me stop them either unless things take a serious turn for the worst.

Good luck, keep trying and give them a good chance :)

hanshan
09-04-15, 10:12
Combining pregabalin with an antidepressant is a possibility, but it's probably best just to keep on pregabalin alone for the moment and give it a few weeks to settle.

Many of the people posting to NMP are anxious about taking new medications, which can exacerbate side effects, or create anxiety symptoms just by taking something. Mostly, any side effects are temporary, so stay with it, and in a week or two you will be able to decide whether or not it is making a difference.

HunniBee
09-04-15, 10:45
What is pregrablin for? Curious....

HB xx

hanshan
09-04-15, 11:14
Hi HunniBee,

Pregabalin is licensed in the UK for the treatment of Generalised Anxiety disorder.

It reduces the release of excitatory neurotransmitters, and is also to stop certain kinds of nerve pain and as an anticonvulsant.

HunniBee
09-04-15, 12:24
Hi,

Is it any better than Venlaflaxine?

HB xx

unfitwellhappy
09-04-15, 13:14
It's an amazing drug (when it works) - I was at 300mg t/d but then it pooped out... just be careful with Lyrica - it's an absolute nightmare to come off.

hanshan
09-04-15, 13:42
Hi HB,

Re venlafaxine, I can't say - it is just different with a different mode of action, and each person responds differently. Pregabalin is not indicated for depression, and is probably better for continual low-level anxiety rather than panic attacks. However, many people suffer from a mix of these and if pregabalin helps in part it may give the person a chance to deal with the other symptoms.

Dazza123
09-04-15, 16:06
For me HB, as Hanshan says it cuts down continual background anxiety, so gives you a chance to actually live a bit and maybe deal with what is actually going on. It gives your brain a rest. For me personally, it doesnt cut out bigger anxieties, so for that I will go onto sertraline at some point in the future which will hopefully then work together with the Pregabalin and give me a real chance at getting better.

HunniBee
09-04-15, 16:23
Thanks Daz,

For some reason my "flight or fight" response has been triggered for reasons unknown to me and it just doesn't let me be. I'm constantly anxious and I mean constantly, from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep (if I manage too) and I just cannot seem to get rid of it. There's no dangers in my life to set this off....things are actually really good but I cannot seem to enjoy life as I'm constantly in a state of sheer panic and my whole body is tense.

HB xx

Sober2000june
10-04-15, 08:11
Day 10. Still plodding along. Bowels not playing ball again so had to go to sleep feeling heavy and bloated. Hoping today for better gi mobility:) spoke to gp on wed over phone, plan is 3 25mg fir a week then 50mg am, and 2x 25mg through day.
Take care follow travellers:hugs:
Paul

SarahH
10-04-15, 12:36
Yeah the bowels thing happened to me:blush:. Try a laxative every couple of days, the once you have a routine eat bran flakes every day.

Sarah

Sober2000june
11-04-15, 22:35
Day 11 much same wake up feeling not too bad. Quite agitated tho. Hopefully going to settle oh and better get some su relax tommorow:blush:

Sober2000june
13-04-15, 19:26
day 13 still major agitation. definitely feel positive when i waken up but it doesn't last long. Also hope the headaches subside.

anyhoo, onwards and upwards:)

Dazza123
13-04-15, 19:54
I had major agitation for a while, but it did pass, though I was snapping a lot at everyone around me. Also had the headaches, but all passed after a short while. Great that you are feeling more positive, if only for a short while. Hopefully that will increase as time passes.

As you say, onwards and upwards, it will get better :)

Hipha
13-04-15, 22:53
Thought I would chip in with my experience of pregabalin. I have persistent nausea which is caused by generalised anxiety although no firm diagnosis. I take 30mg of Mirtazapine which was aimed at increasing my mood and to help my anxiety. It has failed to help so far after 4 months. Introduced pregabalin 7 days ago. Started with 75mg with breakfast and thought I would steam ahead and take 75mg after lunch. Too much. Headaches and a stoned feeling so I reverted back to single 75mg with breakfast. Side effects have decreased so have taken the 2nd dose with lunch and so far so good after 2 days. Don't feel any benefit with anxiety symptoms yet but fellow contributors on here have suggested a minimum of 300mg per day to aid anxiety. Will increase dose each week hoping that I will get some relief from nausea soon. Good luck and love to you all

hanshan
14-04-15, 11:18
Hi Hipha,

100 mg to 400 mg per day is the standard therapeutic range for pregabalin - some people are okay with less, others need more.

