PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety over asthma symptoms and side effects from inhaler

snowflake293
03-04-15, 14:12
Hi all

Having a much better week with my HA but my asthma has been bad due to a virus I've had and now I am panicking thinking 'is it cause of the virus or is it sommat worse?!'

For the past 3 weeks I have had a cough/sore throat... worse in mornings and evenings and pain when swallowing (usually only on left side) and very swollen feeling tender glands in neck. It has come and gone, feels like one of those viruses that is hard to shake. Other half started with it first and he is over it now but it is clinging onto me.

It has made my asthma flare up and I am coughing lots and needing to take my inhaler lots and this is worrying me now. I am worried it isn't a virus, but something more serious! I had a nasal endoscopy (camera up nose) earlier in the week and it went right down to my vocal chords, surely if something was wrong they would have noticed?

Anyway I am freaking out and my asthma feels terrible, has anyone found anxiety makes their asthma worse? Also I am having to take my reliever so much it is giving me shakes.

Any advice anyone?

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 05:40
Yes, anxiety can make your asthma worse and vice versa.

The fact that you have had a virus and tender glands points towards an infection. In asthma sufferers these can take longer and need a course of antibiotics. My GP years ago told me if you are coughing up yellow mucus, then come to see them because it will need antibiotics.

Asthma is inflammation, anxiety is about inflammation too. Create more mucus and the asthma can feel worse until it passes, which is something you can often feel as an asthma sufferer and it comes & goes.

My advice, as an asthma sufferer of about 30 years now, would be to monitor it and see your GP. Its very unlikely to be something else and I think deep down you know this, but with asthma its something to check with a GP when it comes to infections as they tend to need a helping hand. If you have more severe asthma, definately talk to a GP about these issues.

Emilym80
06-04-15, 08:23
Anxiety makes my asthma much worse. If you're using it that much, try and cut back as it doesn't sound like it's being too helpful (unless you really need it).

Are you on a preventer? What are you worried that it might be? Before my anxiety got bad I hardly even had asthma; this year it was so much worse that I had to go on a preventer for the first time since I was about 8.

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 09:06
Anxiety makes my asthma much worse. If you're using it that much, try and cut back as it doesn't sound like it's being too helpful (unless you really need it).

Are you on a preventer? What are you worried that it might be? Before my anxiety got bad I hardly even had asthma; this year it was so much worse that I had to go on a preventer for the first time since I was about 8.

Same here, Emily. I stopped using my inhalers as I didn't think they were doing much and I went years without them. About 3 months into going off work with anxiety I had what I thought was my second panic attack and I used my reliever which took it off quickly.

I started using my preventer again from that day.

I reckon its muscle tension that plays a big part in this for us. I feel my fitness has declined as well though.

snowflake293
06-04-15, 09:39
I am just scared cause my glands are so swollen, the pain in them comes and goes but they feel like footballs!

Last night I was coughing so bad I couldn't breathe properly and my bf rang 111 who sent paramedics round they checked my oxygen and said it was 97% which is normal and I should have seen a dr sooner cause of having asthma.

He listened to my chest and said there was no wheeze? I feel wheezy though but its not as phlegmy as it normally is. He said the anxiety and over use of my inhaler was making it worse.

I am just really frightened and upset today. I feel bad cause I feel like I am wasting their time! My chest feels tight and hurts my lungs when I cough. I am panicking cause I am doing a swimming event for charity in less than two weeks and I am so scared I wont be up for it :(

Normally when this happens I see a dr and they give me antibiotics or steroids. I am seeing a Dr tomorrow but I am really panicking over it cause this is the dr I saw a few weeks ago when I had a massive freak out over a mole and she doubled my meds and I had to beg her not to sign me off work :( I am scared it will say on the system about me having a paramedic out and she will want to up my meds more.

I am just sick of all this. I want a normal happy life instead of being totally freaked out by everything. ffs the other night I was panicking over my finger feeling tingly! when will this end?!

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 10:07
I think you have to remember that there is a legitimate physical issue here and your GP needs to treat that right now. One course of antibiotics and you might be ok. Either that or steriods (pity they aren't the anabolic kind with the swimming coming up if you're being paid per length!).

In terms of anxiety, you can explain that how you are feeling ill pushed your anxiety up and along with overuse of the inhaler, some of which can make you jittery which really doesn't help when you have anxiety, caused you to panic.

