PDA

View Full Version : Hello

KittyJK
05-04-15, 19:04
Hello All,

Joined today, been suffering GAD for last 3 months or so, I worry about everything but my health (hypochondria?) is the thing that sets me off, currently undergoing group CBT. Week 2 of this approaching.

Desperately hoping the course helps, anxiety progresses into Panic attacks on occasion - try my best to distract myself if I can feel it approaching but just comes without warning at times. The anxiety itself carries a multitude of symptoms, I've given up going to my GP and just have to accept the way my body feels is the anxiety. Bloods been taken, ECGs etc and all good...

Looking forward to sharing with/helping others on here :)

venusbluejeans
05-04-15, 19:09
Hiya KittyJK and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Davit
05-04-15, 19:18
CBT comprises two therapies put together about 55 years ago. The first half is behavioural and gives quick relief because it is coping. The second half is cognitive and that teaches how to change thought patterns. So if you don't do the whole thing you get limited relief instead of a cure. Stick it out to the end. If you stop half way down the tunnel the next train to come along will get you.

KittyJK
05-04-15, 19:25
Thanks for the advice Davit.

I think the course will require a lot of work on my behalf, I pray that it helps. Definitely going to attend for the duration.

Davit
05-04-15, 19:46
It will help. Especially the changing of thought patterns. CBT is like a bell curve, it starts off slow as you learn then gets faster and finally there is an adjustment to your specific needs. Funny thing with it is after the first improvement you don't notice much till one morning you wake up and all the anxiety has been gone a while and you never noticed. You will even wonder if it was as bad as it was and why it even happened. Believe me, I know it happened, I'm just glad it is gone.