Basically, you need to get into this range for a few weeks to decide if it is helpful. This can be difficult if there are also start-up side-effects, but it is worth persisting.

Hipha
14-04-15, 11:32
Thank you Hanshan. I have read many posts on this and other forums where doses of greater than 400mg provided the required benefit even up to and including the maximum dose of 600mg per day. Is this not your understanding and / or experience? One question I have is can Pregabalin be used for non GAD anxiety? I believe that I have GAD but am also now going through a stressful situation with my son (refusing to go to school) which is making me feel stressed and anxious which I think most people would feel under the same circumstances. So can Pregabalin be used to treat anxiety where there is a stressful situation underlying?

SmilingAlbert
14-04-15, 22:16
In a word YES, in my experience.

Anxiety is anxiety, wherever it comes from - GAD, which to cut a long story short, might have many reasons or none, or stress, which is usually associated with 'environmental' factors (family/work problems, etc.).

As Hanshan has said many times, anxiety is an entirely natural occasional state for all humanity. It's when it becomes chronic, as apparently in your case (and previously mine) that it needs dealing with.

It score 8.2 here for 'GAD', a pretty good score for this type of medication

http://www.drugs.com/comments/pregabalin/

With any luck, all you need is to find the right dose and you'll be there.

Best

Albert

hanshan
15-04-15, 07:09
Hi Hipha,

It's mostly in the 100 mg to 400 mg range that if there is going to be a positive effect, it will be seen to some degree. From there the dose can be adjusted up or down as necessary for optimum effect (and some people respond best at lower or higher doses).

In my experience, pregabalin helps stop or greatly reduce undue anxiety from the stresses of everyday life, but it's not a cure-all that stops all anxiety. I ask myself "Would an ordinary person be stressed or anxious about this, to around the same degree as I am?". If the answer is yes, then I can't expect pregabalin to stop that anxiety.

But if the answer is "No, ordinary people just don't worry about these things continually to the extent that I do" - that is where I have found pregabalin helpful in stopping the anxiety.

Best of luck with it - it has helped me a lot to get on with life.

Sober2000june
15-04-15, 20:00
Hi hanshan , funny you mention 100 to 400 mg - I started my 100 mg dose today. Hoping things will improve. Still quite agitated. Felt like wanting to scream Iinside my head this afternoon. Had to go for walks. Not good in an open plan office. When I have to focus it just makes me feel trapped. Anyway onwards and upwards.
Take care,
Paul

hanshan
16-04-15, 04:37
Hi Paul,

Good luck with the new dose. What you describe is definitely not at the "ordinary person" level if you are experiencing it every day and the office environment is nothing unusual (unfortunately, offices can get toxic from time to time and have even ordinary people silently screaming!)

Sober2000june
16-04-15, 20:54
Thanks hanshan. I think that's the catch 22 for me. My head can't focus on any constructive work for long enough then the anxiety and depression kick in as I find it do hard to do what others in the office do- concentrate. Anyway time will tell with the pregabalin. Tbh starting to think it's going to be another pharmacological smack in the chops. Listening to my own thread it seems like depress setting in. Who knows just having a bit of a mind fart.

All the best,
Paul

hanshan
17-04-15, 02:49
Hi Paul,

Do persist for a while in the 100 - 400 mg range. If you get up to a week or so at 400 mg and it's still not working, then it's probably not for you. However, it would be wrong to stop taking it before then and never really know. I actually find that now I am used to it, it actually helps me to concentrate because I don't have to deal with anxiety.

SarahH
17-04-15, 09:38
hanshan makes a very good point (as always):) Many people give up on this drug before giving a good go at the "therapeutic" levels. My psych told me that can be anywhere between 225mgs and 400mgs. I agree that getting to 400mgs and it does not work then it probably won't. 100mgs a day is not high enough to take the gremlins.

Sarah

Sober2000june
17-04-15, 14:33
Thanks Sarah and hanshan:hugs:
should be going up to 125 on wed.