I think your GP would be more concerned if you panicked and called an ambulance purely out of panic. But here, you have an issue that even the paramedics say should have been treated earlier so I think its a little more justified.

Whether you increase your meds is a decision for you, your GP can't force you to do it. The best thing would be a referral into therapy anyway.

snowflake293
06-04-15, 10:13
I think you have to remember that there is a legitimate physical issue here and your GP needs to treat that right now. One course of antibiotics and you might be ok. Either that or steriods (pity they aren't the anabolic kind with the swimming coming up if you're being paid per length!).

In terms of anxiety, you can explain that how you are feeling ill pushed your anxiety up and along with overuse of the inhaler, some of which can make you jittery which really doesn't help when you have anxiety, caused you to panic.

I think your GP would be more concerned if you panicked and called an ambulance purely out of panic. But here, you have an issue that even the paramedics say should have been treated earlier so I think its a little more justified.

Whether you increase your meds is a decision for you, your GP can't force you to do it. The best thing would be a referral into therapy anyway.

Yeah it is a pity they can't give me some anabolic steroids lol! Would be no worries about me not completing the event then!

I think I might go to our walk-in centre. Its only down the road from me, but my chest feels rotten and I recognise all the symptoms.

I guess I just worry cause I have this huge cancer fear... I am really worried about having lymphoma, it has happened to two people I know who were a similar age to me. I worry about this cause I get the odd night sweat too (only a few times a month) not totally soaked but enough that my chest and back feel wet. Apparently though sertraline can cause this.

I've been having CBT for about 6 months now and it is definitely helping a lot. I just need to follow to advice of the therapist and get into good habits like writing things down and using the techniques she has given me.

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 10:20
Yeah, these meds can cause all sorts of side effects and I've learned that they don't always completely go away after the initial period that we traditionally suffer with them. Its good that you recognise that but I know the subconscious still trys it's tricks to tell you otherwise. Given time and the CBT, that can change, its just always a hard road.

Thats something to mention then if your GP does react, tell them how much better you are. Think of this as blip, we all have them. Recovery isn't about a smooth road back to normality as you know, its a hard one with loads of ups & downs because we aren't in a sterile environment where we can prevent all these other issues intruding on our lives. Your GP should be mindful of that.

I think your GP should also be mindful of any reports from your therapist and whether they are raising any concerns. If they were, they would be telling you in the sessions though. If a therapist thought your GP needed to look at your medication, they would at least tell you and/or them. So, if you have no issues there, its another point towards you recovering and this being a blip.

Perhaps its the extra pressure you have coming up as well that has affected you? A cumulative effect of being low due to the infection, anxious due to the breathing problems and all the rest ruminating.

snowflake293
06-04-15, 10:29
Yeah it is a hard road. I def feel better now Im on 100mg sertraline though. I would go as far as saying its been like 'magic' for me! seriously I was not functioning and I find it just takes the edge off things so I can have a normalish life. I didn't wanna go on it at first but I am glad I did and I do want to stay on this dose.

I do worry about the night sweats and whether or not it is due to the meds. I am so frightening of having cancer or having something wrong, but whenever I get those fears now I find it easier to rationalise and put them into perspective and I think the CBT and meds have helped with that.

I don't think the therapist ever says anything to my GP. Not sure how it works. The GP I am seeing tomorrow is a bit of a dragon. Good GP but SCARY. Fingers crossed it will just be a quick in and out job and she wont ask too many questions. Don't really want to see her but she needs to review me as its two weeks since she increased my meds.

Yeah got a lot of pressure on at the mo, got that event then got my holiday and got loads of family stuff coming up too as well as pressure at work! it all mounts up and I worry about being in control and not being able to do it all.

I think the root cause of my HA is a fear of not being able to do things and losing control due to illness. I think another cause is that I am in a happy time of my life, happy with my job/relationship situation and things are going well and I am just frightened something will come along and ruin it all.

A lot of people in my family (including my mom) have had cancer. Luckily my mom is ok but pretty much everyone else passed away or are terminal. It is horrible and the fear is so alive in me right now. It has also happened to a load of my friends. It just feels like its everywhere!

Its not just cancer either, I have stupid fears about 'bad things happening' like natural disasters even lol!!! I used to have a full blown fear of aliens (seriously!) and would literally spend HOURS on the internet reading up about them - I was totally obsessed!

