PDA

View Full Version : Teenager struggling with anxiety/panic

bun
12-04-15, 23:10
Hello, new here. I'm a 15 year old teenage girl and decided to join this forum as I was feeling pretty isolated. I haven't felt 100% me for the past 3 or 4 months ever since I had a panic attack back in February or so. I had experienced a few panic attacks in the past, but the anxiety would only remain with me until the evening where I would sleep, wake up fine and normal again without remembering the panic attack the day prior. But the panic attack I had a few months ago came with the awful effect of derealisation, which I had never had before. As those with DR will already know, it is truly one of the most awful things to face, possibly even worse than the panic attack itself. Recently I've even had what I think is very minor depersonalisation (I looked in the mirror the other day and had a moment of 'is this me?' but now I am fine with it. Another time I began to think 'am I just a voice in another body?' which gave one of those bursts of dread but I shrugged it off). The panic attack I had was at school. It was so spontaneous and weird; I was drawing something and then suddenly I realised I wasn't listening to the teacher or aware of my surroundings so my heart began racing, I felt disorientated, slightly dizzy, in a dream-like state (DR is the worst feeling ever) and I felt that I HAD to escape the classroom. The lesson had 10 minutes remaining and I managed to last, albeit feeling absolutely terrible. I came home feeling anxious, panicky, like I never had before. I had to call my parents to pick me up and I dislike doing that as I feel like a slight burden to them asking for lifts. I felt that I couldn't go back into that classroom and requested not to go for the next few lessons. At my school I am grateful that they are there for those struggling with issues like this. I finally went back into the classroom, and I still don't feel comfortable there but hey, at least I'm doing it.

I was analysing how I felt every minute. I believe I nearly developed a form of OCD from checking my pulse every so often to check my heart was normal (luckily I noticed I was doing it and really tried to stop doing it), and I'm still struggling with the habit of dermophagia (skin biting) which I never had before. I went home that day trying everything to sleep properly and convince myself to go to school the next day. I'm glad I did and that I pushed myself. From then on I kept having thoughts like "am I dreaming?" "is this real?" "am I going to hurt someone, maybe even kill someone?" which obviously just brought on more fear. I went overboard, researching schizophrenia, psychosis, everything, which scared me even more. But now I know that it's just the anxiety. I feared the state that DR brings on and that I would be cut off from the world. Now I am not as afraid and I know I have control. I took little steps to help me improve, and started walking the dog alone again, going out with friends and walking places alone again like I used to. I used to feel anxious almost every moment of the day, but after a day out to a big city waiting for my sister's university interview, I felt so relieved. I nearly backed out from going as I thought I couldn't do a whole day in an uncomfortable place. I was in the car on the way back and it hit me - this is what feeling normal feels like again. My heart rate was normal, I realised I wasn't analysing anything and I felt so content. Ever since then I have felt more and more normal. Oh, and I even requested counselling from the school but so far that hasn't been the most helpful (I unfortunately only had 1 session in the course of 3 months). I would really like to buy the book "At Last a Life" as I've heard this is extremely useful to those suffering from panic attacks and DR/DP (if anyone has read his, please let me know your thoughts).

And this panic attack was for no reason at all. This is what angers me - there is no real explanation for it. The next few weeks were tough as I wasn't used to this; I wasn't used to feeling not normal and not having an analytic thought circuiting my mind nearly 100% of the time. I still hope that one day I will regain the feeling of 100% normality and not have to think and analyse everything I do. Those following weeks I felt I couldn't be on my own- I had to have the security of my parents or sister around. My parents haven't always been the most supportive or understanding, but I love them nevertheless for helping me, and my sister and I really bonded during the times I needed someone there. For that, I am grateful.