Hipha
17-04-15, 17:53
I am on the same journey as you Paul. Currently on 75mg twice a day about to increase to 150mg + 75mg tomorrow.. Seems a big jump so will let you know how I go. So far no noticeable benefit for anxiety from pregabalin. Side effects are headaches and light headed. Also had a mini panic attack last night which was a new experience for me. Terrifying at the time. Keep going Paul; hopefully at least one of us will get some relief from this awful illness soon.

Sober2000june
18-04-15, 08:54
I wishwish you well:)

hanshan
18-04-15, 10:43
Good luck Hipha and Paul with your increased doses.

Sober2000june
18-04-15, 22:44
Wonder if the agitation will ever pass on this med. Really not a good person to be around constantly kicking off at family. Can't focus at all at work. All I can see is the negatives of this. Sorry Bout the poor me but this is so hard.

hanshan
19-04-15, 03:12
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about the agitation, but stick with it - there is a good chance your body will adjust if you let it. I had several side effects at first (dizziness, dry mouth, lack of coordination), but they all passed in time. At the moment you are still only at about two and a half weeks, which is quite early. Are you still at 100 mg? This is just threshold for having any positive effect (one study found no positive effect at 100 mg), so don't be afraid to increase the dose up to 400 mg. It may actually reverse the agitation you are feeling and make you calmer.

Sober2000june
19-04-15, 11:36
Yes Hanshan, still at 100mg. go up to 125 on wed

hanshan
19-04-15, 12:00
Hi Paul,

I understand your previous issues with alcohol, but I would be more inclined to go straight up to 200 mg, and then to 400 mg. I can't say the effect on your side effects, except that there is a chance they may go down as well as up.

Sober2000june
20-04-15, 15:51
I took 50 at 830 am and had Another 50mg at 2pm. It'd kicking like a mule now. Think I'm in for one he'll of an aft. Feel like someone rummaging around my brain and my eyes don't feel like mine

Hipha
20-04-15, 21:08
Good description and exactly how I feel. Still have anxious symptoms but now have headache, dizziness and generally feel stoned. Your experience and reaction to pregabalin is nasty especially considering you are taking a small dose. Stick with it as we are reassured that side effects will decrease over time. Just hope Pregablin at higher dose gives relief of anxiety otherwise no point in continuing. I have been on 225mg for 3 days and no relief of nausea and other anxiety symptoms.

Sober2000june
20-04-15, 23:20
We'll just have to keep crossing of the days Hipha:)

Sober2000june
21-04-15, 10:27
think ill take my other 50mg this evening. yesterday i had 100mg within 6hrs so that was :scared15:.
wondering when the being able to focus will come:whistles:.

hows everyone?

Paul

hanshan
21-04-15, 11:18
Unfortunately, the start-up time for psychoactive medications is four to eight weeks, so potentially up to another five weeks.

We have got so used to thinking that a pill will have an instantaneous positive effect, but these meds are making major changes in how the brain functions - it takes time.

Think of it as a household renovation - how long would you be prepared to put up with the disruption?

Sober2000june
21-04-15, 20:32
Thanksforthefeedback hanshan, just I'vebeengoing up and down the titration game since sept 2011 and starting to wonder if... in the words of my new nhs shrink "not sure if I can do anything for you". The mid afternoon jeebies are unbearable. It's just that I have been on 10 different meds all taking me in various direcations down the rabbit hole. Many of which, if it was not for my 3 hildren I would have chosen the only sensible option to me. Any hoo, I've suffered this for over 3 and a half years and to a greater extent, 22 yrs what's another few weeks:)
Take care

Hipha
21-04-15, 21:41
I empathise with you Paul. I have also been on the AD Meds roller coaster although for 8 months only. Have felt no benefit from any drug apart from Diazepam which zapped the nausea within 24 hours. I think it is important to try and give each drug a fair chance to work and this means hoping for a good outcome. I had assumed that effects and benefits of pregabalin would be felt within a few days as others on this board and drugs.com had stated this. One thing is consistent and that is the minimum dose for anxiety relief is 100mg so you are just opening the door. I have no idea how long I should persist with pregabalin. Current experience of 150+75 after 4 days is stoned, fatigued, dizzy and still nauseous. Surely I should feel some benefit on 225 soon?

