PDA

View Full Version : i rarely leave the house

ClaireLawson97
02-04-15, 20:22
I've suffered from panic attacks for about 10 months now - things have been hard. I was in my last year at school when they started and didn't understand them at first. I have since then left school and struggle on a daily bases.
The panic seems to build up inside me until i go to leave -i break down. I begin to shake, cry and feel extremely faint/sick.I didn't understand them at first and refused to tell anyone what was going on. I managed to keep it to myself for 6 months until i finally broke down and needed help. It gets so bad that i refuse to leave the house. I don't know what to do anymore. No one else seems to understand and things have been very difficult with the people who don't understand what it's like.
I'm on medication now which does seem to help but things are still too much.

I'm really struggling:(

PanicAttackGurl
02-04-15, 20:27
Have you tried the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy book available on this forum under therapy? It really helps.

ClaireLawson97
02-04-15, 21:01
No I haven't but will give it a read.

Thank you - willing to try anything to help.

H.Daniel
04-04-15, 18:09
Hi,

This problem will persist as long as you have such a fear of panic attacks that you get tricked into treating them as a danger, and relying on safety behaviors in an effort to avoid panic attacks.

So the road to recovery starts with learning how to manage panic attacks.

This is actually a very treatable problem. However, many people find it very difficult to overcome.

This is generally because they think the way out is to first find a way to get rid of their fears, and then re-enter the situations they have come to avoid.

First you need practice handling the fear, and that means practicing in the actual phobic situation. It's there you can become confident in your ability to cope, and it's there that you will lose your fear.

This kind of treatment is usually called exposure treatment, and it's considered the most effective treatment available for panic attacks.

This is a part of CBT therapy which is very effective.

Take care!