This whole thing has made me realise that I took for granted feeling normal, feeling happy every day. I know I will get better (time has already shown how I have improved!) and hopefully get back to my old self again. I don't struggle with sleeping at all now, but those first few days after the attack I really could not sleep well. Sleeping is actually the most peaceful part of my day haha, alongside knitting which helps me through (highly recommend it). But I still wake up sometimes wondering how I feel in the morning which is part of the habit now - a habit I'd like to break. I feel like that is the kind of thing that perpetuates the cycle of anxiety and not feeling normal; you constantly check how you feel and what your surroundings are like and it's a hard habit to break. I'm hoping that the school counsellor can help me with this kind of thing really - is this what CBT caters to? And please could someone let me know what CBT is all about and if they have had CBT, especially if it is for helping with DR/DP. Thank you in advance.

Now I am thankful that I haven't faced any full blown panic attacks since, but every so often I get a burst of dread for a couple of seconds and then I feel OK again after. But those bursts of panic scare me and I feel so excluded from the world. I'm lucky in that I can bring myself back again on my own and I'm OK afterwards, and I haven't felt a 'burst' in awhile. I'm actually doing ok now but I still don't feel 100%. I'd say I'm about 80% there - miles better than what I felt before. I try not to put pressure on myself by setting goals for how normal I feel, which I did a lot after my first panic attack (I.e. let's make this go away within 2 weeks. It has now been 4 months, so it really did take some time).

What I would say to those who are struggling a lot, and I'm no expert here but please know that it gets better with time. It takes strength and patience to rebuild confidence and reduce the anxiety. I am still learning not to be afraid of the panic state, but I have tried a technique where I will for the panic/dread moments to get worse and all of a sudden you feel no fear anymore because it can't get any worse than your peak of panic.

I'm also worrying about exams (which are a month away) and if I have a panic attack in the exam, but worrying further that if I tell the counsellor, they won't take me seriously ( I don't know why I worry about that kind of thing because she is very supportive). I will be honest, I never used to be a worrier, but this has just brought out all of the anxiety within me. Already I know that this is a very supportive community, so thank you for reading through this - if you read all of it haha. I'm sorry it's so long, I just really had to express myself. 4 months ago and I couldn't even bare to research anxiety because I was so afraid it would induce an attack. Now I can readily talk about how I feel and hopefully will have the chance to when I go back to school after this holiday and speak to the counsellor.
Thanks for reading, it means a lot.

fduop
14-04-15, 00:49
Bun,

I can really sympathise with what you are going through, because nearly everything you wrote about, I've gone through myself. In fact one of my first panic attacks was while I was taking a test while at a training school many years ago. I can't speak too much on your problems with DR/DP, but I can say I've had a few out of body type episodes at the beginning of my struggle.

Another symptom I can identify with is constantly worrying and checking my blood pressure and pulse. Unlike you I am a bit older (grandpa old) but I know it isn't easy staying away from those thoughts. If I could give any advice it would be speak to your counselor. From reading your post you are a very bright young person. Don't let this situation make you think you are anything less. There are good treatments and practices out there to help you overcome this.

As a parent, I hope that you can speak openly with your parents about what is going on. While we can be a pain, mom and dad's can be pretty good listeners and supporters. I spent too many years keeping my panic/anxiety to myself and even though I'd have periods of wellness. By containing my fears it only allowed them to fester and come back.

Well that's my two-cents worth of advice, Bun you take care you are not alone.

bun
15-04-15, 14:48
Hello, thank you so much for replying and taking the time to do so. I was just wondering if you ever managed to escape the negative thinking cycle and actually was able to achieve some time where panic or anxiety wasn't on your mind in some shape or form.
Thanks for your kind words too. The constant pulse checking became habitual but I'm glad someone else can identify with this too, it's very frustrating as checking it will only worsen the situation.
The advice on containing fears is great; I really hope I will be able to identify the underlying fear through counselling and do something about it. And thankfully my parents have been nice about it, alongside teachers at school etc. Take care as well.

greg123
15-04-15, 16:05
Bun

I could have written this myself.

I still have derealization on and off, especially in a state of panic and I think it is one of the most terrifying things I have ever experienced. It's very hard not to feel terrified when you feel that way but it is possible.

