PDA

View Full Version : what you should know about anxiety

HauntMuskie
03-04-15, 10:12
Anxiety is something that affects a lot of people. It may sound scary, but it's NOT fatal. now here are some things anxiety can do.

Pain: anxiety can cause: Chest, collarbone, neck, stomach, back and head aches.

Emotional symptoms: stress (anger), sadness, fear, mood swings, and sometimes even going a bit crazy.

Other symptoms: shaking, twitching, feeling tired, hallucinations, sleep problems, negative thoughts, less interest in your favourite activities and heartburn.

Here is one other weird thing anxiety can do: focusing on your symptoms makes them WORSE.

And remember, it's ok to have anxiety! in fact, lots of people have anxiety! just be strong, and believe you can fight it :)

Logan_Five
03-04-15, 11:11
This is very true - focusing on what's wrong just winds me up even further. Thoughts racing away, etc.

Relaxation exercises come in handy, as does meds for when things get a bit too bad.

Crystalhiggs
03-04-15, 11:21
I'm reading a book called 'the Panic Switch'. It's very good - teaches you how to basically say to your anxiety 'ok, I give up, do what you will to me'. You can no longer make it worse and it stops. I haven't had a full on panic attack so have no proof on that score but if I start to feel shaky I basically give myself up to it and will it on. It really does stop (after a minute it so)! But you have to truly give into it. Reverse psychology!

Main thing - it wont kill you! :)

And distraction is always a good thing although I hate the 'remembering moment'. That sucks.

Happy Good Friday peeps x

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

Ps that's not the same as focussing on your symptoms its addressing the moment of panic!