PDA

View Full Version : Speech problems

steph25
06-04-15, 17:38
Saying wrong words.

For the past few weeks I've been struggling over sentences and saying wrong words like saying 'country' instead of 'company' and joining words together like 'freedium' instead of medium and free.

It's not all the time but a few times during the day (definitely worse when I'm thinking about it). I'm not on any medication but I do suffer from anxiety, which has been much better in recent weeks so if this was anxiety why would it happen now?

Is this a sign of something serious? My main health fear is brain tumours (I suffer from headaches, which also have died down in recent weeks)

steph25
07-04-15, 06:16
Anyone???

Gary A
07-04-15, 07:20
It's unlikely to be caused by a brain tumour, you'd have to assume that a brain tumour would be causing this to happen on a constant basis and probably wouldn't be exacerbated by you thinking about it. Brain tumours don't tend to be so selective. I think it's worth taking this concern to your doctor, though, as it's certainly not healthy to be worrying about things like this.

MyNameIsTerry
07-04-15, 07:42
Anxiety disorders and depression cause issues with cognitive processes and memory.

Ever since starting mine I have had difficulty remembering things or finding the right word for something.

Something to also remember is that all people sometimes say the wrong word or pronouce things wrong. Of course, they aren't on the lookout for issues like we are so we are bound to notice it more.

If you do it more when you are tired, then this is when I have struggled more with finding the right words or pronoucing them incorrectly. My lack of recall has been more when I've been more anxious.

.Poppy.
08-04-15, 18:07
It's common - especially if you are speaking quickly and/or are consciously (or unconsciously!) worried about it.

I studied speech pathology and really, it's very common to mis-speak or even have a stutter. If it's happening with every single sentence, that would be an indication of a problem - and even then, not necessarily a brain tumor. I had a migraine about two years ago where I would attempt to say certain words and the wrong ones would come out, no matter how hard I tried...it was all because of the migraine.

steph25
11-04-15, 00:45
Thank you so much for all of your replies.

I think you're all right, I've still been struggling a bit but I have some good days and some bad days with my speech so I think it's definitely because I'm thinking about it rather than it being serious.