I have read the book ''at last a life'' and I would recommend it. Also another good book is ''Feeling unreal'' by Jeffrey Abugel and Daphne Simeon, which I would also recommend.

Thank you for the positive post and I'm glad you are starting to get some control on your anxiety/panic.

:yesyes:

fduop
16-04-15, 00:05
Bun

To answer your question about escaping the negative thoughts, I'd have to say two things are currently helping me now. One is a combination of two medications (prozac/buspar) that I take. The other is my use of meditation to help me combat my feelings of dread.

As far as medication that is totally up to the doctors, you, and your parents. All I can say is in my situation the above combination is working after a bit of tweaking with the dosages. But now meditation is something that I feel safe in recommending to you now.

To help in understanding the science behind meditation and mindfulness I recommend getting a copy of the book Mindfulness: Finding Peace in a Frantic World, written by Mark Williams and Danny Penman. It has been a great help to me finding peace in the turmoil of anxiety and panic.

Another book that is much less "clinical" I recommend is Fear by Thich Nhat Hanh. Thich is a Buddhist monk who lives in France, his words and the how he explains meditation and mindfulness are so calming just by themselves. This and his other books are well worth the read. Also note he has videos on Youtube under Plum Village Monastery. Note that these books can be found on Amazon and Kindle, which I use.

I don't mean to sound like some New Ager, but I will say focusing on your breathing and letting go of those 10 million thoughts going through your mind is quite liberating. Especially for an old goat like me.

I wish you nothing but the best, I have some posts at a thread called, Doing it by the Spoonful, if you want to read some more about my adventures. That care Bun, remember there are people around you that love and care for you.

bun
16-04-15, 17:43
@greg123 -
Hello. It's so relieving when you discover others that go through the same things as you do. DR is incredibly off-putting but I find that acknowledging that it can't hurt you or harm you is so reassuring. In part of a CBT booklet by Robin Hall I read about a 'surface thought' process and it gave the example of feeling unreal and why it really shouldn't be an issue when you dig into why we fear that. It helped massively so I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the recommendations of the books, I will take a look!
Wishing you all the best too.

@fduop -
Just went to read your post and it's so incredible to see you documenting it because the way you view the anxiety is both realistic and positive. For example, I like how you summarise your thoughts and approach at the end of each update. The embedded quotes of positivity and motivation really help.
Thank you for answering my questions. I think I would like to look into meditation, the books you recommended, alongside CBT.

UPDATE: Yesterday I went to my school head of year to discuss the potential of panic attacks in the exam and started crying (very unlike me), but I'm so glad she was supportive about it and reassured me that if I didn't worry about that happening, it won't happen. Felt such a relief afterwards which I think was due to the outlet and the crying etc. I believe that I will be fine in the exams. Throughout the course of 2 months, I have 22 exams to face. Scary but I can do this and hope to keep updating every few exams.
In case I did start getting more stressed about the actual exam, the head of year said they can arrange different seating for me in the exam if I chose to. I've been thinking about it.. A part of me wants to face the exam just like everyone else will, in my allocated seat. Another part of me wants that little bit of comfort, like being sat to the side in case I have to leave for a minute. I just don't know what to do, but I think the former option is what I want.

Slightly negative little thought I had about death scared me earlier today (didn't used to be frightened of it and I still don't believe I am but a tiny bit of fear is natural/common, right?), but I know how to shrug that off and I know I'll be alright. There's really no point worrying about dying and I've accepted that. I just think to myself: I've been blessed with the privilege of living, so why would I bother thinking about it ending?

I signed up for the 30-day free trial for CBT online and so far it has been so great. My mindset is already changing and it's so weird that I'm actually challenging myself to positively anticipate symptoms of panic to arise so I can put into practice what I've learned. I do try to remind myself though... baby steps!
I already cannot thank Robin Hall enough for creating such a wonderful, commercially available resource to help people. The course explained to me that I wasn't being faced with the panic itself, but rather something called the 'anticipatory panic/anxiety'.
Laying down at night yesterday was quite odd. It was almost as if I intentionally brought myself almost into panic mode but I felt so in control. I noticed a few symptoms and calmed myself within 20 seconds or so. Acknowledged them, challenged them, they went away, and I drifted off into a sleep.

