PDA

View Full Version : Increase in Ven?

HunniBee
05-04-15, 10:05
I was wondering if anyone could help?

If I'm suffering from very bad anxiety would an increase in Ven help at all? I'm currently on 37.5mg twice a day but it doesn't seem to be doing much at the moment....advice would be great :)

HB xx

spawn
05-04-15, 10:22
Hey, when I was on Ven I went up to 150mg before my anxiety settled, but I increased in small doses. 75mg is the minimum dose really. Also how long have you been on that dose? As my anxiety increased at first. Hope this helps.
Gav

nicola1980
05-04-15, 10:28
Hi i take 187.5mg of ven and like gav I didn't start to improve until I reached 150mg and then I needed an extra 37.5mg, how long have you been taking it? The recommend dose for anxiety is 150mg but like gav said if you've recently started taking it it could be that making your anxiety worse as it heightened mine at the beginning XX

HunniBee
05-04-15, 10:44
Hey all,

I've been on the 2 x 37.5mg for a good 6 months and they worked but they seemed to have stopped now :( it did heighten in the beginning but that was 6 months ago.

HB xx

nicola1980
05-04-15, 10:59
Maybe go back to your Gp and see about an increase? XX

HunniBee
05-04-15, 14:25
Hi Nicola,

That's what I was thinking, going to make the appointment on Tuesday :)

HB xx

SADnomore
05-04-15, 23:01
Good for you, Hunni! It does seem like you are well-established on the 75 mg. minimum now, and it's time to find your optimal dose! Good luck! p.s. Insist on a transition through 112 mg by way of an additional 37.5 for awhile, then another 37.5 to the 150 if needed. These small increases really help to avoid any possible s/e due to a change of dose. Good luck, you've got loads of new pals on here!
:bighug1:

spawn
05-04-15, 23:07
Yes like above increase in 37.5mg doses. Good luck.

Davit
05-04-15, 23:10
Okay, I'm a cannuck, what is VEN.

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 01:29
Okay, I'm a cannuck, what is VEN.

Its Venlafaxine. But I don't know what a cannuck is :D

Pipkin
06-04-15, 02:38
Its Venlafaxine. But I don't know what a cannuck is :D

Canuck = Canadian, I believe.

Pip

Davit
06-04-15, 02:47
Canadian for Canadian but sort of not up to snuff.

Hockey team I think also, Vancouver Canucks.

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-15, 09:26
Canuck = Canadian, I believe.

Pip

Canadian for Canadian but sort of not up to snuff.

Hockey team I think also, Vancouver Canucks.

It sounded ruder in my head, thanks for clearing that up guys :D

HunniBee
06-04-15, 17:37
Thank you all for your kind replies :)
Hoping I don't get a crappy doc tomorrow that is not sympathetic and doesn't understand!

I'll let you know how it goes!

HB xx

nicola1980
06-04-15, 18:22
Good luck XX

HunniBee
06-04-15, 21:33
Thanks Nic :)

HB xx

HunniBee
07-04-15, 10:28
So got an appointment with a duty doctor which means I don't know who I will be seeing! But I'm not sure what to say....I get all tongue tied and start talking rubbish, help?!

HB xx

nicola1980
07-04-15, 11:29
Just explain that your anxiety has been very bad again and your only on 75mg of ven so you thought you might benefit from a slight increase, i get nervous if I have to see another doctor other than my usual, hope it goes ok, let me know how you get on XX

HunniBee
07-04-15, 14:36
Well had a good doctor who upped the ven by 75mg so I'm on 112.5mg so we will see how that goes.
He also mentioned Betablockers but I've not heard great things so was a bit against going on them.
He wants monthly visits so we can tweak if needs be or change things.

Now just gotta see if the hypnotherapist/CBT lady can help further :)

HB xx

nicola1980
07-04-15, 15:16
Glad you got on ok, when do you start the increase? Your on the standard release tablets aren't you? Hopefully you'll feel better in a couple of weeks, I've tried beta blockers but they gave me awful nightmares and I didn't really notice any different so I just take the odd Diazepam if I'm having a bad day XX

HunniBee
07-04-15, 17:22
Hey Nic,

I'm guessing tomorrow....1 x 75mg in the morning then the 37.5mg at night plus I've still got my 30mg Mirtazipine that I take at night but he didn't want to increase that as well in case it makes me a bit foggy in the morning.

