PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram - Dosage increase

Rollingperson
21-01-07, 13:06
Hi, does anyone have any experience of going up from 10mg to 20mg on these? I have been lucky not to have any side effects so far but am wondering if these might kick in when I start on 20mg,as its doubling the dosage. Any advice would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Kerry x

"Why do lovers, choose others,
we circle entwine one another,
in that mask that we wear with each other.
Oh my God how I looked in the mirror,
I looked at a hollow picture,
it was something I could frame"

happyone
21-01-07, 15:55
Hi,
Like you I started on 10 and had little side effects that I remeber, apart from maybe insomnia but that changed when I started taking it in the morning. When I went up to 20, if I did have side effects I can't remember them so they can't have been that bad. I had things like twitches but that may have been my anxiety, not the meds. I am now on 40 (don't worry, it is not automatic that you will go up I was just a bit off the wall[:I]) and now I am feeling effects such as lightheadedness but I expect it to ease.
Hope this helps.
Try not to worry about raising to 20, most people do as 10 is really just designed toget your system used to it.
Happyone

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

samc100
21-01-07, 16:14
Hi - I had some side effects when I started on 10mg e.g. dizzy, sleep problems. When I upped to 20mg the side effects were really minor - just a few waking up too early moments.

So try not to worry - I think being already on 10mg means you've done the hard bit

Chopper
22-01-07, 08:36
Mornin' Kerry,

I've been on various doses of Citalopram (10mg, 20mg, 30mg, 30mg/40mg on alternate days and now 40mg) for about 18 months now and have had multiple, persistant, side-effects which increased in intensity with the dosage. Some were quite embarrassing (as you'll see if you read some of my other posts!)[:I]

However, about a week to 10 days ago I finally felt, well, 'cured'! No shakes, no anxiety, no sweats, no twitches, no other symptoms/side-effects, just the 'old' me back again.

The first 4-6 weeks can be the worst, particularly the sleep problems, but I'd say persevere m'dear, persevere, it'll be worth it in the end.

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

spirit
24-06-08, 21:59
Hi, does anyone have any experience of going up from 10mg to 20mg on these? I have been lucky not to have any side effects so far but am wondering if these might kick in when I start on 20mg,as its doubling the dosage. Any advice would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Kerry x

"Why do lovers, choose others,
we circle entwine one another,
in that mask that we wear with each other.
Oh my God how I looked in the mirror,
I looked at a hollow picture,
it was something I could frame"
Hi there, i have found this site by accident, and your post jumped out at me, i have recentley had my dosage increased from 20 to 40 mg and so far i have had no side effects, just feel like i am in a bubble and a bit zombified. I know it was a while ago when you posted, but i feel a bit better just by writing to someone else who has been taking the same medication as me, warmest regards, Spirit.

willp
26-06-08, 10:14
Hi all,

I did have some side effects when increasing from 10mg to 20mg (though I was having other problems at the time ehich exacerbated these effects), but none when increasing from 20mg to 40mg.

However, the main thing you will notice is that if you do get side effects they will go after a couple of weeks and the medication will work. 20mg is the therapeutic dose so you really need to be on this dose to feel the benefits. Doctors often start people on 10mg to minimise the increased anxiety which can sometimes occur.

Good luck, and stick with it - it's worth it!

Will

Sarah26
01-07-08, 21:29
Hi ya, I started on 10mg and now on 20mg. I had no real side effects and put off taking them for about 18 months as I was to scared. I would say go for it. although I dont feel any real differnce just a more positive attitude every one around me has noticed a huge difference. So I would say they are defo worth trying out.
I am hoping to over come my train plane phobia very soon.
Will keep u all posted xxx
Love Sarah xx

Comfymark
22-01-09, 23:32
Hi Mark here - I have just been on Citalopram for a couple of months - 10mg, to deal with anxiety I felt at the thought of going back to the school where - after just 3 weeks as a teacher I was accused of saying unbelievable and gross things to some 17 year-old girls.
I found the side effects (of the Citalopram!) quite bizarre but I am getting used to them. I really don't like the feeling of being hollow in the middle - I just want to eat donuts. Reading posts on various sites, other people seem to suggest they put on weight with Citalopram, though apparently that is not supposed to be a side effect. I certainly have put on. Its just that I want to eat and "good" food doesn't hit the spot like cheese on toast or fried egg sandwiches.
I am going to try 1 tablespoon of cod liver oil every day to see if that helps cheer me up a bit, then maybe I can get off the Citalopram before I get bigger than a small car.
Does anyone else know anything about Citalpram and Vitamin D? I have a double interest because I have high cholesterol and take statins, and it could be suggested that they might reduce the amount of Vitamin D produced, which would have an effect on mood, anxiety etc.........
Wouldn't it be great if cod liver oil (yuk!) could beat Citalopram in the feel-good stakes!
Love to all
Mark

