PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks and OCD - which books do you recommend?

zeros
06-04-15, 11:27
Friends,

First of all I would like to thank you for helping me out with my struggles at the moment.

I have a few workbooks about ocd at home. Amongst them Brainlock and the ocd Workbook.
Now I had a severe panic episode that is continuing for several days now. I'm can't do any PA the stuff they it was able to do before, let alone leave the house with our my wife.

The problem is have with self help books is the example cases they almost all contain. They put ideas for new fears and obsessions in my head. For example I've once read about solipsism on a forum and started struggling with it.

I'd really love to read these books without spiking. How do you read and benefit frog these books without adopting the problems?

Thanks for your input.

agnes
06-04-15, 16:51
I think our minds are so adept at adopting new problems., well, I know mine is. Though when I'm reading a self help book I'm far more interested in the case studies that resemble my life and I skip the others. (Incidentally, I had to look up solipsism, I didn't know what it was.)

Claire Weekes wrote a number of books about panic back in the 60s and 70s. Some of the terminology might seem a little dated but many people, including me, think her books are very helpful. She writes about being sensitized, which can happen after an experience of panic. Often, in these states people can become suggestible to so much. I can relate to both these states post panic and I'm wondering if that's where you are at the moment? I've just taken her "self help for your nerves" off my book shelf and, for me, it is a gem of a book...

zeros
06-04-15, 22:55
Sensitized would describe it the best. I'm a nervous wrack and my emotional state is switching every few seconds. It's very exhausirng and scary. I wonder when it will pass and I will stabilize again. What's your experience?

For an hour or so today I was able to get myself back together and I felt okay for the first time in days. Now I'm in bed and I'm falling apart again

What about meditation? Do you have any tips or ideas on how and what kind of meditation I can start with?

Thanks so much for your support.

MyNameIsTerry
07-04-15, 05:54
I have GAD & OCD. But at my worst I have suffered agoraphobia and social anxiety. However, I know its more GAD because in tackling them they went away quite quickly which is not how an agoraphobic tends to respond. GAD is especially bad becauyse it so general but anxiety in any form when heightened to a certain level can start latching onto things. You only have to look at those posting on such as the HA board who also find they struggle with work, social functions, etc. I believe that when its heightened so much, you can develop comorbidities more easily as you start to retreat more & more from daily life.

So, you may find your anxiety trying to latch onto things. This will definately go away as you start to recover because you will be less suspectible. Honestly, being on forums like this can do it, its just the 24/7 anxiety arousal and how it wants to find ways to come out.

Meditation is an excellent one. Its recommended over here by our National Health Service (NHS) and by therapists in the form of Mindfulness. Mindfulness is more than meditation because you perform it outside of this state too, but meditation is usually where you start with a guide.

This is helped me to get rid of loads of my OCD and I saw changes in my attitude too after a while that just seemed to appear.

If you want to understand it more, look for MBSR and MBCT.

MBSR was created by Jon Kabat-Zinn and has loads of studies to prove its effectiveness in the treatment of anxiety & depression, asthma symptom control, cancer symptom control, pain management and even MRI scans of how it changes the brain to decreasing the volume in the brain fear centre whilst increased the compassionate side.

MBCT was co created by professor Mark Williams based on MBSR. Its more a combination of CBT with Mindfulness though. It is NICE recommended for recurrent depression over here (NICE are our clinical excellence people for our health service and provide best practice guidelines). I'm sure it will be for anxiety when they come to review their guidelines again.

I have Mark Williams Finding Peace In A Frantic World book. There are case studies in them but they are mere paragraphs here & there used to highlight how the person was helped. They don't really discuss their issues beyond a very brief mention. Plus all his meditations are avilable free online in the resources section (See Tish's recent "Mindfulness Apps" thread on the Top Tips board where I have pasted the links)

Davit
07-04-15, 06:36
Anxiety and phobia work book by Edmund Bourne. Is good.

zeros
07-04-15, 09:46
Terry, you are a savior. Thanks so much for taking time for me. Brings tears to a grown mans eye's which never happened to me.

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Since I'm quite paralyzed with fear right now, how do I find a way to start with MBSR?
Are there audio files anywhere? I'm sorry I sound a bit stupid but that's Anxiety taking the best of me.

MyNameIsTerry
07-04-15, 11:29
Try these as a starting point Zeroes.

This first thread has some recommendations and I've posted the links for Mindfulness MBCT downloads which are from Mark Williams book.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167627

It is combined with the book to provide you with exercises to perform and sections that explain what you are learning so to get the full benefit, you would need to book to go with it but there is no reason why you can't do the audios. They are taught one per week as the course changes.

One of the exercises, the first one in the book before you start the first weeks audio, I wrote on this thread:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=152764&page=2&highlight=raisin+meditation

Thats the first taste of Mindfulness exercises in this book and used to get you to try doing something you would do on autopilot in a more meaningful way.

MBSR has downloads but Jon Kabat-Zinn charges for them and to honest, it may be cheaper in one of his books.

There is a book written by a guy over here who works with our centre for Mindfulness at Oxford Uni (I think), that combined elements of both MBSR & MBCT. His name is Michael Chaskalson.

