PDA

View Full Version : Terrible foot symptoms - can this be anxiety?

montos
09-04-15, 04:39
So I haven't posted here in quite sometime since I've been feeling much better, but…
About two weeks ago I woke up in the morning after having a bad dream about my feet burning. When I woke up I started thinking to myself what if my feet actually start burning and so of course they did. Now that's kind of a chicken or the egg thing, did I wake up because my feet were actually burning or did my feet start burning because I thought they were?

So I had intermittent burning feet along with some pins and needles and occasional stabbing pains. I went to see my doctor about four days in and he thought it might be peripheral neuropathy caused by my heart medication. This of course freaked me out and things got worse.
I went to see my acupuncturist, who is also a medical doctor and he was very confident acupuncture could help. For the rest of that day and half of the next I had no symptoms whatsoever.
The symptoms came back with a vengeance and were bad all day long but went away when I was laying down or going to sleep. I would wake up fine and then have symptoms starting shortly after. Sometimes burning feet sometimes itching around my ankles sometimes a sunburn feeling all the way up my legs.
Over the Easter weekend I went skiing and had a great time. On the way out to the ski hill my feet were burning as bad as ever but for the next three days the symptoms disappeared entirely, so much so that when I followed up with my doctor I told him I didn't want any further testing because I felt it was all over and done with.

About an hour after my doctor's visit, the symptoms came back and have been with me ever since for the last two days.

Does this sound like anxiety? The symptoms go away when I'm feeling good or get distracted and when I'm relaxing going to sleep. When I think about them they seem to come back very strongly. I've had all of these sensations before but never so strongly. I'm going to go back and see my doctor in a few days.

Has anyone else experienced this? A sudden onset of burning in your feet that comes and goes and seems to move around a little bit? I've had anxiety on and off for 20 years but it's been very well-controlled for the last couple and I have never experienced symptoms like this before.

Can anyone relate? Are these anxiety symptoms?

Monty

anxiousme
09-04-15, 11:33
Hi Montos
Yes it certainly can. Check out the thread started by Charming Man called feet problems. If you click on my user name you can find it that way. The distraction thing you mention is exactly what I have. Worried about my leg on way to play tennis. Had very long match didn't think about it. Then hour after playing started feeling it again. Anyway have a look at the thread.

Cheers

Tish
10-04-15, 06:44
I've been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and it started much the same as you've described but sadly, it then spread to the rest of my body.
I think once you have it, it doesn't go away as it's nerve damage that causes the pain. There are various medications you can try, my neuro suggested Duloxetine and this eases the pain and works as an anti-d because the condition can really get you down. I prefer not to take powerful drugs and use vitB complex along with alpha lipoid acid.
Although the condition won't go away, I too find relief if I'm concentrating hard on something else. I'm a crafter and can get lost in a world of my own while I'm working. If I stop and start to feel sorry for myself then I consequently feel much worse.

montos
10-04-15, 07:29
Tish,

Has your PN been diagnosed by a doctor? What tests did they do? Does it get better or go away at times like mine seems to? Do they know what caused it? Does it bother you when you sleep?
Though I really do appreciate your answer it has really freaked me out...

Monty

Tish
10-04-15, 19:19
So sorry if I've frightened you - this is always a worry when answering someone with health anxiety.
After googling my symptoms I thought I had fibromyalgia but the neuro I saw (who diagnosed me) said he thinks it's PN. He couldn't be 100% sure as I won't go for an MRI scan.. that would freak me out!
I'm still active but I just have to pace myself now. I have no trouble at night time simply because I've totally accepted the strange burning sensations, numbness etc and ignore it. Before my diagnosis I must admit, I was out of my mind with worry! I'm just grateful that it's not MS or MND as that was my greatest worry.
The neuro just tested my reflexes, watched me walking to check my gait and asked questions to come to his idea of a diagnosis. You just have to put your faith in them because they see so many cases, day in, day out.

montos
11-04-15, 23:42
Tish,

Do you find the symptoms get worse with anxiety? For me, I can't tell if the anxiety causes the symptoms or if the symptoms cause anxiety. Or both!
I'm out of my mind with worry right now and I don't know how I can continue to function like this

Tish
12-04-15, 18:06
Tish,

Do you find the symptoms get worse with anxiety? For me, I can't tell if the anxiety causes the symptoms or if the symptoms cause anxiety. Or both!
I'm out of my mind with worry right now and I don't know how I can continue to function like this

I can only speak for myself and I would say that YES, worrying all the time makes the symptoms worse. It's bound to, if that's all you think about. The mind is very powerful. That's why it's important to try and just get on with your life. I don't suffer with health anxiety per se but it's only natural to worry when you have scary symptoms.
I think you need a proper diagnosis. I'm no expert, I'd never even heard of this before and can only speak of my own experience.
I DO understand your fear. I've been there and all I can say is that keeping your mind occupied on other things does help.

Toronto girl
23-04-15, 22:04
Tish, I am wondering if you had an EMG or any nerve tests to get your diagnosis. Can your doctor tell through testing that you have nerve damage? Has it affected your feet? They usually don't make this type of diagnosis without some definitive testing, do they? Do you have trouble walking? I guess I wonder if in your case If it can be something more benign like anxiety?

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Tush, what was the cause of your symptoms ?

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Sorry autocorrected to tush. Meant Tish