PDA

View Full Version : Safety behaviours

PamG
02-04-15, 20:33
Hi all, not been on for a wee while as I had a good spell there. Back at it again now. I have been seeing my psychologist every 1 to 2 weeks and she has asked me to think about what safety behaviours I have that are possibly reinforcing my anxiety and panic. I was just interested to see if anyone else has had to think of their safety behaviours and list them, and was this helpful. I was able to list 4 that I know I do regularly, and over the week I have found a couple more that I didn't realise I did. I am slowly working on one of the 'easy' ones to change, but a few of the other really do feel like life or death to me. Does anyone else feel like this? My regular safety behaviours include: carrying diazepam where ever I go, always being closest to, or knowing where the closest exit is, carrying stemetil wherever I go incase I am sick, and not making plans concrete (always saying 'I should be there' or 'I could do that', incase I make plans then I am too sick/anxious to go). Just looking to see if anyone else deals with these behaviours and how they got past it/if they got passed it.

PanicAttackGurl
05-04-15, 05:53
I have a few safety behaviors myself. Probably more than I know of. First is my bottle of water, my anxiety meds, my cell phone, my keys with mace on keychain, a change of clothes in my purse. I cannot leave home without any of the items. The water bottle started last year in May. Gum, I also have to have gum too.

Strange that I just realized the gum as a safety object/behavior.

I haven't been asked to change/modify these yet. Maybe I should try to see what would happen. Let me know how you do. I'll try leaving my gum at home next time I go out.