Kabat-Zinn's books tend to be more expensive, but Mark Williams and Michael Chaskalson's are cheap overhere on Amazon, half the price of many others at under £5.

Mindfulness can take some time to learn. At first it may make no sense and then it may feel more relaxing but not like it is doing anything, but stick with it because it does come and sometimes you have breakthrough moments with it where things just seem to click. I had several of these, 2 of which made me just sit down on a riverbank and take it all in...the first time I had felt truly free in years. It didn't stay, but it was a glipse of how it could be. I later observed subtle changes in my attitude and my compassion towards others increased.

Perhaps you should also try relaxation exercises because these are more geared towards helping now but in the long term they are not as powerful.

Just incase you are thinking "oh no, it could take ages", its always a possibility but MBSR & MBCT, which are used in clinical settings now, are 8 weeks long. In fact, there are universities/colleges that run research into these methods and from time to time you will see them asking for volunteers on here and other forums.

Good luck! There are others on here who practice who can help you too, not forgetting all those who don't who can also help you with your anxiety & panic. Make sure you have a look around because there is useful info on the boards and the success stories help some people to see recovery is possible.

zeros
08-04-15, 17:23
A week after the traumatic experience I am still not doing a lot better. I've tried Citalopram in the past but I really didn't like the effects. Also the dangers of SSRI use in my opinion are gravely underestimated. This is why I really don't want to use medications in any form and I want to get to where I was as quickly as possible.

You say that Mindfulness is a good place to start. I am looking at the book Terry, I'm looking at the book on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-...J6JDG2WB8PPD1D

Should i buy it with the audio guide?
Problem is that my brain is not functioning properly, so despite my Masters of Science in Business I can't follow what to do and where to start with CBT and Mindfullness.

It would be wonderful if you can tell me as straight forward as possible what I can do to start. Choice is very hard to deal with for me right now. I just want to get better so I regain some of my higher functions. Laying in bed all day while my co-workers are in the office and everyone is wondering what I'm doing and where I am is not helping... :( I feel bad for my wife who is so loving and caring and trying to pull me up just for me to sink into the next wave of anxiety and depression a few minutes later. I suppose these are normal symptoms of anxiety, but the extreme pressure around my temples, burning and tight scalp are worrying me a lot. What can I do if I am just to exhausted to take in the information that I so desperately need to get better?

By the way, I feel incredibly guilty for writing you all these long messages because I feel like I am robbing you of your time. I can't believe you are so kind as to entertain my insanity...

Thanks again Terry

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

hello
healing fear, also by ed bourne was my bible and its got most things covered along with exercises to help, explanations, nutrition, you should be able to get a copy quite cheaply as its been out some years. very good book indeed

best of luck

Paul

Thanks for the recommendation!!
how are you feeling now? are you able to hold a job and enjoy life?
It seems unimaginable. My own home has become a place of trauma and I am afraid that i will forever associate it with the hell i am going through right now.

zeros
08-04-15, 18:49
yes life is completely different now. at my worst I was trapped in the house and at one point was even p*ssing into bottles and tipping them down the sink as going upstairs scared me. i stayed awake 4 days straight because I was convinced I would die in my sleep. I self harmed, drank heavily, saw things that weren`t there, heard growling noises.
not a happy time.

I cant say one thing fixed everything, it was a mixture of exhaustion and just not being up for arguing with life, and gradually pushing myself. and I mean gradual, I had one safe cushion on my sofa so I tried moving to another seat, answering the phone, going to a local shop etc

its a long job mate and I am not an expert, I still have days when my breathing comes in fits like when you`re little and just been shouted at, I still struggle to sleep a full night. but I work, I`m married with a family, I know I am better than to cut myself or drink until I`m sick out of my nose.

it will come to you too, I cant say when but it will. have a tiny glimmer of hope and belief in yourself and it can open lots of doors

best of luck, head up, breathe nice and slow

Paul

That's nice to hear, that it can get better.
The whole day I am just scared out of my mind because I feel mentally foggy, I can't even do the most trivial things let alone read any books with CBT techniques to stop this vicious cycle of thoughts.
I am convinced that the pressure will make me go nuts or psychotic to the point that I will be put into a closed institution with medication never to see daylight again. I know this sounds crazy but to me this is very real right now because I can't even leave my wife alone for one second. it's driving her mad but I don't know what to do. I can't even picture doing anything that I used to do anymore. How can I stop the thoughts? how can I just feel better, even if its for an hour? I don't even feel safe in my own house. I'm developing all kinds of additional fears towards everything and anything. It feels like a complete meltdown. Should I call the ER and get meds, if yes, what kind of meds?

zeros
08-04-15, 20:09
Paul,

I'm at my worst right now. I don't worry about my heart stopping but rather becoming insane/psychotic because everything right now seems so unbearably painful. It's not the peaks that I have a big problem with, it's the consitent feeling of doom and helplessness. Like my life is over and there is noone and nothing than can rescure me from myself. Not even if I am admitted to the hospital will I feel like I can bear the pain that I have right now and I think to myself, where to go? How can i possibly survive this condition while feeling like I do. My mind doesn't even stop for a second.

