PDA

View Full Version : I feel like giving up

luckyme
15-04-15, 14:20
I wrote here a few days ago but I got one response.. I feel so bad lately and I don't know how to cope. I have had a weird staticy, itchy, crawling sensation on my skin (everywhere on my body) for a week now.. My trigger was someone talking about MS and a movie I watched. I don't understand how anxiety can cause such symptoms which leads me to believe that its not anxiety and that its MS or ALS. I'm depressed and i'm constantly thinking about this which i'm sure makes it much worse.. has anyone ever experienced this before?

Jbaine
15-04-15, 15:04
Same thing happened to me after I had my son about 5 years ago. My mom was talking to me about a lady she worked with who had MS. I had some tingling and and weird sensations in my left arm. I Googled MS and started to panic. Well when you search for MS you are bound to run into something that mentions the symptoms of ALS. I read about twitching and as soon as I read the words my left thigh began to twitch. I freaked out and then twitching spread everywhere.

The tingling in my arm went away after my son was done being bottle fed. The tingling was due to the way I held him when I fed him.

The twitching I have has gone 80% away. It happens a lot less now that I don't dwell on it. But now since I am here writing about it my left foot just got a twitch:winks:
It is anxiery. Everybody has twitching even those who aren't quite as anxious. I can sit next to my husband and feel his muscles twitch from time to time. He doesn't even notice because he isn't bothered by it.
Itchy crawly feelings are the same. The more you think about it the more it happens.

JMA
15-04-15, 15:14
The problem with this place, is that at the worse times, everyone is in the same boat. So it's hard to console someone, when you're feeling pretty grotty as well. What I am trying to say, is don't feel too bad if you don't get a reply. It's not personal, or a comment on you.

....just in case you were feeling that way.

and i'm constantly thinking about this which i'm sure makes it much worse

It does. In the bluntest fashion, get a hobby. Or something that will take your mind off your symptoms. Or at the very least start to keep a diary (http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/HealthAnxietyThoughtRecord.pdf) where you can challenge these thoughts.

Also, have a read of this: NHS HA Booklet. (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypochondria/Documents/Health%20Anxiety%20A4%20%202010.pdf)

The bottom line is it's more than likely anxiety. Don't underestimate it. If it can make you short of breath, your heart speed up, dissociation, cognition issues, and your palms sweaty, then it can make your skin feel a bit prickly.

luckyme
15-04-15, 15:50
thanks guys :)

swajj
15-04-15, 15:54
Yes like JMA said never underestimate it. It is vicious. And yes to getting a hobby too. My hobby. Is planning to get a hobby! Lol But. It is still a great idea. :)

Gary A
15-04-15, 16:07
Anxiety causes this by a combination of an over stressed central nervous system and hyper-vigilance. These feelings aren't "all in your head", but it's your head that makes them seem more real and scary. Hyperventilation is also a factor with skin crawling/tingly sensations. You're probably over breathing and don't even know it. This will cause many horrible sensations, tingling and numbness being one of them.

luckyme
15-04-15, 16:21
reading and exercise is my way of distraction which works but its till in the back of my mind

JMA
15-04-15, 16:22
Yes like JMA said never underestimate it. It is vicious. And yes to getting a hobby too. My hobby. Is planning to get a hobby! Lol But. It is still a great idea. :)

My hobby is to procrastinate more.

I'll start tomorrow.

swajj
15-04-15, 16:39
My hobby is to procrastinate more.

I'll start tomorrow.

lol

---------- Post added at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 ----------

reading and exercise is my way of distraction which works but its till in the back of my mind

I'm fine when I'm at work.

I love to read too. :)

Davit
15-04-15, 17:15
I've experienced it and actually know why it happens which isn't as important as knowing it is anxiety and not some disease.

feelthelove
15-04-15, 18:43
That's why i never watch programs about illness i never pay any attention to anyone telling me about someone elses illness , i once got told to 'grow up ' by a woman who was telling me all about her friend with brain tumor and the symptoms and such and i told her i didn't want to listen as i have a phobia and that's when she told me to grow up. I told her i don't care and i don't want to listen thank you .

So basically just don't watch films or documentaries about health it will set your mind wondering .

luckyme
15-04-15, 21:12
I sure won't after this..