I woke up today and had a great day at school; I focused on talking to my friends and really enjoying the lessons like I used to. So far I haven't experienced any anticipatory anxiety! The aftermath of the panic started to make me hate school but I've learned to appreciate it again despite it still being a bit of a chore.

fduop
16-04-15, 23:52
Bun, I'll quickly say you got a good head on your shoulders. It does me good to read how a young person like yourself is working to overcome what you have been handed.

Believe it or not I can related to facing school exams at my age. In June I'll be returning to school to finish the last two courses in my MBA program. So stay focused on the moment and you will do fine. And don't allow yourself to get too isolated from your friends. One issue that I suffer with still is avoiding people and isolating myself. Being alone sometimes isn't a bad thing, but avoiding people and obligations a lot can lead to deepening anxiety and panic.

molliesunshine
17-04-15, 18:59
Bun first of all you seem to be very mature and dealing with whats going on right now very well. You describe panic and the whole derealisation thing better than I could and I can totally relate to having panic in class and that awful feeling that you need to escape. I'd say you're doing the right thing by confiding in your teacher about your worries and panic, I've found its always better to get it into the open a little bit. It's probably a confusing time for your parents, I know at first mine used to get really angry with me, they'd had no experience with anxiety and panic and probably thought I just wanted to bunk off college! But over time they learned more about it and my mum became my rock - and still is!! Please don't worry about what your counsellor will think, its his or her job to be there and listen to your problems and guide you to the right direction. And don't worry about the future, I'm sitting my final university exam in 3 weeks time, I'm absolutely terrified because like you I'm having a tough time, but I'm positive we can get through it (you too fduop)!!

bun
20-04-15, 20:19
@fduop
I wish you the best of luck in your exams.

@molliesunshine
Thank you. Yeah, I can definitely relate with the parents thing, but at the same time can understand why they can't sympathize as well (I personally think that anxiety and panic is never fully understood unless you have experienced it yourself). I think it's great that your mum has really helped you!
Still awaiting the counselling at school so I think I'm going to have to remind them again about my request. Good luck in your exams too!

UPDATE:
Recently I have been feeling no panic but increased anxiety levels, which I've pinpointed down to the stress of exams and things. I've also had some more unwanted thoughts about death yet again which I just have to let go of. Hopefully the counsellor can help me with this. It's not the kind of feeling where I'm scared of death itself (I'm completely at ease with the process, and I will not let these feelings and thoughts control the way I look at life or what I do), but I get small tints of anxiety thinking about the unfathomable afterlife. I really don't want to 'trigger' anyone in case people read this, but I was just wondering if it's normal to have a time in your life where you contemplate things like this? There are times where I'm sat thinking and I feel indifferent to thoughts like these and I feel content, but there are also times where I feel afraid. It's ok to feel this way.

"Think... What can I do today that can make me happy and make my life the best life I can possibly live?"

fduop
20-04-15, 21:08
Bun, a little over a year ago, I had my daughter drove me to the emergency room one night. And out of all the other times I've done it myself, they actually kept me this time for five days. Each time before I "felt" something wrong I usually get scolded and sent home. But it didn't stop me from "feeling" ill.

The one time I went and they admitted me, for whatever reason I "felt" peace. To be honest, I don't why I'm telling you this, but for a long time I feared death. Even now, I am no fan of death nor do I welcome it. I just believe I got too much to do.

I guess the thing is, now as I look over my many years of living and have had ones very close to me pass away. I still know there is a connection between me and them. Even on just a physical level, I carry a part of them within me, just as my children carry a part of me and my wife. Bun, I don't know if any of this makes sense. But when I consider how we all in a way are interconnected, why should I fear death?

You see, when I look in the mirror I see my father. When I talk to my little brother, I hear our dad. Do you get my meaning? I truly believe in the idea that there is no life or death, that things simply continue, so why fear it?