Sober2000june
21-04-15, 23:24
Fingers crossedforyou.

hanshan
22-04-15, 03:11
Hi Hipha,

The stoned / fatigued / dizzy feeling should pass. I can't say how long it will take, but for me it was tolerable in about two weeks, and slowly subsided from there literally over months. Fortunately, I did feel benefits for anxiety almost immediately. I can't remember how quickly I increased the dose (it was just over four years ago), but my vague memory of it is that I went up to the maximum dose of 600 mg per day fairly fast, within a couple of weeks. I have been on that dose ever since, and don't feel any urge to change it either up or down.

Sober2000june
22-04-15, 10:51
How you feelingtoday Hipha?
Take care,
Paul

Hipha
22-04-15, 11:44
In one word 'awful'. Have a anxious sickly feeling and feel fatigued and dizzy. Had this upon waking and has grown through the morning. I do have a lot going on in my personal life including mental health illness of my son which is preventing him for attending school and being off work for almost 9 months. I have coped with this situation so far and am hoping pregabalin can help calm me. The adrenal glands have a critical role to play in how we all feel and I suspect that mine are exhausted. Will be asking for a test to establish if my adrenals are not functioning properly. For now I will continue with pregabalin and review on Saturday which will be one week on 225. How are you feeling today Paul?

Sober2000june
22-04-15, 17:02
I can identify completely, My eldest son developed full blown ocd early last summer and got to the stage of being like howard hughes. Camhs were an absolute joke
We waited absolute months to get an appointment. My wife called once to get appointment moved forward as my son was talking about drinking bleach cos he thought he'd swallowed something dirty.camhs responce..."unless he attempts suicide, it wont be brought forward." The clincal psychologist he eventually saw was useless and could not diagnose a chicken crossing the road. He has the hands of a 90 year old with his ritualistic wpsychiatrists ticouldnt even correlate he's gettingt to his ilness. Only when an out of hours doc came and saw him and escalated he had a psychiatrist within days. Now psychiatrist comes steaming earlierying he's getting medicated to the eyeballs and we have no say in it. meanwhile same clincal psychologist who sent him away for anothhospitalised hoit(only days earlier) sits at same meeting looking at her feet. So within a few days we've gone from what's the problem to hes beyond cbt and needs hospitalised. We never gave into the knee her decision that was made and postponed the ssri. He has been getting a bit betteadministratoromeopathic and would definitely benefits from cbt. We are still waiting to get another psychologist as understadibly we don't want the same team whos head apologise and gave excuse that theywwere only starting that team up. It's great they used my son for a leasons learned training exercise.
apart from that all good.

Take caremyfriend

Hipha
22-04-15, 22:07
Wow that is a sad story. Must have been (and still is?) very traumatic for you and your family. My son also has OCD related to germs with an obsession that he might infect people with germs from his body fluids. Anxiety has been an issue for several years but he was able hide it from us until recently. Think my illness and the stress of seeing me in a bad state was the straw that broke the camels back. Our experience of CAMHS has been different to yours. The staff are working very hard with limited resources. We see a family therapist once every 2 weeks and our son sees a therapist weekly. Not enough but slow progress being made. No psychologist assigned and the psychiatrist who prescribed meds has handed his notice in! Whilst resources are stretched to the limit, my sons experience of mental health CARE is completely different to mine where I have had no help at all apart from 2 brief 30 minutes sessions with a psychiatrist. Anyway I had a better afternoon today. Did not take my afternoon dose until 6:30pm which might explain? Hoping that my body will get used to Pregablin soon and my anxiety symptoms will ease. Hope you are ok Paul. My name is Paul just to confuse!

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-15, 05:43
My wife called once to get appointment moved forward as my son was talking about drinking bleach cos he thought he'd swallowed something dirty.camhs responce..."unless he attempts suicide, it wont be brought forward."

Thats ludicrous! What kind of a message does that send out? I'm just glad it was not your son they were speaking to. I would have thought that someone, especially a minor, talking about drinking bleach would be enough to get something moving.

Its all rather sad. There are people on here who have attempted suicide and were admitted to then be released with little or no support a matter of days later.

