PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Health Anxiety

Beefany
09-04-15, 21:55
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/17/health-and-wellbeing-anxiety

Interesting article, written from a sufferer's perspective.

What do you think?

Emilym80
10-04-15, 00:17
Sounds very familiar!

Jbaine
10-04-15, 00:28
Spot on. Especially the part about being a mother and wanting to be around for our children.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-15, 05:05
Looks a good article.

As a GAD & OCD sufferer, reading that is like talking to many of you guys & girls on here and seeing your challenges.

I think the GP statement is a generalisation though. Its not that you don't trust your doctors, its that you don't trust anybody isn't it? This seems to be the case to me because otherwise when threads are answered, the issue wouldn't resurface or a new issue wouldn't start up, unless there was at least a fresh trigger?

People stopped trusting their GP's a while back and its nothing to do with HA, its a social change. We no longer see doctors as senior members of society who come from rich households because many of us are also doctors now. Society has changed. Working class people are no longer subservient to the middle classes and our rights have greatly changed. All classes get a piece of the capitalist pie thesedays. That and the fact we also see failing standards so people question their treatment.

Google is a bad thing for people with HA, thats certain but Google just does what it does and its how its used. Before then, as I think FMP pointed out on a thread discussed about this weeks ago, we had medical dictionaries. Has anyone ever seen One Foot In The Grave and seen Margaret telling Victor not to look up his marks in the book?

This comes back to Cognitive Distortions and obsessiveness, etc. I can use Google for health issues quite easily and if I didn't I would still be stuck with my GP's bland diagnosis of GAD when I clearly have OCD as I had so many rituals I was seriously struggling at my worst. If I find something physical and look for possibles, I discount all the life or death stuff straight and find something more likely because I have don't have a problem with that distortion. I also researched the benefits of Omega 3 after reading threads on here and my mood has been the best it has for the last 4+ years which is more than Duloxetine has done for me in that respect.