PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and need help.

Mikahla1994
05-04-15, 04:30
hey everyone :)
I'm new, I'm 20yrs old and female, at the start of last month it started I had my first panic attack at work I got extremely light headed and hot flush and my heart was racing... I ignored it because I didn't know what it was and went out the following weekend with friends and the next day it got worse again I had severe chest pains and sweaty palms and I felt like I was dieing, I went to the hospital and they gave me reflux tablets which of course did nothing until I went to the hospital at 1pm at night and they finally decided I was having panic attacks. It's been such a rough month for me I used to work full time I'm now down to just 2 days a week barely paying the bills. I had so many panic attacks in that week I lost track they gave me Diazapam which helped but I just slept all day and all night I wasn't living. Then finally I've started on mirtazapine 15mg for a week and a half and still wasn't feeling well so I've gone upto 30mg its been almost another week and a half but have been feeling so groggy and always tired and maybe emotionless I just don't care anymore I'm avoid family gatherings and going to busy places now I haven't had a panic attack in 5 days which is a new record but I can't function properly. I know I've always had anxiety but this is just to much. Can anyone relate to this? Or have any feedback on mirtazapine ? :weep:

Davit
05-04-15, 05:25
It is a very common anti depressant prescribed for major depressant but given often for anxiety and sleep. It does work for sleep but in my experience does little for anxiety or panic. The reason your not having panic attacks is probably because you are sedated. Hopefully you can find answers here by doing a mirtazapine search but in my opinion and remember it is only my opinion it is the wrong drug.

Mikahla1994
05-04-15, 05:47
Thanks I know it just your opion but it helps so much Im thinking I might go back upto the hospital to talk to a physiatrist and see what they have to say about the drugs I'm on. I'm just not functioning properly sedated is defiantly how I feel. I just don't want the panic attacks to come back when I change drugs :/
I still feel anxiety a lot I get nervous going anywhere and tight sensation in my belly but no more attacks and its keeping me sane.

I'm in to start seeing a phycologist next week on Tuesday to start therapy maybe it's good for me to be sedated until then?

I feel like I've lost my life, I just don't want to leave the house now everything is a struggle :(

Emilym80
05-04-15, 08:44
Hey there,

If you feel you mightn't be able to cope, it could be a good idea to stay on the medication for now. You shouldn't discontinue it anyway without consulting with a physician.

Depending on what kind of therapy you end up doing, it could be helpful to be sedated somewhat for the first few sessions because then it could be easier for you to take in what they're saying and/or implement it (especially if you're on CBT).

I hope things improve for you soon- take care :)

HunniBee
05-04-15, 10:31
Hey :)

Firstly, hang in there as it will get better I promise!

Secondly, I'm on Mirtazipine, have been for years which I take to help me sleep at night and I went from 15mg to 30mg and fluctuate between the two depending as sometimes the 15mg doesn't do anything for me. But it seems to help with calming me down and getting off to sleep which is good and my morning anxiety at present isn't as bad today as it has been :)
I know some people swear my Diazepam but personally for me I hate it, it made me feel worse than ever and it did not agree with me at all so I stay away from it. It made me feel that I was having a panic attack all over again.

Like others have said I think it's a case of trial and error as I've been on Citalopram, Fluoextine and now Venaflaxine which I'm seeing my doctor about increasing as the anxiety attacks are creeping back in.

See how you go on the Mirtazipine for a while, remember these types of medications take a while to get in and work so please don't give up just yet. Sometimes the side effects are bloody awful but ride them out as they do pass :)

I hope you start to feel better and if you need any help or advice all of us are always here :)

HB xx

Mikahla1994
05-04-15, 22:45
Thanks everyone you have helped me heaps and knowing there are people going through the same thing helps sooo much. I just wish I had my life back but I think it's going to have changed forever now :(
Can't wait to start therapy... Did anyone else's have different panic attacks each time like different symptoms?

zeros
06-04-15, 00:04
You're so young and you'll get better. I know how hopeless you feel right now and I'm going through the extract same thing. For 15 years I've been having problems with anxiety and ocd. I've had a few panic attacks here and there but nothing like the one I had last week. I'm also terrified right now and I'm convinced that my life has changed forever, that I won't be able to do anything and that I'll become house bound.

I read everywhere that it's possible to recover from panic attacks and lead a normal life again. With these feelings currently, I doubt that but I must be wrong because there is evidence that says otherwise.

Stay strong, work with the therapist and you will see the light again. It must and it will get better. Hold on Dear!

zeros
06-04-15, 01:00
Paul, I couldn't have said it better!

Mikahla1994
06-04-15, 10:07
Thanks everyone! Youth is on my side but I'm scared this is just the start! I have been searching more on mirtazapine and I think I'll stay on it at least the attacks have gone and my energy will come back eventually... I see a phycologist this week so hopefully start some sort of therapy and start my road to recovery! This site has helped so much I've started meditations aswell and also started to read the book Power over Panic so hopefully it helps! Best of luck to you all aswell! We can beat this!!!

HunniBee
06-04-15, 17:41
Mikahla, you will get through this trust me and just to echo what others have, we are all here to help one another and its places like this that we all need, someone who is or who has gone through the same :)

Go and read through some of the threads on the success stories section, it will really help you too see that it can be beaten.

Luckily enough mine has been kept at bay today as I've kept busy but tomorrow will be a different story but I hope not!

Stay strong & keep your head held high!

HB xx