It always amazes me because if yuo break your leg, you have a physio appointment pretty quick for obvious reasons. Start down the mental health problem path and they are unwilling to intercept things at the point they are more easily treated at.

Sober2000june
23-04-15, 11:06
Small world Paul:)
here's hopingfor a better day today.

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 ----------

Just saw this and describes how i feelto a tee. You're suffering from major depression with atypical features. This type of depression isn't your normal "blue," sad, melancholic depression; it's far more insidious and elusive. You may not even feel sad, but you likely (as you've reported) will feel empty, numb, disconnected, and apathetic. You experience anhedonia--the inability to experience pleasure or interest in things you once enjoyed (examples: your cousin's picture, your inability to enjoy watching movies, and finding nothing entertaining). You also experience increased sleep, or propensity for said, versus the insomnia typical of melancholic depression. Your appetite is likely not reduced, but may be increased with occasional, possibly intense carb/sugar cravings. Your mood may very well worsen at night, and it's probably somewhat reactive to external events--e.g. hypersensitive (more than usual) to criticism, conflict, rejection, and other negative interactions, and experiencing a mood lift to some degree after or in anticipation of a party, getting a new job, socializing, etc. You have no energy, and your arms and legs might feel leaden, heavy, and fatigued. The idea of doing anything besides sitting at the computer or TV seems overwhelming, because you possess seemingly not one ounce of energy or motivation. You feel like you're just going through the motions and feel little purpose or meaning in your life. But mainly, as you state, you just want to sleep all these problems away, and sleep forever. How many of these things are true for you? I'm sure many or most. I too have the same type of depression, as I suspect most people with social phobia do (if they have depression). The symptomatology of atypical depression is identical to the most common manifestation of bipolar depression, and there is likely a link between them (they may actually be one in the same). Social phobia and atypical/bipolar depression both involve high amounts of dopaminergic dysregulation, explaining the lack of energy, vitality, motivation, interest, and pleasure. Melancholic depression does often involve anhedonia, but it's more because of the underlying sad and hopeless mood than because of a lack of dopamine (although since the serotonin and dopamine monoamines are inextricably linked and complement each other, one doesn't changing without the other changing). Atypical depression is actually oftentimes more severe than melancholic depression and responds better to MAOIs like Nardil or Parnate (or selegiline, or EMSAM), which have more of a dopaminergic effect. Do these ring a bell? That's because social phobia responds best to these, too (as does bipolar depression, when accompanied by a mood stabilizer). As of yesterday, I've been taking a special formulation of St. John's Wort called Perika proven to have similar efficacy and far lower side effects (and higher rates of remission!) than Paxil and similar SSRIs. More importantly, it has significant dopaminergic, GABAergic, and noradernergic qualities that are likely more important to us atypical depressives than serotonergic activity. I'm also taking 500mg of l-tyrosine (this might not be enough). It's too early to say whether it's working (like SSRIs, often takes 3-6 weeks to really work), but I've read about it working for atypical depression, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You can buy it at Whole Foods, online, or at any health foods store. Make sure you get Perika (or Kira, or SC27, but I've heard Perika is best), and not just any St. John's Wort--there are differences between them. Take one pill each with three meals (900mg per day), and you can try supplementing with tyrosine or DLPA for neurotransmitter support. Anyway, this form of depression is particularly awful and none of us should have to suffer like this. I'd really recommend becoming proactive to defeat it, starting with the recommendations I've made and making sure you're getting enough B vitamins (B-complex), magnesium, and others. This is a chronic condition and requires constant management, unfortunately, and you can either choose to immediately go the prescribed psychotropic route or try and minimize your need for those drugs by taking steps to improve your condition yourself..."

Hipha
23-04-15, 11:30
Hi Paul

Not sure who you are responding and referring to?

What your message does tell me is tag at you are way ahead of me in the understanding of depression. Your descriptions further enforce my belief that I have had and still have some form of depression but that my main illness is anxiety based.

Paul

hanshan
23-04-15, 12:45
We are still in very early days understanding these illnesses, so terms like depression and atypical depression have to be taken fairly loosely. Almost certainly they will change as understanding develops over time. Over the past hundred years, the terms neurasthenia, psychoneurosis and neurosis have been used, but are not heard today.

