PDA

View Full Version : Back Again. Sertraline and side effects

richie.1k
04-04-15, 13:52
Hi All

Im Rich in my early 40's have been on here before but not for a few years

Ive had anxiety issues since i was 13.
I was on fluoxetine for 12 yrs and a couple of years at 40mg. Which i stopped last year.
6 weeks ago ive been put on Sertraline 50mg and now 10 days at 100mg and also propanlol 3 times a day. and the odd diazepam here and there
I recently split with my partner of 4 years (only a week ago) which was my decision as i think the relationship wasnt working. The anxiety of ending this is what has started my panic attacks again.
I quit smoking (i dont mean cigarettes) as well 5 weeks ago as this made my anxiety worse.
My anxiety now is at an all time high with regular panic attacks and really bad night terrors. As in i woke last night nearly choking as i had wrapped the duvet around my neck so tight i could hardly breath. One morning i woke up and felt i was still in a zombie film and took me hrs to get over it.
I feel guilty at ending the relationship as she has her own problems which are worse than mine and she is also on sertraline 100mg.
I get texts as she wants to get back together which does not help my anxiety in anyway.I have made it clear i dont want to get back together and to give me a little space.
To be honest im really struggling at the moment having trouble just leaving the house (im back in my own house) and really at a loss. Not sure what to do with myself watching the same old repeats on tv.
Im awaiting an appointment with a psychiatrist but that might not be for another month. A month seams such a long way away.
The side effects im having (which may or not be down to just the sertraline)
1 Rapid Heart Beat (over 100bpm ) when resting
2 Not Sleeping or having night terrors when i do go to sleep
3 Hands and Feet sweating all day and night
4 The feeling that im not me? if that makes sense
5 Becoming slightly agrophobic

Thanks for reading any comments would be much appreciated Richie

venusbluejeans
04-04-15, 13:58
Hiya richie.1k and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Davit
04-04-15, 22:35
There is a diet sort of that will increase Seratonin levels in your brain. SSRI's do not make Seratonin, they keep you from losing it. I'm doing this and can see the benefit since I can not take SSRI's. I'm not going to get technical because you can find why under Seratonin on the net. It is simply to always consume a carbohydrate with every Tryptophan bearing food. Eggs and toast. cheerios and milk Croutons or grapes in your chefs salad. A hamburger with ketchup doesn't need fries. A lot of foods have Tryptophan in them but without the carbohydrate they won't get to your brain to be changed to Seratonin. If nothing else this would reduce the need for a high dose of SSRI and it's side effects. Milk is the best source of Tryptophan and has it's own carbohydrate.

What is your calcium level. Calcium is necessary for proper use of synapses.

Sadly Mary Jane stimulates Dopamine production. So that will go down now. Not that I recommend smoking.

richie.1k
05-04-15, 18:21
Does make some interesting reading having been doing a little bit of research on the above. Maybe quiting smoking women and stating anti depressent in the space of two weeks might not have been my brightest move lol

helloworld
05-04-15, 19:58
Hi Richie,

i had fairly bad side effects when i first started on sertraline (50mg) and then again when i went up to 100 mg... main problems were insomnia and feeling hyped up (which made anxiety worse) in both cases it took about 2 weeks to settle down...

hope it goes well for you....