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 10:49
It does sound like a big part of your recovery is going to be based on acceptance then. Acceptance that things are how they are now and you should concentrate on what you have.

The ironic thing is, its your anxiety that is really preventing you from doing what you want to do when you want to do it. This is true of a lot of us, me included with my GAD & OCD.

I'm sorry to hear about your loved ones who are suffering but I am glad to hear that your mum is ok.

It does seem like its everywhere thesedays but a lot of it is because we are much more aware of it now. It felt the same when we had all the HIV/AIDS campaigns years ago, like it had suddenly exploded out of nowhere other than a vague notion that it existed.

Anxiety by its nature is irrational, so whatever theme it takes is as valid as any other. I've had OCD for 4 years so I can understand what seems totally bizarre after spending months having to touch tons of items until they "felt right".

It also seems ironic that you are talking to a dragon about your dragon! :roflmao:

I'm guessing you are young (slap me if I'm presuming wrongly) but as you get older, wiser and more confident in yourself you won't worry about people like this GP because they will just be another equal person who goes through all the same stuff in life and ends no more than anyone else where their day comes.

Emilym80
06-04-15, 11:08
FYI, another thing that makes my asthma feel worse is muscle tension. I have some issues with my back and ribs that constrict my diaphragm, which makes me breathe improperly and worsen my asthma.

Look up some exercises to stretch out the thoracic/lumbar spine if you feel like your back is tight. If your chest/ribs feel tight, try stretching your shoulders or your ribs with breathing exercises.

Don't overdo them though, try them gently! And if they don't work, it doesn't mean anything is wrong! Just that your back isn't contributing to any breathing difficulties.

Best wishes :)

snowflake293
06-04-15, 11:19
It does sound like a big part of your recovery is going to be based on acceptance then. Acceptance that things are how they are now and you should concentrate on what you have.

The ironic thing is, its your anxiety that is really preventing you from doing what you want to do when you want to do it. This is true of a lot of us, me included with my GAD & OCD.

I'm sorry to hear about your loved ones who are suffering but I am glad to hear that your mum is ok.

It does seem like its everywhere thesedays but a lot of it is because we are much more aware of it now. It felt the same when we had all the HIV/AIDS campaigns years ago, like it had suddenly exploded out of nowhere other than a vague notion that it existed.

Anxiety by its nature is irrational, so whatever theme it takes is as valid as any other. I've had OCD for 4 years so I can understand what seems totally bizarre after spending months having to touch tons of items until they "felt right".

It also seems ironic that you are talking to a dragon about your dragon! :roflmao:

I'm guessing you are young (slap me if I'm presuming wrongly) but as you get older, wiser and more confident in yourself you won't worry about people like this GP because they will just be another equal person who goes through all the same stuff in life and ends no more than anyone else where their day comes.

Thank you. Acceptance is a huge part of it, I am a very impatient person and sometimes I find it hard to accept everything wont get better or go away right away. It is really complicated.

My mom was a nervous wreck during the HIV/AIDS thing, I remember her panicking over my brother as he was always out at raves/clubs during this time. She was so worried he was going to get it. I'm the same with cancer, there is so much about it in the media I feel scared it is going to happen to me and my loved ones.

I am almost 31 and definitely feel I understand my mental health a lot more than I did. Struggling with the HA though as this is a new thing. Been through depression, anxiety and eating disorders and understand a lot more about all those things now, but with HA it is more of an obsessional thing if that makes sense? the eating disorder stuff was sort of an obsession too though I guess.

Not looking forward to seeing the dragon tomorrow but gotta get it over with. She is just terrifying! I am usually in tears panicking when I see a dr and most drs are really nice and understanding but she was stony faced and said it like it was! I probably needed it though and she did put my mind at rest :) I am much better at trusting/believing GPs now.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

FYI, another thing that makes my asthma feel worse is muscle tension. I have some issues with my back and ribs that constrict my diaphragm, which makes me breathe improperly and worsen my asthma.

Look up some exercises to stretch out the thoracic/lumbar spine if you feel like your back is tight. If your chest/ribs feel tight, try stretching your shoulders or your ribs with breathing exercises.

Don't overdo them though, try them gently! And if they don't work, it doesn't mean anything is wrong! Just that your back isn't contributing to any breathing difficulties.