Until we understand how these illnesses work, any form of medication is trial and error. The alternative to medication is some form of talk therapy - there are no miracle cures.

Sober2000june
23-04-15, 13:14
Hi Paul,

Just saw it inaother site this moring and most of it describes me to a tee. The opening quotes are missing from "You're suffering...

Not responding to anyone I just felt it described what i am and have been going through since 1993. I feel constantly exhausted, unmotivated, absolutely zero concentration andf i believe this gives me more anxiety that anything ie. not another day of numb unfulfiling treacle to swim through. just starting to get, xconcerned that the pregabalin is slowing me down even further.

just finding it hard to stay positive, but i'll just keep crossing those days of the calendar until i get there.

have a good day folks:hugs:

Sober2000june
24-04-15, 16:03
Bit better today. Even a bit high in office:)
how are today Paul?

Hipha
24-04-15, 20:27
Glad to hear you have had a good day. Try and build some momentum going forward. Who knows pregabalin might just be the drug for you. I have felt sickly all day today so losing hope for this drug for me. Strange but don't feel particularly anxious but have anxious sickly feeling. No drug has made any difference to my nausea; can't help but feel that there is some underlying physical problem. Will see this trial on pregabalin to its conclusion. Have started taking pregabalin on an evening after dinner and will increase to 300mg from Monday.

Sober2000june
25-04-15, 20:49
Hope my mood start to lift soon. Just realised that in three weeks, have gone from watching the 100 with wife to now absolute no interest. May have to give up on this one :(

cristine
26-04-15, 03:37
UnEur Neuropsychopharmacol.*2008 Jun;18(6):422-30. doi: 10.1016/j.euroneuro.2008.01.004. Epub 2008 Mar 21.

Efficacy of pregabalin in depressive symptoms associated with generalized anxiety disorder: a pooled analysis of 6 studies.

Stein DJ1,*Baldwin DS,*Baldinetti F,*Mandel F.

Author information

Abstract

Epidemiological evidence supports comorbidity of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and major depressive disorder (MDD) or dysthymia, and its association with significant disability. As pregabalin, a new alpha(2)-delta anxiolytic treatment for GAD, unlike most other licensed treatments for GAD has not undergone investigation in patients with MDD, we examined its efficacy in depressive symptoms associated with GAD, through a post-hoc analysis of the existing clinical trial database. The results provide consistent evidence that in patients with GAD pregabalin reduced associated symptoms of depression. This was seen in the 150 mg/day, 300-450 mg/day and 600 mg/day dosing groups. Even in subjects with more prominent depressive symptoms, pregabalin remained effective for both sub-syndromal depression and GAD symptoms, with pregabalin 300-450 mg/day demonstrating the most beneficial response. In conclusion, pregabalin, an alternative treatment option for GAD with a novel mechanism of action, also demonstrated efficacy in treating depressive symptoms typically encountered in GAD patients.
QUOTE=hanshan;1411298]Hi HB,

Re venlafaxine, I can't say - it is just different with a different mode of action, and each person responds differently. Pregabalin is not indicated for depression, and is probably better for continual low-level anxiety rather than panic attacks. However, many people suffer from a mix of these and if pregabalin helps in part it may give the person a chance to deal with the other symptoms.[/QUOTE]

Hi hanshan- agreed pregabalin is not indicated for depression however I found this article thought it of use/interest ? but not sure where to post it :blush: but I know you will !:winks:

hanshan
27-04-15, 03:05
Hi Cristine,

Thanks for that article. It's fine where it is for the moment - it might be an idea to put the results of different studies together where people can easily locate and read them.

It's important to note that people who publish studies were either looking for a positive or negative result according to their own predilections. If they don't find what they are looking for, they tend not to publish!

Nevertheless, this study is good news for people who have both GAD and depression - if you take it for GAD there is a good chance it will help your depression as well.

Another point is that most benefit was in the 300 - 450 mg per day range. It's important not to give up on pregabalin until you have at least had a try at that level for a couple of weeks.