Good thing was that he said about having regular check ups every month to see how I'm getting on :) which should surely be the norm anyways?

I'm hoping this helps plus my appointment with the CBT/Hypnotherisist lady Thursday.

Once and for all I will beat this!

HB xx

nicola1980
07-04-15, 20:18
Hi hun, yes it's good your having regular check ups, you def should when starting or increasing any meds,ddon't worry if your anxiety increases slightly with the increase as it'll just be the side effects, it won't last too long XX

HunniBee
07-04-15, 20:25
Thanks Nic!

Bloody parents started arguing earlier....set off a bit of a panic, now I'm finding anxiety when I'm going home which is never a good thing!

What happened to a normal life?!

HB xx

nicola1980
07-04-15, 21:32
Normal?? What's that lol? When my anxiety is bad I always find myself shaking if anyone's arguing, like my son's dad, he's a total arse but I can hold my own with him but when I was feeling particularly anxious and panicky any argument with him would lead me afterwards to be a nervous quivering wreck which isn't me at all :( when we're like this we're over sensitised, i can't stand any noise or anything if I'm panicky, it sends me crazy even more!! I can't even have the TV on, it has to be totally quiet! Oh what I'd give to be totally normal again ha! XX

HunniBee
08-04-15, 10:34
Well took my first 75mg and I felt odd and panicky but that seems to have settled this morning :)
Feel a bit numb though if that makes sense?

HB xx

nicola1980
08-04-15, 13:44
Hi hun, well done on your increase, i think sometimes we look for the side effects, i felt quite numb when I increased recently actually I was so pleased that I managed to cry my eyes out at a film at the weekend as I was panicking a bit that I felt too numb!! XX

HunniBee
09-04-15, 21:48
Hey Nic,

Sorry for the late reply!

I spoke too soon and although that day was good the evening wasn't and today has been hell! The doc has prescribed me propranlol to ease the anxiety which may be heightened from my increase so we shall see how that goes!

HB xx

nicola1980
10-04-15, 02:29
Hi hun, i last increased my ven in Jan and unfortunately I got heightened anxiety too, it's bloody horrible but I persevered and I'm so glad I did as I nearly threw the towel in many times I felt so awful so try and stick with it and I hope the propranolol helps but if not don't be afraid to ask your Gp for some Diazepam to help you thro the side effects, they were a godsend to me and are regularly prescribed and used when a starting or increasing an AD for a short while XX

HunniBee
10-04-15, 06:31
Thanks Nic!

See I'm not too sure if it's my general anxiety getting worse or if it's the increase making me more anxious. It just makes me feel that I'm unable to function and I just want to hide away all day in bed an not move. It's sometimes unbearable. Did you find this? I did take a look at your posts and it seems you did.

I can't take Diazepam as it really made me ten times worse last time I took it, racing heart, constant anxiety etc and it's what I overdosed on so it doesn't bring back good memories!!

The Propranlol worked last night so I'm hoping it does today too!!

HB xx

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-15, 06:36
Hi HunniBee,

I think I mentioned this on your thread on the GAD board but if not, I too had unbearable anxiety when increasing Duloxetine which is also an SRNI.

Some people experience a paradoxical effect on medication (I think thats what its called, hanshan mentioned it on the Pregabalin board) where something like Diazepam or Zopiclone produces the opposite effect. I had this too on Diazapam at 5mg after being on it for about a week so I stopped. I did take 2mg upon waking years later to counter the last 2 days I had trouble going up on Duloxetine and it did help, so the paradoxical effect isn't something that will always repeat.

HunniBee
10-04-15, 07:38
Thanks Terry! That helps greatly.

Today feels a bit better, but only time will tell! The Propranlol helped yesterday and ive got it with my just in case.
Obviously once you've had a bad outcome with one drug you tend to stay away from it like a certain kind of food.

As long as I know the heightened anxiety passes I'll know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

HB xx

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-15, 09:20
Yeah, I know what you mean, I don't think I would be going back on my current one again after going through all these issues with it, its not suited to me.