Best wishes :)

Thank you. I deffo get worse when I am tense. I get a lot of back and shoulder tension, I swim a lot and it makes my shoulders quite stiff at times. I will try some exercises. I am sure that will help :)

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 11:46
Thanks Emily - I know I tend to find my muscles tighter around the diaphragm, especially on the right and this has only been since the anxiety came along so it must be muscle tension. It feels like you have to take a deep breath and there isn't space. I've heard that is common. It clearlty doesn't affect my asthma much though because I'm still here, I can run, lift heavy weights, etc without it getting worse and it would if there was a real problem there.

Snowflake - I know what you mean, OCD is very similiar. I struggled terribly with mine at first and then I started reading about it on here and elsewhere (a couple of years before I joined) and it helped me to understand it. The problems were still there but they were no longer some hidden nasty monster that I couldn't understand. Research & education are so important in all this stuff.

I've seen others on here say exactly the same. They have got to grips with a longer running one and a new one has bowled them over. Comorbid conditions can make things harder as they feed off each other.

It takes as long as it takes. All that matters is getting free of it and having the rest of your life back. Its only human nature to want pain & suffering to be eased, thats half the battle with all this as the frustration & sadness feeds it all.

Emilym80
06-04-15, 12:31
Yeah, Terry, I feel that way too. Sometimes I feel like my ribs are making it impossible for my lungs to expand fully. The exercises should help :) you could even see a physio as they'll be able to give you the best exercises for your particular issue.

snowflake293
06-04-15, 12:37
Thanks Emily - I know I tend to find my muscles tighter around the diaphragm, especially on the right and this has only been since the anxiety came along so it must be muscle tension. It feels like you have to take a deep breath and there isn't space. I've heard that is common. It clearlty doesn't affect my asthma much though because I'm still here, I can run, lift heavy weights, etc without it getting worse and it would if there was a real problem there.

Snowflake - I know what you mean, OCD is very similiar. I struggled terribly with mine at first and then I started reading about it on here and elsewhere (a couple of years before I joined) and it helped me to understand it. The problems were still there but they were no longer some hidden nasty monster that I couldn't understand. Research & education are so important in all this stuff.

I've seen others on here say exactly the same. They have got to grips with a longer running one and a new one has bowled them over. Comorbid conditions can make things harder as they feed off each other.

It takes as long as it takes. All that matters is getting free of it and having the rest of your life back. Its only human nature to want pain & suffering to be eased, thats half the battle with all this as the frustration & sadness feeds it all.

I've never been diagnosed with OCD but I feel as though my HA has a lot of characteristics of it. I have been performing rituals for a long time too without even knowing it (counting steps I have done since childhood and often I will need to do things 'twice' to be sure, sometimes more than twice) I do get intrusive thoughts and experience magical thinking. I have much less strange thoughts since starting CBT and I try and 'test' myself more with my magical thinking, eg if I tell myself I have to do something a certain way or something bad will happen, I ignore it and do it a different way.

I think a lot of my problems are interlinked for sure. The only 'good' thing about having HA is it has pretty much stopped all my eating issues! I no longer feel ashamed of eating and have a better body image. I occasionally slip into old habits but it soon stops cause I am terrified of harming my body. It also stopped me smoking too and drinking heavily (I was on 2 bottles of wine a night at my worse, now I drink about a bottle a week and never in one go!) I value and respect my body much more these days.

You are right it is human nature not to want suffering and to feel good. I think sometimes I have an over active imagination/mind. I pick things apart a lot and think too much. With a lot of social situations I tend to over-analyse what people say and worry about what people think. This is something that is getting easier with age though, give less of a monkeys than I used to.

I went to the walk-in centre about my chest but it was a 4 hour wait! Just gonna see that scary doctor tomorrow and hope she can help I think.

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 12:52
Yeah, Terry, I feel that way too. Sometimes I feel like my ribs are making it impossible for my lungs to expand fully. The exercises should help :) you could even see a physio as they'll be able to give you the best exercises for your particular issue.

Thanks Emily.

I've been wondering whether some yoga might be useful for that.

Whilst we are on the subject of asthma, there have been some studies of Mindfulness in its MBSR form that have shown it took be useful in decreasing the problems. I've read before that Mindfulness works on secondary pain which when applied to physical issues (primary pain) means we don't react as badly by making it worse. That's just like with anxiety.