I made an Appt. with my Therapist for the 20th of April - he didn't have any appts before that date. I am terrified of the next day if it will be like today. How can there be anything worse in the entire world than feeling like this?

Somehow I have also convinced myself that noone actually has the same condition as I do. I feel like what you all are describing are panic attacks, while I get them too it's rather the constant feeling of abysmal misery that doesn't seem to lift is what is getting to me. I've got myself in so deep that I can't even track the thoughts never mind address them. it's all automatic :(

MyNameIsTerry
09-04-15, 11:42
A week after the traumatic experience I am still not doing a lot better. I've tried Citalopram in the past but I really didn't like the effects. Also the dangers of SSRI use in my opinion are gravely underestimated. This is why I really don't want to use medications in any form and I want to get to where I was as quickly as possible.

You say that Mindfulness is a good place to start. I am looking at the book Terry, I'm looking at the book on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-...J6JDG2WB8PPD1D

Should i buy it with the audio guide?
Problem is that my brain is not functioning properly, so despite my Masters of Science in Business I can't follow what to do and where to start with CBT and Mindfullness.

It would be wonderful if you can tell me as straight forward as possible what I can do to start. Choice is very hard to deal with for me right now. I just want to get better so I regain some of my higher functions. Laying in bed all day while my co-workers are in the office and everyone is wondering what I'm doing and where I am is not helping... :( I feel bad for my wife who is so loving and caring and trying to pull me up just for me to sink into the next wave of anxiety and depression a few minutes later. I suppose these are normal symptoms of anxiety, but the extreme pressure around my temples, burning and tight scalp are worrying me a lot. What can I do if I am just to exhausted to take in the information that I so desperately need to get better?

By the way, I feel incredibly guilty for writing you all these long messages because I feel like I am robbing you of your time. I can't believe you are so kind as to entertain my insanity...

Thanks again Terry.

No, thats ok, write away. We all know how bad anxiety & panic get, we've all been through some horrible times with and many on here still are.

I remember how hopeless I felt and how I had many suicidal thoughts that I would never do because of how it would affect my family and even that at times made me feel angry because I couldn't stop the pain right now and then guilty again for even thinking something like that about my loved ones. Its just a rollercoaster of emotion and it feels unbareable.

However, I really can't emphasize this enough, it can & does get better. I'm much better and so are plenty of others on here. I can think of a couple of people right now who I have been speaking to for about 6 months and they are far better. And guess what? I can definately remember them saying things like this. They didn't think it was possible and now they are happily typing away on their progress threads about things they are doing and as the outsider, I know they couldn't have done any of that when we all talking to each other 6 months earlier. You have to remind people to look back at their threads on here, and others say this too (thats where I picked up from) because they are suddenly shocked, happy & proud that they have come so far.

That can be you.

I can't influence you into what to buy, I wouldn't feel right. The question is whether you want it now or can wait for postage, do you dislike electronic versions & prefer paper copies? If you can answer them, you have your answer for any book. Your wife can always have a look for you and check the reviews over to see what people are saying.

I know its hard to make decisions or even think straight, its hard to imagine until you go through it and struggle with basic daily chores. I struggled just brushing my teeth or washing at my worst, I was so anxious and believed anything & everything was a possible trigger.

If you don't feel able to read & take in the exercises, then maybe your wife can help you by taking that role? This way she also gets to understand it.

Aside from reading a few chapters, a lot of which is background, its then a matter of doing a gentle exercise with chocolate, one with raisins, and then listening to the first track and trying to follow it.

You could try the track on its own to see if you can take it in. For this, use that downloads off that other thread I posted because those are the ones that come with that book.

If you can't take that in, then maybe some guided visualiation may help? These should be all over YouTube and you just sit back or lie back and listen whilst they attempt to relax you and guide you through seeing some things in your minds eye.

MyNameIsTerry
11-04-15, 09:35
at my worst I was trapped in the house and at one point was even p*ssing into bottles and tipping them down the sink as going upstairs scared me.

I went through something like that, Paul. When I first had a breakdown I would come downstairs but be afraid of going back up until bedtime. I would go upstairs to get something and be afraid and want to get back downstairs again.

I was waking up in panic back then as well.

I didn't have this in my later, and worse, relapse though.

Its admirable to see you talk about it "warts n'all", thats really important for others to see because so much of these conditions is very embarassing to us. I remember at the charity walk-in groups a lady in her 50's found it hard to talk but felt she could try after she sat and listened to some of us who had been going for a while. She was very embarassed and in tears at one point about not bathing for weeks and as she said it, several of us (me included) all nodded and then told her we had been through that too. I don't mind admitting it, I didn''t shave for weeks, I struggled having a wash without some prompting, doing my teeth, even going for a number 2 due to the sensations!

zeros
12-04-15, 21:02
hey,

I started reading "When panic Attacks" by Dr. David Burns.
I find it very technical, rigid and following the homework put forth in it seems extremely demanding. What's your experience with this book?