My bad reaction lasted a solid 8-10 days non stop. It was the worst anxiety I have ever felt by a long way. It would start with adrenaline rushes for about 2 hours when I woke. I felt like I needed to run a marathon at a sprint! It reminded me of the scene in the film Crank where Jason Statham injects himself in the lift and then comes sprinting out screaming!

If it has lessened, thats a good sign. It sounds like it not constant like mine and Nicola seemed to have it like that as well, it would easy off for a day or so and come back but she is through it now as far as I know.

I'm sure she will pop on and comment about it later.

You do sound a bit more hopeful today.

HunniBee
10-04-15, 12:29
Thanks Terry.

Everyone seems so kind and helpful on here which is lovely. I never had anxiety when I was younger, used to talk to everyone and not be shy but now as I've got older it's gotten worse.

Today has been a really good day so far *touch wood* and ive not felt as anxious as normal but I think if you look for it, it's gonna happen! So I'm keeping busy.

My mum thinks I need to get out more, keep busy and exercise more plus look into having a better diet as all I eat is rubbish!

It's so nice at the mo not to be constantly anxious. I'm not taking the Propranlol unless I really really need to otherwise it will just be a crutch for me to keep taking it.

HB xx

nicola1980
10-04-15, 21:29
Hi HB, I've replied to your pm :) I'm pleased the anxiety isn't too bad at the min but just keep telling yourself when it starts that it won't last it's only the side effects, like Terry I had a rough time increasing and I even questioned whether I was doing the right thing but I'm so pleased now that I stuck it out. It's easy for others to say you need to get out more etc but that's damn hard when you battling anxiety, i used to go to the shop with my legs like jelly and shaking like a leaf, sometimes it even took me quite a few attempts to summon the courage up to even open my front door, when your feeling better you can address getting out, exercise etc but at the min just concentrate on getting yourself well and if you feel like going out then great go but don't be too hard on yourself :hugs: XX

MyNameIsTerry
11-04-15, 09:04
I know what you mean, Nicola. I have been on 2 antidepressants now, both due to a breakdown. The side effects I experienced at that rough time both made things worse for me and I became agoraphobic. It didn't take too long to resolve it but it was very hard going back out for a while.

HunniBee
13-04-15, 11:00
Ok so....anxiety still being a bit of a pain in the behind. Seems to be like I said, worse in the morning and evening but evens out a bit during the day.

The Betablockers do not seem to be making as much difference as they were but not sure if it is because I am looking for it if that makes sense? Not sure if Diazepam would be more suited but it really freaked me out the last time I took it because it made me feel a full blown panic attack with the heart racing etc.

Seem to be a bit of a loss now....

HB xx

HunniBee
28-04-15, 13:38
Ok so Doc has increased my ven to 150mg from 112.5mg as the anxiety just won't quit....any bad things that I have to look forward too?!

HB xx

nicola1980
28-04-15, 15:27
Hi hun, you will prob experience some increased anxiety and nausea, are you on the slow release tablets as if not I'd recommend as I think you get a smoother ride on them especially when your on a higher dose plus you only need to take it once a day XX

HunniBee
28-04-15, 15:43
Hi Nic,

I don't think I am as I take one 75mg in the morning and then one 75mg at night.
The Propronalol isn't working anymore either so the doc has prescribed me a few Diazepam to help but only to get me through to seeing my doc next week.

See, I know I wouldn't feel this anxiety anymore if I just quit my job as then it would all go away but am I going to be this way all the time....running away from things?

HB xx

spamvicious
28-04-15, 18:01
When do the side effects settle down?. I've increased from 75mg up to 112.5mg 12 days ago and have horrible palpitations and heart jolts. Anyone know how long I'll have to put up with it?.

nicola1980
28-04-15, 18:39
When I last increased I had side effects for about 3 weeks, the first 2 weeks being the worst.
try the Diazepam hunni it will help especially with the increase in ven, are you signed off work at the min? XX

HunniBee
29-04-15, 08:11
Hi Nic,

No I haven't been signed off work, I don't want to be though as it keeps me busy keeps me from just sitting around thinking of things plus I love my job even if it is the thing giving me the anxiety!

HB xx