It's interesting to see MBSR tested more. Like how CBT is used for symptom control in cancer patients, which I recall a MBSR study for too.

snowflake293
06-04-15, 12:56
I cant emphasise enough how good yoga is, literally for EVERYTHING. I only go to one class a week, but I get so much from it.

It is especially good for muscle tension, you can actually feel the tension melt away during a practice. The psychological benefits are amazing too, sometimes I cry after a really good session cause I feel like I'm 'letting go' of a lot of negative thoughts.

With anxiety we hold a lot of tension in our neck, shoulders and ribs and it is bound to make asthma worse.

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 13:04
I've never been diagnosed with OCD but I feel as though my HA has a lot of characteristics of it. I have been performing rituals for a long time too without even knowing it (counting steps I have done since childhood and often I will need to do things 'twice' to be sure, sometimes more than twice) I do get intrusive thoughts and experience magical thinking. I have much less strange thoughts since starting CBT and I try and 'test' myself more with my magical thinking, eg if I tell myself I have to do something a certain way or something bad will happen, I ignore it and do it a different way.

I think a lot of my problems are interlinked for sure. The only 'good' thing about having HA is it has pretty much stopped all my eating issues! I no longer feel ashamed of eating and have a better body image. I occasionally slip into old habits but it soon stops cause I am terrified of harming my body. It also stopped me smoking too and drinking heavily (I was on 2 bottles of wine a night at my worse, now I drink about a bottle a week and never in one go!) I value and respect my body much more these days.

You are right it is human nature not to want suffering and to feel good. I think sometimes I have an over active imagination/mind. I pick things apart a lot and think too much. With a lot of social situations I tend to over-analyse what people say and worry about what people think. This is something that is getting easier with age though, give less of a monkeys than I used to.

I went to the walk-in centre about my chest but it was a 4 hour wait! Just gonna see that scary doctor tomorrow and hope she can help I think.

Did you have BDD then, if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I know NICE guidelines cover both OCD & BDD together and one of the major UK OCD charities also cover it.

I also know that in the World Health Organisations (WHO) diagnostic manual they do the same. They also have something in there about HA being considered part of an OCD or BDD condition if it comes along whilst still suffering from them.

So, it feels like all your anxieties have some links or common ground. I have had several forms of OCD and I know others on here like that and some with HA & OCD. I guess part of it is the underlying obsessional behavior and this is how it find the cracks to seap out.

I remember talking to you on the OCD board about things like magical thinking months ago when you joined.

Well done beating the eating disorder. I bet you had a point where you thought you couldn't get better and now look at you. So, thats proof again that you have the strength to beat all this!

snowflake293
06-04-15, 13:14
Did you have BDD then, if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I know NICE guidelines cover both OCD & BDD together and one of the major UK OCD charities also cover it.

I also know that in the World Health Organisations (WHO) diagnostic manual they do the same. They also have something in there about HA being considered part of an OCD or BDD condition if it comes along whilst still suffering from them.

So, it feels like all your anxieties have some links or common ground. I have had several forms of OCD and I know others on here like that and some with HA & OCD. I guess part of it is the underlying obsessional behavior and this is how it find the cracks to seap out.

I remember talking to you on the OCD board about things like magical thinking months ago when you joined.

Well done beating the eating disorder. I bet you had a point where you thought you couldn't get better and now look at you. So, thats proof again that you have the strength to beat all this!

Thank you. I was never diagnosed with BDD but I deffo think I have/had it. Especially so when I look back at pics of me when I was ill and thought I was massive back then and I really wasn't! I am a healthy normal size now, perhaps even a few pounds over what I should be lol but most the time I feel ok. However when I am feeling bad about my body (and I do still have bad days) I literally think I am huge! Its like my mind blows my fears out of proportion and makes them 'real'. The only things I was ever diagnosed with was GAD, depression, bulimia and recently HA. I def think I have OCD and BDD traits though.

What made me have a better body image was getting fit. Once I started working out and feeling strong and healthy I stopped worrying about how my body looked and was more concerned over what it could do! I started doing boxing classes and lifting weights and I would no longer look at skinny girls in the gym wishing I looked like them, but I'd look at all the big buff blokes and think yeah, I want guns like that lol! seriously though a huge turning point was learning to respect my body and eat sensibly.

Thanks for the encouragement, you are right I got though all the eating/body image stuff and I can get through this.

