PDA

View Full Version : Limited Symptom Attacks

Emilym80
04-04-15, 08:30
Hi guys,

I think I've been having panic attacks for a couple of months now and was wondering if this sounds familiar.

I've had a few full-blown ones but have had more of what I think are limited symptom attacks, which have only a few symptoms. One such thing happened not too long ago...

I was watching a band and suddenly became aware of my heart beat- it was regular but felt odd and I felt slightly short of breath. I felt tingling in my fingers and some sense of derealisation. I also became absentminded and irritable. However, I didn't have any extreme or disabling anxiety- I did feel especially anxious and on-edge for a couple of minutes, and felt that I was about to die or something bad would happen but not to the extent that I was totally unable to function.

So I was wondering if it's possible to have panic attacks without heaps of anxiety? I wouldn't have thought so but I've had cardio testing done and had a heart/BP monitor for probably half an hour last week and it was fine.

Also, nothing happened to directly cause the attack. I have GAD so am normally pretty worried anyway but when I've had panic attacks I've usually had shaking and been inconsolably anxious. They're usually caused by something specific, too, they don't typically happen out of nowhere for me.

Anyway, help or insight would be appreciated- thanks :)

H.Daniel
04-04-15, 09:43
Yes, panic attacks can occur out of the blue without any warning. That is why they are very hard to control sometimes.

The fact that you did a test on your heart and saw that you are healthy will help you in the future when the next panic attack will strike. You will know that you have nothing to worry and that you will not have a heart attack.

There are many solutions for ending your panic attacks, please don't wait for this to stop on its own because it will never stop without you changing your mental state.

Take care and be well!

Emilym80
04-04-15, 10:55
Hey there,

Thanks for that. It was just unusual in that I didn't actually feel very anxious until towards the end, and not for very long. Usually when I have panic attacks I feel very drained afterwards and giddy, like I have residual energy that I need to burn; I didn't feel that way this time.

Over the next hour or so I kept having waves of anxiety that lasted anywhere from 3-20 seconds. Really odd! Maybe it was a drawn out limited symptom attack...

I've been trying to seek counselling for a while now, but it's been hard as I've had to keep changing physician. I won't see my new counsellor for another two weeks, either.

Anyway, thanks again for your input :)

Mikahla1994
05-04-15, 04:12
I'm so similar I just got diagnosed with panic disorder at the end of the month by my doctors and from trips to the hospital, once with just sweaty palms and severe chest pains and then that went and it was heart palpitations sweaty palms and light headed, I get so faint that I feel like Im going to drop dead, I'm only new to this site but can't wait to start talking to people going through the same thing and hopefully make some friends. I just started on mirtazapine 30mg and have been feeling tired and groggy and emotionless but haven't had a panic attack in 5 days now which is a record for me as they were everyday for about two weeks. But I do agree sysmtoms can be different everytime and panic attacks for me have always been out of the blue or so I though maybe it was something I was thinking but I can never remember what I was thinking before they happened. hope you get ontop of this before it gets worse I don't recommend drinking or drugs it will only bring it out more :)

Davit
05-04-15, 05:32
Your pulse could be normal but it sounds like your blood pressure spiked for a few seconds. That is what mine does when it spikes and comes back down. And it happens for no reason I can find other than most times I'm tired.

Emilym80
05-04-15, 08:02
. hope you get ontop of this before it gets worse I don't recommend drinking or drugs it will only bring it out more :)

Hey,

I think you're right, it came on as I was having a cider and got worse with every sip. I had another one today though and I'd had nothing to drink :/

They've been quite long for me, with waves of panic and physical symptoms punctuating long periods of anxious tension. I'm away for another week or so but I'm hoping when I see my gp in a couple of weeks he'll prescribe me something as this is getting out of hand and I've still not been able to begin CBT with my therapist.

Best wishes :)

Mikahla1994
06-04-15, 10:11
Cbt will help you heaps I've seen good reviews I go into see a phycologist this week. I'm only new to all this but this site helps heaps! If you can go without the drugs I'd say try it first cause I feel my life is going to circle around pills now forever! :(