Hipha
27-04-15, 08:31
Interesting article. I suspect most folk will have depressive symptoms as a result of having anxiety / GAD so this gives hope. I fear that I am one of the unlucky people who do not gain any relief from pregabalin. I have been on 225mg for 9 days and have not had any relief for my anxiety symptoms and actually feel worse in the past few days. I am holding out hope that I will see benefit once I get to 300mg which starts tomorrow. Surely I would feel some positive change on the lower dose? Only change I can feel is heartburn and acid in my throat. Will keep going with this

hanshan
27-04-15, 11:26
Hello Hipha,

I agree that you should have seen at least limited improvement around the 200 mg per day mark, but it is still worth trying 400 mg per day for two weeks or so. If you are inching up via 300 mg per day, again it would be encouraging to have some improvement at that level. Good luck with it.

Sober2000june
27-04-15, 11:51
Like you Paul, I think I'll give at another dose increase tommorow. Tbh anxiety has been possibly lower but also to a greater extent has my cognitive function. I'm an engineer, and the thought if checking a document or even reading it is practically beyond me. Hopefully things will take a turn in the right direction for both of us soon:)
one day a time my friend

Hipha
27-04-15, 12:49
I am hoping that my experience is different to others who have benefited from pregabalin where the majority have felt some benefit within days even at lower doses. Trying to stay positive. It will be difficult to continue beyond 300mg if I do not feel any relief. I see my GP this pm and want to explore how my adrenals are functioning as they are a critical part of our general physical and mental health and are often overlooked. My symptoms are physical and seem to tie in with adrenal stress with early symptoms (20 months ago) being coffee dependency, alcohol intolerance, fatigue and negativity. I have read that if your adrenals are unable to produce enough cortisol when the body demands it, the body then pumps adrenaline to try and compensate leading to anxiety, stress and physical symptoms like fatigue and nausea. Feel like I need to find 'the answer' myself as nobody else is looking. Paul - I have looked through this thread but there is no summary of your condition and symptoms. Anxiety I see; anything else?

Sober2000june
27-04-15, 14:01
Just anxiety and depression. Can all go back to 92' when I had glandular fewer.
recently had my thyroid checked and it was "normal". So like you some more time on this and we'll see

Hipha
27-04-15, 14:07
Yes I really fear the 'normal' result as crazy as it seems. Glandular fever is a real and common root cause of many ailments. My wife had chronic fatigue syndrome for 5 years which was kicked off by GF. She was lucky and recovered completely. Look into adrenal insufficiency; it is a growing issue related to stress.

hanshan
28-04-15, 11:05
Don't give up guys - give it a shot. If after two weeks at 400 mg it's still not working, you can probably say it's not the medication for you.

Sober2000june
28-04-15, 12:06
Took my 1st lot of 75 mg this morning and getting a bit done in office. Not brill but not bad. I will take my other 75 this eve. Was going to do it in 3 x 50 but the afternoon dose sends me to hades.
How's the other Paul today?
thanks for the encouragement hanshan:)
onwards and upwards:D

Hipha
28-04-15, 12:38
Hello. Thanks for your wise words and encouragement Hanshan. I visited my GP yesterday and discussed many topics. Pregabalin can cause GERD due to its muscle relaxant properties and so I am now taking Lanzoprazole 15mg to control that. Not a nice side effect but hopefully will ease soon. Increased Pregabalin dose to 300mg (200mg morning and 100mg after dinner) and will consider increasing to 400mg but will need to see some evidence of relief of nausea. Also discussed adrenal health and she agreed that my symptoms indicate a level of adrenal stress and so referred me to an endocrinology consultant. Who knows may be another dead end but I feel something underlying physical issue is at the root of my symptoms. Keep going Paul. I did not appreciate the strength of this drug and it's side effects but they do seem to ease. You are still on a low dose so if your anxiety is easing even a small amount then you may have finally found something to give relief. Jury is out for me

Sober2000june
30-04-15, 11:51
Hope you're better today Paul:)
last 2 days on 150mg i have been able to concentrate a bit better at work. Even upbeat at times.
Today back to being a bit slow. Hoping this ll pass. Cys when i get like this my head starts to go down the negatives thought pattern. On another positive i have cut the aft dose as that was just making for a horrible evening.
Any hoo hope all are doing well:hugs:
Paul

hanshan
01-05-15, 09:44
Hi Paul (Sober2000),

Good to hear you have had some more upbeat days, and sorry to hear that there was a down one. I hope it passes quickly. Do experiment with dose levels and times when you take pregabalin - it can make a big difference in conjunction with natural body rhythms.