Emilym80
06-04-15, 13:21
I've only tried yoga a few times, but it makes me feel really sick- I think I'm so used to hyperventilating or just breathing poorly that my body isn't used to proper levels of oxygen... or something.

I know that breathing with pursed lips helps me asthma- you breathe in for 2 seconds through your nose and breathe out for 4 with pursed lips.

Also, if your ribs feel tight, lie on your side and take a deep breath in with your hand resting on your rib on the outside. When you've breathed out, quickly press on your rib with the palm- ribs apparently respond to springing motion according to my physio, so this is supposed to release the tension carried in the ribs. Or something.

I'll probably give yoga another go though; my mum swears by it.

snowflake293
06-04-15, 13:53
I've only tried yoga a few times, but it makes me feel really sick- I think I'm so used to hyperventilating or just breathing poorly that my body isn't used to proper levels of oxygen... or something.

I know that breathing with pursed lips helps me asthma- you breathe in for 2 seconds through your nose and breathe out for 4 with pursed lips.

Also, if your ribs feel tight, lie on your side and take a deep breath in with your hand resting on your rib on the outside. When you've breathed out, quickly press on your rib with the palm- ribs apparently respond to springing motion according to my physio, so this is supposed to release the tension carried in the ribs. Or something.

I'll probably give yoga another go though; my mum swears by it.

It used to make me feel sick and dizzy at first, once I had to stop cause I felt like I was gonna faint. What helped me was to breath a little less, even if the instructor and other people in the class are breathing more/deeply just do what feels best for you to start off with.

I will try the pursed lips breathing thing and the rib thing too! At the moment the tension feels like its actually in my windpipe, it feels very 'sticky' if you know what I mean like someones poured glue down there. My chest itself doesn't feel too bad and I can breathe ok, I think I am just sore from all the coughing.

Emilym80
06-04-15, 14:42
Maybe herbal tea/warm drink will help your throat sensation? It does for me, sometimes :)

snowflake293
07-04-15, 12:20
Just an update -

Saw the GP this morning. I was a bit scared cause it was about my anxiety mainly, but she was REALLY nice to me and put me at ease. She is keeping me on 100mg Sertraline and will review in a few months.

She listened to my chest and said I have a slight wheeze and its probably an infection so has prescribe antibiotics and steroids (Prednisolone) I am really hoping they work soon cause I feel terrible. Been up coughing half the night and my chest feels very sore. Its a very dry hacking cough and I feel like my windpipe and lungs are spasming!

I have got some Potters cough pastilles too to try and supress the coughing and have gone home! Feel proper guilty for calling in sick now so that is making the anxiety worse. I feel bad cause I was only off the other month with shingles!

Good thing is my HA seems loads better. Sat in the GP surgery today without doing my usual freaking out/crying. Felt a tiny bit nervous and that was all! Feel quite proud of myself for that. Just wish I could stop coughing! yuck!

Emilym80
07-04-15, 12:36
That's great to hear about your HA! Hopefully your chest clears up quickly enough. Feel better soon :)

snowflake293
07-04-15, 12:47
Thank you. I just want to share with people that it IS possible to get through HA and even when you still have set backs, recovery is possible! Sitting there today and not having a big panic was a huge turning point for me. Just hope these steroids kick in soon cause my lungs feel like they are gonna pack their bags and leave my body! lol

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-15, 04:49
There you go Snowflake, you've slayed one dragon so you can slay the other!

Glad it went well for you.

Make sure you remember this as evidence to rationalise with in future when the distortions kick in. Things are not always as we judge them when anxious.

snowflake293
08-04-15, 14:50
Thanks Terry, will use this as evidence for sure! Only prob is the steroids I am on are making me feel seriously weird. Had about 3 hours sleep last night and still don't feel tired. Strange.

snowflake293
09-04-15, 20:08
Hi again guys

Really freaking out over my asthma. OMG I even recognise the physical symptoms and I KNOW I am ok, but part of me keeps thinking "this is something worse" or "I am just gonna stop breathing and die" or "its never gonna get better and I am gonna have terrible asthma forever"

It is driving me insane cause I kinda feel I am at a turning point with my HA and I desperately want to deal with my feelings rationally, but I keep turning to my usual methods of reassurance (going to doctors too much, asking family/boyfriend things, asking on here etc...)

Yes my asthma is bad, nasty flare up and lucky me I have caught a cold on top of it now :( but it will get better!

