PDA

View Full Version : signed off work, dont know what to do! :(

Sophloux
09-04-15, 20:39
Hi I work in a call centre for HMRC. I have worked here for 11 months. In that time I've had loads of abusive customers and suicidal customers etc. This was making me have panic stacks and I got really depressed but still went to work.

I was coping with this all to a degree because I had good support from my manager but then my manager got changed a few months ago. I can't go into details but the way I was treated by the new manager caused me to get more stressed and after 3/4 months I finally had a break down from the pressure of it all.

This was 2 weeks ago now and I am due back the week after next. I don't feel any better for the time off, as work have been contacting me and pressuring me to go back, I've also had 3 appointments at work which has made me physically sick and I can't sleep.

I want to go back, I'm good at the job when I'm in the right frame of mind and I have made lot of friends there, but I'm not ready yet. My counsellor has advised me not to rush my self. But work have made it clear if I'm not back within a set time frame I will be having a formal meeting.

I am seeing the gp on Monday because I'm scared of feeling like this for much longer, it's awful..

What should i do?

AnxietyDJ
16-04-15, 09:39
Hey, I'm very sorry to hear what you've been going through - it sounds just like me... I was also signed off from work for a while due to my anx and depression and have now been working reduced hours from home for the past months.

Firstly, (as far as I am aware) your employer cannot sack you for the situation you are in, especially if you have been signed off by your GP (or another medical professional). I would definitely agree with your counsellor and say that you shouldn't attempt to rush yourself back to work, or force yourself into any situations that may set you back further with feeling poorly. Secondly, they should not in any way be pressuring you to go back - that seems very unlawful to me. Don't let them bully you... They have no right to.

If you want to find out exactly what your rights are when it comes to being signed off for a while, and whether you can do anything if your work continue to harass you, you can contact bodies such as the citizens advice bureau for advice.

I hope you start to feel better soon! :)

Annie0904
16-04-15, 18:30
If you have had anxiety or stress written on your sick notes then your employer has a duty of care to you under the 2010 Equal rights act. They should be meeting with you to do a stress management plan. You may also be asked to see Occupational health. Are you in a union?

Davit
16-04-15, 18:41
You are missing the point. You cannot change the work situation, all you can do is change how you see it. If you have a week you can do that, three weeks would be better but you can continue changing thought patterns when you are back at work. This does usually work.