PDA

View Full Version : cbt

worrywart29
07-04-15, 21:51
I finally decided to make an appointment for cbt and was able to get one for this coming thursday. I feel like I'm progressively getting worse every ache and pain is something sinister I can't live like this any more. The end of the road for me came when I just sneezed about three times and I googled excessive sneezing causes it was at that moment I realized I'm getting worse with this whole anxiety issue. Initially I didn't want to attend therapy or take meds because I felt like I could fight it on my own but I see it's not as easy as I thought. My whole day is consumed with me thinking any moment something is gonna happen and I can't live like this any more. Any tips on What to expect during a session will be appreciated also does anyone attend without taking meds I really don't want to be put on meds for this.

wnsos
08-04-15, 02:54
You can attend without meds, but a lot of therapists (non CBT at least) say sometimes, depending on the personality type, the best combination is meds and therapy. The thing about CBT is its a lot of work. Psychology and counselling is emotionally taxing but CBT centres around your behaviour and changing it. It's a two way street essentially, but in that if you put the work in, you'll get the benefits.

In the mean time have you downloaded the free HA booklet provided by NMP? The link is in the stickies somewhere, if you don't find it I'll have a look next time I'm on my computer. You can also make a list of goals, like what you want to get out of it. In the very beginning when I was waist deep in my HA, I remember I kept writing "I don't want to feel these aches anymore, if I didn't have them I wouldn't worry." But it's a self fulfilling cycle. So make a list of things to do ie stop googling, work on some CBT on your own til your apt comes through, and really I think you've done the first step which is the biggest in admitting it's a problem. It sounds like nothing but it's massive! Many people go years without realising it even if they know, you're taking steps forward. It's a start and CBT will help but you need to focus your energy on the acceptance and then work hope this makes sense since its late and I'm on my phone. Hope it answered some questions!

worrywart29
08-04-15, 03:34
Thank you so much for the encouraging words.

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-15, 04:40
The best thing to do is write things down. Your therapist will talk to you and use specific questions to get what they need as well as ask you to fill in standard monitoring forms used by IAPT. Don't worry about the harm assessment ones, we all have to fill in about whether we could harm ourselves and why/why not, its so they can make sure you have the best care from them as well as a legal responsibility.

At first it will be more about understanding what you suffer from/with and education about anxiety, much of which you will have probably already read about on here by now. There could be some homework involved, but its nothing heavy e.g. listing symptoms, thoughts, when things occur, triggers, etc and rating things like these so the therapist can determine what is a safer way to start.

After that it becomes more goal based but all goals you are 100% involved in setting, your therapist will try to steer you in the right direction.

Finally it will be about self monitoring & relapse prevention. This final part may not always have much emphasis if CBT isn't going to provide a significant recovery but don't worry because to be honest, you will learn this stage anyway.

Write down how you feel now, any intrusive thoughts & content, what triggers you, how it makes you feel when triggered, any patterns. Its easier to talk through a list than to remember it in a situation that you will feel anxious about. And we all feel anxious at first, give it a good few sessions thinking you are likely to be anxious because you don't want to expect not to be and then feel like you are struggling. People post this on here, but we all know how hard it is to even see a GP so its only common sense that a therapist will be the same. They are trained to handle this.

Also, the relationship between patient & therapist is very important. If you are uncomfortable with them, tell them. They can try to find you someone else. If you look at some of the Codes of Ethics of the reputable associations they cover this and insist the therapist be non judgemental throughout therapy and help to facilitate a move if needed.

CBT has evidence to show it is as effective as antidepressants in relapse prevention so many people don't have it whilst on meds. It is often a combined approach though and if your anxiety doesn't respond then its likely it will be recommended but it's your choice whether to take them or not. At least that's how it works in the UK.