Hipha
02-05-15, 21:49
Hello

Thought that I would update on progress. Taking 200mg after breakfast and 100mg after evening meal. Not sure if I am making any progress on Pregablin. Feel stoned from late morning and acid reflux is increasing. If I keeps busy I feel ok. Confused by my symptoms and feelings as I feel like I am making progress but then crash today with nausea all afternoon. Seems I can handle stressful situations like selling my car to some guy who answers an advert and then the following day buying a replacement car and haggling with the salesman and then doing the deal. Felt great and filled both days with activity. Felt like pregabalin was doing something under the bonnet. Then today woke feeling ok but then when driving to see my football team in a big game, nausea started to build!? Did not feel anxious just pumped up for the game. We won got promoted felt happy but still sickly. Will take 200mg on an evening soon but if no improvement within 1 week then sadly goodbye to Pregablin. Venaflaxine or fluoxetine next??

Sober2000june
05-05-15, 09:56
Hi Paul hope you are getting a bit better. I see my consultant tomorrow amd not sure where it'll go. Agitation really becoming an issue. Shouting and swearing at family not good once I start it's like a runaway train.
All u know is I cannot keep this level of anger and aggressive behaviour. My eldest who has severe ocd is getting the brunt of it.
oh and the apathy not making for a very productive Paul.

Ah well, onwards and upwards they say.
hope everyone doing better. :hugs:
Paul

Hipha
05-05-15, 11:55
Sad to hear that you are struggling Paul. I can't offer any experience with agitation and anger as I am quite calm. Pregabalin has not changed this. I am now taking 200mg before bed to see if that helps with morning anxious symptoms. I do feel slightly better with this approach . Feel like pregabalin takes several hours to take effect especially when taken with food so perhaps taking on evening means a more restful sleep and less anxious morning. I do feel more comfortable when waking and find it easier to stay in bed and go back to sleep which has not happened for years. I am considering increasing to 300mg before bed. Hoping Hanshan can offer some wisdom on this as I know he takes his entire dose before bed. Hope you have a constructive session with your consultant. From what I have read it is rare for anxiety to be eased on doses less than 300mg so if you can tolerate it keep going and increasing dose. However you know your mind-body . Let us know how you get on.

Sober2000june
05-05-15, 12:08
That's great you're getting a bit of respite Paul:)
My head is all over the place again, thinking what to do next.
Ah! the joys of mental ilness.

Hipha
05-05-15, 12:44
Hello Paul. Symptoms still build over the morning. Having more situations where I feel panic. I am on a train at the moment and after having a brief dizzy spell before boarding now feel light headed and so tired. Felt panicky feeling as I got on train so closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing which helped. Not sure if using pregabalin and panic feelings are connected but did not feel like this beforehand. At least I am now recognising my symptoms and feelings more now just wish that the meduc community would spend some time looking at me rather than throwing me a packet of drugs. Sometimes feel that having a diagnosis of stress, depression or anxiety is a convenient diagnosis for primary health medics as it gives them an excuse to ignore the patient. I have real stress on a daily basis with my son descending into an anxious shadow of his former self. Long for the day where we are both happy again. Love to you all

Sober2000june
05-05-15, 22:42
I feel your pain my friend. We'll get there:hugs:

Hipha
07-05-15, 19:13
Hello all

Fear that I am going the same way as Paul. After a good day yesterday, today I have felt anxious and generally unwell. Lot going on in my life with my son and his OCD illness becoming worse. I seemed to have dealt with this situation quite well up until now but today big backward step. Not sure that Pregabalin is helping with my anxiety at all and if anything I think I am worse for starting it. Maybe Pregabalin is useful for relieving background / GAD type anxiety but not for real life stressful situations that anybody would feel anxious about. Think this is the way it is described by a few experienced members on here. Surely after 4 weeks and within this 10 days on 300mg I would feel some lasting benefit and calm? Will take 200mg tonight before bed as I have for last 5 days but if tomorrow shows no benefit then back to the drawing board for me also.