Annoyed cause I can't see the CBT person now for 6 weeks as I missed my appointment yesterday cause I felt too rough.

Just want to beat this :(

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-15, 08:45
Its just like with intrusive thoughts in OCD, snowflake. The subconscious sees a strong emotional reaction and this is a confirmation that the process is 'valid'. Its only valid, because the subconscious has no conception of right or wrong because that is a function of the conscious mind.

I've beaten my harm based OCD thoughts ad a lot of my OCD rituals now. I did it by learning not to react to the thoughts at all, don't judge them, which I learned by starting Mindfulness. I also used it to reduce my GAD was was keeping my OCD at an unmoveable high level.

Remember, you can see if for what it is which is part of the battle. She also were worring about seeing your GP and you beat that. You can beat this, you just need to find what works and keep trying but emotional reaction keeps it going so find a way to stop that.

snowflake293
10-04-15, 11:02
Thanks Terry, that's really helpful. The CBT person I see explained it to me in a really interesting way once, she said to think of a forest and all the well trodden paths being easy to take, but sometimes its harder to get down a less trodden path. Really made sense to me.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-15, 11:24
Well in that case think of treading down those had paths over & over until they become smooth and the old smooth ones become overgrown because they are not longer used. Hey presto, neuroplasticity in woodland form!

snowflake293
10-04-15, 11:33
Hey presto, neuroplasticity in woodland form!

lol! it is true though. my best mate explained it the same sort of way too, she said its about making your brain make new connections or sommat like that. It did make sense though.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-15, 11:42
Your mate obviously has some understanding of neuroplasticity because thats exactly what it does. It builds new assocations between neurons and creates new neural pathways thusdiscarding the old which no longer 'fire'.

I used to have intrusive thoughts, I learnt not to judge them through Mindfulness training and now my old pathways are not used and my new non judgemental, non reaction pathways do.

The same way we learn things like playing an instrument or how to drive are covered under the same principle, which is accepted science as it replaced the old early maturity level that scientists used to think the brain had.

snowflake293
10-04-15, 11:59
That's how she explained it lol!

I need to retrain my brain but it is soooooo hard. I associate so many things with other things, then have all these things I have to do to make it 'feel better'

Think I just need to get back on track with the CBT and doing my CBT 'homework' and practicing various techniques.

Fishmanpa
10-04-15, 12:35
That's how she explained it lol!

I need to retrain my brain but it is soooooo hard. I associate so many things with other things, then have all these things I have to do to make it 'feel better'

Think I just need to get back on track with the CBT and doing my CBT 'homework' and practicing various techniques.

As a result of surgery to remove my cancer, my left arm, shoulder and back have been compromised. I could barely lift my arm for a period of time. It's still weak but I have to do my exercises to keep it strong and flexible or I'll lose the gains I've made. Same principle applies concerning the mind and CBT.

Positive thoughts

snowflake293
10-04-15, 12:37
That's right Fishmanpa. It is so tough though cause I'm just used to doing things 'a certain way' I know its doing me no good at all, right now even I am Googling lymphoma! I need to STOP.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-15, 12:53
If you are going to Google, type in Cognitive Distortions and write next to each of your thoughts which they fit into. Type in CBT tools, type in relaxation exercises.

Whatever you do, don't type in lymphoma. It will only feed it further because you will be drawn to the symptoms and will forget that what you are experiencing is also explained by an infection and anxiety.

Open the door to that hamster cage again and let him do his stuff!

Or maybe go for a walk in the sun, breathe in and notice the cool air, feel the heat of the sun on your face but take yourself out of a place where you will be tempted to obsess.

snowflake293
10-04-15, 13:05
Thanks Terry, its just awful. Its like the fear has consumed me now, as it did with my bottom mole 3 weeks ago! I was utterly convinced it was melanoma, and now I am utterly convinced I have lymphoma.

You are right, rather than Googling cancers I should be working on sorting my mind out. I'd love to go for a walk but I need to stay in cause the pollution is so bad today (dr even said that's possibly why my asthmas been so bad)

The hamster is fast asleep, lucky little bugger without a care in the world(!)

I think I am gonna switch off my laptop and read for a bit, take my mind off it all.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-15, 13:18
Good plan. Remove the temptation, put it out of reach so its harder to get at.

Break the cycle of negative spiraling thoughts.

Reading is a good ideal but really take it in, try to visualise what you are reading in your mind.