Katiecubs
29-01-09, 12:15
Hiya - I was on 10mg for two weeks with no side effects and have just increased to 20mg. It’s been 3 days now on the increased dose has really affected my sleep – I keep waking up every few hours and feel shattered in the morning. I have not been feeling sick though which is good – hoping the sleep thing will improve over the next week or so! :-) x

reallyfedup
29-01-09, 14:45
I started on 20mg Citalopram on 27th December for extreme anxiety. :ohmy: Last week my dr increased it to 30 mg. I did not feel soooo bad then but......:weep:
This week (tuesday) he has upped it again to 40 mg, but from yesterday I have started to feel more dizzy and anxious, my head is spinning and I am getting rushes of adrenalin, cold sensations in my body, pounding heart, butterflies, shaking and I feel almost 'not with it' and disorientated which in turn makes me panic. I have been crying more as well.
Does anyone think these are side effects because of my increased dose or am i going backwards with my anxiety?!?!??:scared15:

clare90
29-01-09, 14:50
I take 10mg of citalopram, and have sleep problems and always seem hungry at night.

My dose has been the same for months now, and doesn't make me feel good, for example I often feel suicidal, but my doctor doesn't listen to me when I say that I feel bad. :(

lucylocket
29-01-09, 15:24
Reallyfedup, i upped my dose on the 14th Jan to 40mg and i had increase anxiety and felt shaky, butterflies, dizzy , spaced out, stupid horrible thoughts, headaches and not with it . The last 2/3 days i have felt a bit calmer and better as the days go on, I am two weeks into my increased dose and thought that because i have been on different doses 20, 25, then 30 and now 40mg that i wouldn't get so bad side effects but i have . How long do you think it should take till i know if this is the right dose?? thanxs

suzy-sue
29-01-09, 17:02
HI ,YOU SHOULD GIVE IT 4-6 WEEKS ,THE DOSE USUALLY STABILIZES BY THIS TIME ,WELL IT HAS FOR ME ANYWAY.I USED TO HAVE BAD SLEEP PATTERNS AND ALSO FELT SICK! BUT AFTER 5WEEKS THE SICKNESS WENT AND THE SLEEP PATTERNS HAVE GOT BACK TO NORMAL THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS.IVE BEEN ON THIS FOR 3MONTHS NOW.AFTER 2MONTHS IHAD THE APPETITE OF A HORSE & WAS STARVING BEFORE BED,GOT ME WORRIED A BIT I MUST SAY ..HOWEVER THIS ONLY LASTED FOR ABOUT A MONTH , AND IM BACK TO MY USUAL EATING PATTERN. HOPE THIS HELPS.BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE,ITS WORTH IT IN THE END LUV SUE:hugs:

reallyfedup
29-01-09, 18:34
Reallyfedup, i upped my dose on the 14th Jan to 40mg and i had increase anxiety and felt shaky, butterflies, dizzy , spaced out, stupid horrible thoughts, headaches and not with it . The last 2/3 days i have felt a bit calmer and better as the days go on, I am two weeks into my increased dose and thought that because i have been on different doses 20, 25, then 30 and now 40mg that i wouldn't get so bad side effects but i have . How long do you think it should take till i know if this is the right dose?? thanxs

thank god I am not feeling so alone now(not that I would wish it on you though!) you are 2 weeks at this dose? I'm only 2 days! Hope it works for us. Let me know- good luck x:roflmao:

lucylocket
30-01-09, 08:48
Let me know how you get on Reallyfedup, with your increased dose. I was thinking all the people who have posted on this forum must have got better or they would still be asking questions???

reallyfedup
30-01-09, 10:21
I hope you are right. Fingers crossed:yahoo:

tray78
07-08-13, 13:31
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and suffer from panic attacks pretty bad. I was on Celexa 20 mg, for years!! and now had a certain obstacle in life that put me back to panic attacks for weeks, lost weight, no sleep, pacing at night worst thing ever.. My doc increased my celexa to 30mg, im on my 3rd week along with Ativan 2 x's a day to keep me calm but last couple days I started feeling anxious (buzzy) again, up at 6:30 this morning.. just wondering if anybody else here knows maybe I have not been on the 30mg long enough to have the full effect yet??

Feel like my whole summer this year has been just wasted on my stupid anxiety!!!!

Any suggestions from anybody?? :weep: