PDA

View Full Version : Suicide in the media

theharvestmouse
13-04-15, 18:54
I saw that the subject of suicide was once again mentioned on the BBC news today, particularly with men. There was also a programme on late one night a few weeks back about suicide. I find myself drawn to watch anything about suicide but sometimes it's not a good thing as it makes me question myself.

It makes me wonder if I am the typical type who is prone to suicide, I've had suicidal thoughts but never tried anything. But now and again I still have the thoughts about doing it, I was at a level crossing the other day in my van and the thought popped in my head how easy it would be just to end my life.

It's not that I want to every day, some days I love life and am content with it even if I am still struggling with anxiety.

lior
13-04-15, 19:04
Are you in therapy at all? It's quite useful to talk through those things to reassure you.

I've been suicidal before. They do worry about you if you have plans to kill yourself, but not so much if it's just a thought that pops into your head every now and then.

Feeling that way is a symptom of other problems. It isn't a feeling which you want... so make sure that you look after yourself, don't let it fester.

theharvestmouse
13-04-15, 21:56
Not had therapy for over a year, but had a few courses of CBT in previous years. The feelings come and go, one day it seems madness to even contemplate it then on a bad day it comes into my head.

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-15, 04:49
I don't know what others think but I believe there is several categories to suicidal thoughts and there must be at least 3 because one is intrusive thoughts and another is just being so frustrated with anxiety and wanting it to end. The third would be more the true people who could want to take action, those really depressed. I don't know but I have experienced the first two categories many times.

The thought at the crossing was definitely an intrusive thought as it popped up out of nowhere. I used to get them to jump when standing on a bridge.

Beating intrusive thoughts is all about being non judgemental and not reacting. Eventually the subconscious learns they are no longer valid thoughts and they lessen and you find your reaction is no longer an anxious one. All people experience them though as proven in studies, its just that they don't realise it.

Davit
14-04-15, 05:20
There is talk of legalizing euthanasia in Canada. There are people in pain so bad there should be that option. Still you won't be able to walk through the door and say kill me. That will just get you stuck in the psych ward. The other day going to town I thought if I just switch lanes I wonder if that B train. (two trailer truck, net weight 100 tonne) would even feel me. So here is a question for you. If something has to stop before it can go the other way does your car stop when a fly hits it. People actually argue the possibility.

I have some pretty strong pills, Morphine. I have thought, they are small, I could just swallow them all. They are just thoughts like the opposite, Mowing close to the pond it enters my mind If I'm not careful I could tip into the pond. This thought isn't going to make me do it. In most cases if you are thinking suicide you are probably thinking I need to change this thinking rather than doing it. But if you have a rational plan then you better get help.

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-15, 05:34
Davit, I sometimes think these thoughts are connected to our self protection but that if has somehow become warped in the generation process. So, taking the OP's example the thought should "I had better not drive onto the crossing" becomes warped into an intrusive thought about actually doing it.

I think it's only a matter of time before assisted suicide is legal over here too and as long as they can ensure it is done without motive of a third party and the person is in a fit mental state with an illness or disability on an available list, its up to them as it's their life.

On the fly thing, no, as it would require the same or more kinetic energy otherwise you would stop a car dead if it ran into you... which is just for superman really!

silver blaze
14-04-15, 10:08
I did attempt suicide the day before Christmas eve took some pills and brandy, my son found me and the paramedics brought me round I woke up in hospital the next day, and was discharged that morning felt awful for days spent Christmas day in bed, and there are days now when I wish I'd managed to free myself from this evil planet

Pipkin
14-04-15, 17:33
I saw that the subject of suicide was once again mentioned on the BBC news today, particularly with men. There was also a programme on late one night a few weeks back about suicide. I find myself drawn to watch anything about suicide but sometimes it's not a good thing as it makes me question myself.

It makes me wonder if I am the typical type who is prone to suicide, I've had suicidal thoughts but never tried anything. But now and again I still have the thoughts about doing it, I was at a level crossing the other day in my van and the thought popped in my head how easy it would be just to end my life.

It's not that I want to every day, some days I love life and am content with it even if I am still struggling with anxiety.

Is it something you think about but feel you're unlikely to do? Although generally viewed as an unhealthy state of mind, some people take solace from the thought of suicide as a last resort; an escape hatch when they feel everything else has failed.

Have you ever talked this particular issue over with anyone? I'd definitely recommend that you do.

I don't know what others think but I believe there is several categories to suicidal thoughts and there must be at least 3 because one is intrusive thoughts and another is just being so frustrated with anxiety and wanting it to end. The third would be more the true people who could want to take action, those really depressed. I don't know but I have experienced the first two categories many times.

Without wanting to get too philosophical, I think there's another category - those people who aren't depressed but just don't really see the value of living in general, or indeed starting new life. Best described as existential nihilism and I have fitted into this category many, many times. Of course for me, this could be an intrusive thought but they're nothing something I'm generally prone to.

Pip

Davit
14-04-15, 18:06
Terry

You know my thing about memory affecting us. We have all seen trains hit cars in movies and car crashes so it is possible these are just random associated thought, eg, level crossing, trains hit cars, wonder if I stop here if a train will hit me. Then you have the option of using it as a survival thought or a what if. Or both. I don't think the thought makes you suicidal. If you go to sleep and don't wake up again who does it affect, you will never know. Different from doing it on purpose. you know and you hurt a lot of people. You don't have the right to hurt people.

So in theory if you want to survive a crash with a vehicle of similar weight you want to be going faster than it. Up to a certain point upon which time you get squished anyway, no matter how many air bags you have.

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-15, 02:26
No, an intrusive thought doesn't make you suicidal in the same way that Pure O ones don't make you take action. Your reactions to them can make you anxious and lead to depression.

I tend to think of them like dreams really as they area as meaningless with their bizarre themes.

I think you would need mass + velocity to be equal to or greater than the opposing force.

---------- Post added at 02:26 ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 ----------

Is it something you think about but feel you're unlikely to do? Although generally viewed as an unhealthy state of mind, some people take solace from the thought of suicide as a last resort; an escape hatch when they feel everything else has failed.

Have you ever talked this particular issue over with anyone? I'd definitely recommend that you do.

Without wanting to get too philosophical, I think there's another category - those people who aren't depressed but just don't really see the value of living in general, or indeed starting new life. Best described as existential nihilism and I have fitted into this category many, many times. Of course for me, this could be an intrusive thought but they're nothing something I'm generally prone to.

Pip

I think many of us go through periods of this where we question the point of it all when we have periods of low mood. I guess if it becomes excessive in itself it would become the OCD version of this.